What's new

Arizona to Vote On Medical Marijuana - Again!

Skip

Veteran
After having passed a Medical Marijuana Initiative twice, in 1996 and 1998, Arizona residents will get to vote again on legalizing medical marijuana. The November 2010 ballot initiative, sponsored by the Arizona Medical Marijuana Policy Project, recently reached 192,000 signatures, significantly more than the 150,000 required for placement. The previous initiatives did not take effect once due to the wording and the second time because the law conflicted with federal law.

The initiative would permit patients and caregivers to purchase up to two-and-a-half ounces of usable marijuana from regulated clinics rather than the criminal market.
The regulated clinics, often known as dispensaries, will all operate as non-profit organizations. The initiative also would allow permitted patients or caregivers to cultivate their own marijuana for medical purposes if a regulated clinic is not located within 25 miles of the patient.
http://www.collegenews.com/index.ph...be_on_november_2010_ballot_12072009111178532/

O

OrganicOzarks

Fortunatly the 25 mile limit will be thrown out in court. You have to take baby steps to get to where you want to go, but I do think that this could have been left out. Lets say that I get approved and I am 5 miles from a dsipensary, but I only use Organic Medicine. Also let's say that I not only use organic medicine, but that I only use Chemdog bx1, and OG Kush Fire cut. Well if the local dispensary will not provide it for me then based off of this law I can sue them and the State. Because they would both be denying me access to my medicine. It will be impossible for a dispensary to grow every kind of herb there is let alone every way that it can be grown. It will not last 6 months if it passes. However I hope that MPP did that intentionally to help get the law passed. Some how I don't think so though. Atleast it is a step in the right direction, and then you can take it to court.

Skip

Veteran
Yeah, it's competely absurd to say that one person can grow based solely on the distance from a dispensary, while another cannot, forcing them to purchase medicine rather than growing it themselves.

That's like saying it's illegal to grow tomatoes yourself if there's a grocery nearby.

What is their rationale for that? To promote dispensary business? To keep individual growers from competing with dispensaries?

It's kinda similar to what the Gang of Four is trying to do with their legalization bill which will make commercial grows limited to just a few dispensary owners within a given region. Any other grows would be deemed illegal.

Any law that seeks to find MORE WAYS to criminalize the possession or growing marijuana is intolerable and should be shouted down!

It's either legal or it ain't! Don't go adding more and more situations where it's going to be illegal. That doesn't help anyone except a few already wealthy businesses and gives LEOs more excuses to bust a legit biz.

StellarP

ICMag Donor
Well, I wonder what the State Legislature's excuse will be when it passes a third time? This has passed twice in contrary to what the state leaders wanted. As printed the first time, the wording was fine, they did not expect it to pass. The second vote passed by the citizens had the wording reversed in an attempt to thwart the voter. The voters were not fooled, and it passed again.
So the legislature says it contradicts federal law, well, alot of "states" laws are contradictory, has not stopped them before. Actually the state government went after physicians, threatening arrest if they wrote scrips.:elf:

Now that the legislature can use California as a model(?), they have something to go by. The politicians in Arizona would(read cant) never be able to devise a proper system on their own.(Highest unemployment in U.S. currently, and deep in debt, almost 2billion in hole)
This will pass, again, but this time the State Legislature has dug such a hole financially they will be pushing for these tax $$$. Once again the mighty dollar gets things done!:xmasnut:

In addition, all online students attending Univ. of Phoenix or subsidiary helped make this happen. The "owner" (Spurling) has been a very large donator in Arizona (and other states) in helping this get passed.
Soon enough states will ratify the Constitution and another prohibition will be gone.

Peace
StellarP

Yeah, how many times do we have to vote that shit in? Third time's the charm...

My guess is that the 25 mile limit is intended to discourage everyone and their brother from starting grows. Once that floodgate is opened we'll end up like Humboldt! LOL

Now's the time to invest in real estate! The cartels will be house hunting soon...

Lord Doobie

That's a really fucked up state. I've been to it several times and made sure to steer clear of the cops each and every time.

For example, they had to pass a state law requiring businesses to give anyone water when requested. Why? One business refused to give someone water because they wanted to watch the guy die of thirst.

Senator John McCain and his good ol' boys vetoed MLK day several years there before it finally passed.

Yup, yup,...except for the Grand Canyon, AZ is a great place to stay away from...ultra conservative like FLA

Wilshire

That 25 mile rule is bullshit! Isn't there a bill in california for decriminalisation and they won't allow people to grow their own unless you're to far from a dispensary? To me it seems like these people are putting these restrictions up so that you are force to go to their stores so that they can make a buck... Say good bye to reasonably priced Cannabis :(

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No the dispensaries arent supposed to make a profit... Why that is, i dont know... Its bullshit, but baby steps are better than no steps at all... Hope this passes! Good luck AZ!

bluepeace

Fingers crossed, I'm looking for a new Job! Cannabis Breeder that sounds nice. You know that all the hooka bars and the cheba hut is just waiting.

hazy

Veteran
My guess is they want to limit availability to 'regulated' dispensaries to do just that. Regulate. Easier with fewer folks to watch. I'd worry that if I opened up shop and then one day the law changes, they know me inside and out.

When it says that patients or caregivers can grow, are the caregivers supplying the dispensary? I guess i could be a caregiver. As long as the cops don't have to check out my grow to be legal.

edit: Actually i'd rather just be able to grow my own meds and maybe for one other patient. I'd be pissed if I had to buy meds from someone else instead of grow my strains myself, just because a dispensary was within 25 miles.