What's new

Audiophiles

TheUnknownGrowe

Not just music, but what are you listening through?

im currently using budget equipment, Integra (Onkyo) integrated amp, 4 Soundstage towers, and a Pair of Velodyne subs.
running 4 channel stereo (a&b), simple accurate and poundingly loud thanks to the Chrysalis labs Velodyne 12” ported and the Velodyne 18” servo controlled sealed subs….

Attachments

• 625CEB13-3AC1-443D-AED7-1DB17F8F8AAA.jpeg
    625CEB13-3AC1-443D-AED7-1DB17F8F8AAA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
  • 5736E0BF-0F0E-46E8-8223-C41300FE45CF.jpeg
    5736E0BF-0F0E-46E8-8223-C41300FE45CF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 83
  • A42807F9-A963-4A18-9F1E-27812385574A.jpeg
    A42807F9-A963-4A18-9F1E-27812385574A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
  • 0AB2CAC5-ADD4-49CA-B2C7-0651125081D3.jpeg
    0AB2CAC5-ADD4-49CA-B2C7-0651125081D3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83

Cactus Squatter

Listening through Monitor Audio GS60s powered by an outlaw audio amp and currently a deftech super cube 1 sub from my old theater setup but will be upgrading to 2 REL subs soon.

I also just hit up my hifi guy this morning about finally replacing my amp section with something better.

As far as what I’m listening to, that would be everything except pop country/rap country/talentless pop garbage anything, or anything poorly recorded because my gs60s highlight every flaw in a crap recording.

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
Yamaha Piano Craft with 60w Original Speakers. Classic Stereo with CD and USB, bought it 2009, still running fine. 🥰(y) I'm using it for watching videos/movies etc. too, love the warm sound. :)

Listening to music every day as long as i can and not a big fan of headphones.

Ca++

I really fancy an Arcam A30 with it's dsp tech. It's so hard to get a good amp with tone controls. However you can at least flick through 3 of your PC tailored presets. Giving the option to cut low bass at night, or boost it for some jiggy factor. It's still not quite enough though, as it's the HF I tend to cut when recordings are not very good. There is little on the market though, and as they add tech, there is always a little addition that guaranties it won't work fully in 10 years.
My amp right now is a Roksan K3. A very basic amp, with just one feature. Bluetooth. Which was removed mid production. I use a miniDSP though. A little box that takes from my PC usb and processes while still in the digital domain. In it's most basic form, it's a graphic whos sliders can be altered. Both spot frequency and width. However it can use many shaped filters, and take settings from PC software that analises the room, as a dsp generally does.
Many have spent years finding speakers that fit their room, and adding bass traps and such to keep the response flat. A DSP can do so much more, with what you already have.
I keep my older Arcam 8r as I know I will shift on the Roksan when the right replacement comes along. I'm yet to do a side by side, but the Roksan is a 16kg lump of power, that the 50wpc Arcam has a distinct disadvantage against. Though it does have bass&treble. There is no ideal response when recordings are so varied, so I just can't get by without tone controls.

I like the Tiny Desk Concerts on youtube. I have found myself listening to artists I would of turned off on the car radio. Dua Lipa. Ravenna. Tank and the Bangas. Khruangbin. Non of which sound much good elsewhere.

Cactus Squatter

I really fancy an Arcam A30 with it's dsp tech. It's so hard to get a good amp with tone controls. However you can at least flick through 3 of your PC tailored presets. Giving the option to cut low bass at night, or boost it for some jiggy factor. It's still not quite enough though, as it's the HF I tend to cut when recordings are not very good. There is little on the market though, and as they add tech, there is always a little addition that guaranties it won't work fully in 10 years.
My amp right now is a Roksan K3. A very basic amp, with just one feature. Bluetooth. Which was removed mid production. I use a miniDSP though. A little box that takes from my PC usb and processes while still in the digital domain. In it's most basic form, it's a graphic whos sliders can be altered. Both spot frequency and width. However it can use many shaped filters, and take settings from PC software that analises the room, as a dsp generally does.
Many have spent years finding speakers that fit their room, and adding bass traps and such to keep the response flat. A DSP can do so much more, with what you already have.
I keep my older Arcam 8r as I know I will shift on the Roksan when the right replacement comes along. I'm yet to do a side by side, but the Roksan is a 16kg lump of power, that the 50wpc Arcam has a distinct disadvantage against. Though it does have bass&treble. There is no ideal response when recordings are so varied, so I just can't get by without tone controls.

I like the Tiny Desk Concerts on youtube. I have found myself listening to artists I would of turned off on the car radio. Dua Lipa. Ravenna. Tank and the Bangas. Khruangbin. Non of which sound much good elsewhere.
Those tiny desk concerts are freaking awesome. Check out the Tash Sultana one of you haven’t already.

I’ve been thinking of trying some arcam stuff, there’s just no one local that sells them that allows in home demoing or will allow my speakers into the store to test with it. I really miss the old days of hifi with boutique stores everywhere.

Ca++

Oh that is Awkward. Plus the Arcam sound has evolved towards a more neutral balance. On a 1-10 scale where 5 is neutral, I think they have gone from a 2 25 years ago, to a 4 now.
I had a pioneer A400 before the Arcam. That was fast, lean and forward. I built speakers to tame the treble and add lots more of the fast tight bass. Then one day bought some TDLs and thought they were broken. First impression was just tweeters. I reckon the A400 was a 9 on that scale. I took the speakers to my dealer and in my 1995 £500 budget is was only the Arcam that could tame them. Though at the time we had the yamaha natural sound kit still available. Which is the only thing I would really score as a 1. Smooth as a mud bath that stuff.
My ear is really quite British. If the hf detail isn't right, then put a towel over it. Better without. We like a good level of deep bass, beyond that of American kit as we don't get the room gain of wooden houses. Both qualities seen in UK kit. I don't really like the Japanese brands. Their traditional music gives clues to how their kit handles things. I'm a firm believer on soft domes or even no tweeter at all. I have cut the things out when buying car audio starter brands.

I like the dynaudio and morel stuff. Non fatiguing. Though I seem to have a bit of Kef stuff mounting up to. My mains are the R700

That's a nice setup you've got, those servo controlled subs operate with finesse. I've been listening to music through the Philharmonic BMR monitors for the past 9 years, incredibly detailed, large/deep soundstage and never fatiguing. I added a Rythmik F18 sealed sub woofer 3-4 years ago, a very tight and musical sub but also useful for HT use. Hooked up to a Marantz SR5015 receiver. I'm hoping at some point, maybe in a year or two, to upgrade to the BMR HT Tower. I've also have acoustic treatment that I use for more serious listening sessions, large foam bass traps in the corners and 3 sets of GIK acoustics 244 panels. I store the majority of my music digitally for convenience and use Foobar2000 as my music player. I've got 9 weeks and 5 days of music in my collection, 75% of which I've listened to extensively. I'm always keeping an eye out for something new though.
Resized_20190813_010959.jpeg

3430285-1aa150e9-rythmik-e15hp2-direct-servo-subwoofer.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts