What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Australian Medical Cannabis Madness!

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Warning, rant. Not sure there will be any interest in this but need to put this down somewhere.

In Australia we have had medical cannabis for a few years. It has become easier to get and most sick people are eligible. This is good and a step in the right direction, however there are major frustrations.

Even though I'm a grower I decided to get medical cannabis. Doing so means I can safely travel with my meds and vapes. I can attend concerts without worry of drug sniffer dogs (yes this is a thing at concerts in Australia). In short, it is peace of mind. Also I can get CBD oil which has been a game changer for me. CBD is prescription only here. In many ways we are a very anal and controlling country. All this is controlled by our Therapeutic Goods Agency (which essentially bans anything remotely fun).

First issue is the cost. Australian cannabis is both grown here and imported (from Canada, Israel, and Jamaica to name a few). As it is a medical product it must be free of mould so nearly all of it is irradiated (no problem for me; all our herbs are too). The cost is at black market level. Mostly for 10 grams I pay anywhere from $135-$180. The product selection is ok, but they are just rebranded illegal products that I am used to. I cannot get a pure sativa which I need due to my ADHD. Pure sativa's aren't economical for producers. Oils are quite expensive too and mostly imported. There are various clinics that charge anywhere from $70- $400 for an initial consult. I paid $200. This is with a doctor who usually knows very little about cannabis (much less than me), and seems to get their info from leafly. There are follow up consultations and many doctors seem to be aligned with favoured producers.

Second issue is drug driving laws. In all states (apart from Tasmania) it is illegal to drive with cannabis in your system. Impairment is not part of the equation. You can be random drug tested (oral swipe) and if you register with THC you will be fined and lose your licence. No one can tell you for sure how long after you vape or smoke, THC can be detected. In some people this is hours, others can register days later. There have been moves to change this with little success. There are a lot of conservative (Christian) politicians in many state parliaments who are just opposed to this. The irony is these tests do not test for opiates, or valium. You can be off your face and still drive.

There are a whole lot of people accessing the scheme who are clearly recreational users. No problems with that really accept that if that's the case then recreational needs to be legalised. The medical system have become the new dealers. To get a grow licence and set up with all the rules would cost around 10 million (according to a podcast I hear). Meanwhile medical patients cannot grow their own. The whole system is slanted toward big business and keeping out the small grower.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
A very justified rant chi,
thanks for getting this out there too ,
you give clear and concise explanations of the problem ...

so frustrating that this is occurring in our country ,
but as you mentioned its a very anal and controlling and highly regulated country ,
unbeknown to many people in other countries who think we are a laid back easy going place,
sure the people can be , but the politicians are a bunch of conservative wankers.

Apparently citizens here are not able to diagnose themselves , or administer harmless medicines ,
because they are not qualified practitioners ,
which is of course just crazy , any thing that attracts money , these pricks want a finger in the pie basically,
so you pay a doctor , a pharmacy , and all the in-betweens and of course the producers of the medicines and anyone else along the way ...
As pointed out by chi , these doctors have very little idea of the medicine, in this case cannabis, that they are providing , and basically just read it off notes that anyone could access ..

Some might ask why cant people like me , with a long background of growing , wide knowledge of strains and a fair idea of their medicinal properties get to grow some and provide it to the market ,
well there is no chance of that happening since i have been charged with growing it illegally ,
producing a dangerous drug ,
of course they now know its not dangerous , and in fact a good medicine for a number of ailments ,
does this change their opinion of my ability to grow it , even if for myself ,
no , because i have broken a law and will always be regarded as a criminal ,
anyhow i could go on and on , but that ll do for now ,, lol ...

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Thanks for the reply. I doubt there's many medical users on here from Australia so wasn't sure I'd get a response. I would love to hear about experiences from other countries to compare though.

You are right in that we were a laid back people, but bureaucracy and so called efficiency has just increased to the point we are ridiculously controlled in many areas of our lives.

Funny, when I first started looking into this I thought what a great opportunity for someone like Donald. Genetics and good growing know how, but it seems you have to pass a "character" test, with no past convictions. Contrast that with somewhere like flower powers state (cant think which one?) where they actually forgave past indiscretions. I looked into growing legally but the compliance and costs with regulations (especially security) is just crazy.

I would love it to be legalised and hope I live long enough to see it. New Zealand got so close, and Thailand was incredible. Dominoes are taking a while to fall though.

