What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Attack of the Attack Birds.

St. Phatty

"Just a Flesh Wound, from the Pet Bird"

I think the rooster drew a little blood.

This is through Levi's, and only one attack with 2 or 3 kicks.

He has very sharp spurs on his legs. He does manage to connect with them.

IMG_20201013_051524+.jpg

He has been very protective of the hens, or maybe he has reached a case of Psycho-ness that goes beyond the normal.

He follows me and attacks me.

This started last year after he watched a Falcon kill the previous Alpha Male Bird.

He also 1/2 attacks the cat, just gives him a "Battle Peck".

attack-bird7b.jpg

It's tempting to try and make more of him, i.e. the Attack Bird.

To get a whole Flock of Attack Birds !

Imagine if you had 5 vicious roosters TRAINED to attack an intruder.

These are not normal barnyard birds, which are malnourished and under exercised.

They free range all day long, and in the morning they get Vitamins, extra calcium, cooked white rice, etc.

A fully healthy bird is much more reminiscent of the Jungle Fowl that they are descended from, in Southeast Asia, supposedly.
Also reminds me of the Velociraptor in Jurassic Park.

When they start following you around and attacking you ...

I'm thinking of wrapping lead, as in Heavy Metal, around his legs to add some weight during training sessions.

There is a fox that sits on the hill about 75 yards up and just watches the hens and the 2 roosters. Does not come near them.

The other day I exercised him for about 3 minutes. Doesn't sound like much but he is kicking me as hard as he can, and trying to fly like a Hummingbird.

Since he's a well fed 10 pound rooster, he can kick and fly for about the first minute 15 seconds of the attack.

Then he is breathing hard and is much easier to catch.

attack-bird4b.jpg

Attachments

• attack-bird7b.jpg
    attack-bird7b.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 78

St. Phatty

attack-bird6b2.jpg

Special Little Bird uses the tools at his disposal.

He doesn't have quite the beak of a Falcon, but it's still slightly fearsome.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There are a lot of people in the SE that raise and fight chickens. Toss the bastid in the ring.

therevverend

Veteran
Yep that's a big dude. One winter we had hens show up on our doorstep. Of course we fed them so they stuck around. They hid their eggs in the bushes, brooded them and had chicks. They turned out to all be roosters. 6 of them. They didn't mind us but they didn't like each other. They'd fight all day. The weakest one would end up covered in blood but he never really backed down. Eventually he started hanging out in the middle of the road. Which ended poorly for him but well for us. Best chicken curry ever.

St. Phatty

Yep that's a big dude. One winter we had hens show up on our doorstep. Of course we fed them so they stuck around. They hid their eggs in the bushes, brooded them and had chicks. They turned out to all be roosters. 6 of them. They didn't mind us but they didn't like each other. They'd fight all day. The weakest one would end up covered in blood but he never really backed down. Eventually he started hanging out in the middle of the road. Which ended poorly for him but well for us. Best chicken curry ever.

A year ago I had about 7 roosters.

They got along really well as long as they were allowed to free range over about 9 acres.

They ate my neighbor's garden so I had to keep them in the garage. Then they started fighting.

A broom works on the hens and on the Friendly rooster. It doesn't really hold off the Attack Rooster.

For him, I have a major weight advantage. I just push him into the ground and grab him by the feet.

People complain about their roosters attacking children, but THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO DO.

These birds only have 200 million brain cells/ neurons. A lot of their behavior is completely hardwired.

I think the people with Roosters and Children, need to teach the children to tame the rooster.

Just pin it down, grab it by the feet, and carry it around upside down for a few minutes.

That tends to slow it down.

therevverend

Veteran
When I was four I tried to be friend's with my grandma's chickens. Pet them or hug them or something. I got pecked on the head. It sucked, I cried and stayed the hell away from the coop. It was a good lesson. Just because you're a human doesn't mean everything in the world should bow down and respect you. Chickens have territories, all animals have territories, but we can bumble through life oblivious. Parents should be glad their little brats aren't stumbling into an emu or ostrich's territory.

St. Phatty

When I was four I tried to be friend's with my grandma's chickens. Pet them or hug them or something. I got pecked on the head.

Once I was growing in a national park, though too much of a profile from the air. They don't like people using 5 gallon buckets - I saw a helicopter fly with 2 guys fly over my plants !

Once on the way to those plants, I was passing by a tree of some kind and it made the LOUDEST noise.

Just a bird squawking !

I'm thinking a female bird sitting on her nest.

It was like being at a rock concert next to the speaker, surprisingly loud.

I thought, OH NO, it's the Chupacabra !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

armedoldhippy

Veteran
There are a lot of people in the SE that raise and fight chickens. Toss the bastid in the ring.

take him to a farmers market in Newport TN & sell him. them ol' boys in Cocke County pay good money for mean-ass roosters. they bust a fighting ring down that way every year or two...normally, about a month before an election...

St. Phatty

take him to a farmers market in Newport TN & sell him. them ol' boys in Cocke County pay good money for mean-ass roosters. they bust a fighting ring down that way every year or two...normally, about a month before an election...

I would like to have a fighting ring, but without hurting the birds.

Let them fight until one of them wants out.

But bird fighting has such a bad rep. And Facebook has SUCH SENSITIVE Karen'ish people.

If I tried to organize a bird fighting group, I know there would be a bunch of whiners. "Cruelty".

Nope. Not the first part.

I'm the one who breaks it up when one or both have had enough.

zzzybil

Mine ended up Easter dinner for friend that dispatched him . Never been scared of something i fed . Sure just defending his girls , eggs ...........whatever........that big beast was SERIOUS about taking me down ........ hada go

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I would like to have a fighting ring, but without hurting the birds.

Let them fight until one of them wants out.

But bird fighting has such a bad rep. And Facebook has SUCH SENSITIVE Karen'ish people.

If I tried to organize a bird fighting group, I know there would be a bunch of whiners. "Cruelty".

Nope. Not the first part.

I'm the one who breaks it up when one or both have had enough.

in the barnyard, they seldom kill each other. those nifty little razors which they strap to the birds natural spurs is what does most of the damage. apparently. the big-money bettors like to see losers die...and quickly. a fight might last an hour or more without the knives. these folks want to watch a few dozen. if not for that nasty bit, most folks go "meh. roosters gonna fight..." TN is one state of twelve in which it is not a felony these days. hmm...😏

St. Phatty

in the barnyard, they seldom kill each other. those nifty little razors which they strap to the birds natural spurs is what does most of the damage. apparently. the big-money bettors like to see losers die...and quickly. a fight might last an hour or more without the knives. these folks want to watch a few dozen. if not for that nasty bit, most folks go "meh. roosters gonna fight..." TN is one state of twelve in which it is not a felony these days. hmm...😏

Sometimes the fighting is not violent at all.

I've seen young roosters slow dancing, maybe because they were tired from fighting.

They just lean against each other. Look like teenagers at the Prom.