Meanwhile I am in this weird semi legal state. I have to grow my own sativas for medical reasons because no variety available does the same. I have to purchase some buds which I don't always need to look legit. Although some of it is great for back pain, nothing in the market helps the ADHD.

I can't also fathom how they can charge black market prices for a legal product, that lets face it, isn't really that hard to grow a decent product. I have more problems with my tomato plants than I do with cannabis.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor

Chi13

ICMag Donor
CBD oil is now an over the counter product and has been since the start of last year but it is expensive.
In 2021 I went to a doctor about medical cannabis and that cost me $220 for the visit, he prescribed CBD oil not cannabis flower (which I wanted as it takes my mind off the back pain whereas CBD does not).
If you end up in court for cannabis growing then send in this form;
CBD isn't available yet over the counter in practice. No company has met the required clinical and safety trials for the TGA. You can only legally buy it with a prescription, although a few companies are selling it online illegally. I've followed this closely and am 100% sure.

As of February 1st 2021, ARTG listed, low-dose cannabidiol (CBD) has been approved for over-the-counter sale in pharmacies across Australia by the Therapeutic Goods Administration. Once a company completes all the required clinical and safety trials, we will start seeing these products available without prescription.

Holeshot51

Sometimes you hear of all these great inventions and advances made by Australians. But on the other hand, we seem so far behind the rest of the world in other areas. It’s quite mind boggling.!!!
As far as the Medical weed goes . I signed up and bought some ,most is a little dry and void of terps. Some is quite strong though. I really liked the 12.5/12.5 oil. Works great for pain and relaxation
Mainly Indica / hybrids. It’s just lacking in my opinion.
I’d rather grow a couple in organic soil to provide myself

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Sometimes you hear of all these great inventions and advances made by Australians. But on the other hand, we seem so far behind the rest of the world in other areas. It’s quite mind boggling.!!!
As far as the Medical weed goes . I signed up and bought some ,most is a little dry and void of terps. Some is quite strong though. I really liked the 12.5/12.5 oil. Works great for pain and relaxation
Mainly Indica / hybrids. It’s just lacking in my opinion.
I’d rather grow a couple in organic soil to provide myself
I was a bit surprised by the lack of quality with the medical. Some of it's alright, but often it is not as good as what I can grow. What I haven't got is CBD varieties and I agree some of the mixed oils are great. I also have a 6/6 THC/CBD variety (Pennywise, grown in Canada) that has really surprised me!

If you want a proper sativa forget it. The only one I could find was a wild Thai which has now been discontinued due to bad reviews from kiddies who don't know what sativa high is.

We need to be able to grow our own medicine.

Holeshot51

I was a bit surprised by the lack of quality with the medical. Some of it's alright, but often it is not as good as what I can grow. What I haven't got is CBD varieties and I agree some of the mixed oils are great. I also have a 6/6 THC/CBD variety (Pennywise, grown in Canada) that has really surprised me!

If you want a proper sativa forget it. The only one I could find was a wild Thai which has now been discontinued due to bad reviews from kiddies who don't know what sativa high is.

We need to be able to grow our own medicine.
I think you should be allowed 6 -8 plants, including clones and seedlings.. that should be enough, depending on someone’s circumstances.
I was given some of the pennywise flower. It was quite potent . I didn’t realise it had cbd until a few days later.
Very impressed. Great flavour .
Mac 1 was good(expensive)
Topaz
I was mainly buying organic soil grown from Sativite. The wedding cake is good

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I think you should be allowed 6 -8 plants, including clones and seedlings.. that should be enough, depending on someone’s circumstances.
I was given some of the pennywise flower. It was quite potent . I didn’t realise it had cbd until a few days later.
Very impressed. Great flavour .
Mac 1 was good(expensive)
Topaz
I was mainly buying organic soil grown from Sativite. The wedding cake is good
Agree on the plants. I would need 3 or 4 varieties for various medical needs.

Yes Pennywise is great (renamed Libra for some reason). Proof that THC level really isn't the main thing about the high.

I wanted to try the MAC but present doc insists on other varieties.
I have tried several that have been average to good. Dulce, Iris, Libra (all Canadian) were good, Golden Grove very good (Thai). Jerusalem (an OG Kush from Israel) pretty disappointing. A couple of others I can't remember? Some of the oils have been fantastic, but only slightly better than my homemade.

Another annoying thing is that you can't buy less than 10 grams. It can be expensive if you have some variety that doesn't work for your ailment. Plus it means another expensive consult to get your script changed. I have several tubs/packets that I struggle to finish just because they aren't that good.

Last edited:

drosera420

Premium user
I feel for you guys. During a work trip there from the states the boss was driving a car full of us and got pulled over. She had to do a swab and it freaked me out. She said it was normal and legal. That's nuts. I'll stay here in Illinois with high price schwag they pass for Rec or Med cannabis. All hybrids anymore, very limited sativa choices and those are questionable. At least we can drive without question as long as your not smelling of booze or smoke if you get pulled over.

We do get 5 plants to grow for med use if you are a med patient with expensive card that's good for 3 years. The wife has lots of sativa now for her use.

TGA is another story, it's easier to import and comply than grow there and comply I'd imagine.

I did research prior to the visit and quit taking Kratom a week before, not going to chance bringing it along. Helps with my joints and focus but NOT legal over there either. More good medicine not allowed. Politics and anecdotal overdose stories keep tensions up about that too.

Holeshot51

Agree on the plants. I would need 3 or 4 varieties for various medical needs.

Yes Pennywise is great (renamed Libra for some reason). Proof that THC level really isn't the main thing about the high.

I wanted to try the MAC but present doc insists on other varieties.
I have tried several that have been average to good. Dulce, Iris, Libra were good, Golden Grove very good (Thai). Jerusalem (an OG Kush) pretty disappointing. A couple of others I can't remember? Some of the oils have been fantastic, but only slightly better than my homemade.

Another annoying thing is that you can't buy less than 10 grams. It can be expensive if you have some variety that doesn't work for your ailment. Plus it means another expensive consult to get your script changed. I have several tubs/packets that I struggle to finish just because they aren't that good.
I was getting 7g from Sativite for $120 +delivery. I actually asked them would they be doing 10g. They said they were looking into it, but extra cost due to freight etc was an issue.
I would like to know what the regulations are for this cannabis they are handing out .
The consumer has no idea.
I’ve been getting the organic soil grown, but still I have know idea what it is grown in or sprayed with

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I feel for you guys. During a work trip there from the states the boss was driving a car full of us and got pulled over. She had to do a swab and it freaked me out. She said it was normal and legal. That's nuts. I'll stay here in Illinois with high price schwag they pass for Rec or Med cannabis. All hybrids anymore, very limited sativa choices and those are questionable. At least we can drive without question as long as your not smelling of booze or smoke if you get pulled over.

We do get 5 plants to grow for med use if you are a med patient with expensive card that's good for 3 years. The wife has lots of sativa now for her use.

TGA is another story, it's easier to import and comply than grow there and comply I'd imagine.

I did research prior to the visit and quit taking Kratom a week before, not going to chance bringing it along. Helps with my joints and focus but NOT legal over there either. More good medicine not allowed. Politics and anecdotal overdose stories keep tensions up about that too.
It's great to hear your perspective. The driving law is just nuts. I don't drive high anyway but as long as they can detect minute quantities of THC, you get done. That could be hours or days after last consuming. In an alternative community area (near Nimbin) this is used as intimidation by the cops. The consequence of being caught is that you lose your license and get a substantial fine. If you live somewhere rural this is catastrophic. Also your car insurance will be void if in an accident and then register for THC in your system. Note, it is not even impairment; it just has to be in your system.

There's a lot of great things about Australia, but some of our rules just go too far. TGA just bans everything as a first option.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I was getting 7g from Sativite for $120 +delivery. I actually asked them would they be doing 10g. They said they were looking into it, but extra cost due to freight etc was an issue.
I would like to know what the regulations are for this cannabis they are handing out .
The consumer has no idea.
I’ve been getting the organic soil grown, but still I have know idea what it is grown in or sprayed with
You make a good point. It is hard to find out how the cannabis is grown. Sometimes if you search some of the review sites there will be some information and hints. If I grow myself I go all organic. I never use any sprays, not even neem oil. I hate to think what might be used. Most of my varieties have been Kind Medical which are grown in Canada. It says sustainably/naturally but no idea what that really means?

Holeshot51

Yeah the organic stuff I was getting was from Canada. I only grow in soil now , after years of using coco. It’s just easier for me now and I know what I’m feeding it.
Best to use natural sprays, Sulfur, boron, silica .
And good bugs.
If your plants are healthy and your not feeding to much NPK , overwatering. Should be ok.
It takes a while to work this all out .😂
I found the high thc oils make me a little agitated .

Last edited: