What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

are there any 'reasonably' quiet air pumps

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
bought this vevor 8bucket dwc system - the pump is toooo loud for the room we will place it- i have a hydrofarm pump we purchased some years ago, and it toooo is loud... i need a pump that is quieter ... if such a thing exists.. thanks

Mithridate

Check out eheim air pump, a little pricier but quieter...

Have you considered flooming/waterfalls ?

Personally I use one of these...
20230702_183617.jpg

Because I find the sound of a 125cc motocross very soothing 🤣

Last edited:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Active Aqua, the one and only place for air pumps and chillers.
i see this on home depot website - i need '8' outlets, so 2 pumps each with 4 mite be the way to go, god forbid one pumps craps out, can always make due with one (i have an 8 output attachment) - apparently comments on line say it quiet...

i see this on home depot website - i need '8' outlets, so 2 pumps each with 4 mite be the way to go, god forbid one pumps craps out, can always make due with one (i have an 8 output attachment) - apparently comments on line say it quiet...
I've always noticed that the aquarium style pumps are way quieter than the one you posted* not you someone else above* my bad (gph for gph). I don't know what numbers you need for a DWC, but they'd still be quieter doubled up. I've used a Whisper AP300 (gph) to run two 25 gal reservoirs for my reg garden start's flood table for years, and if it's on a solid base you don't really hear it, even in the room.

WonkasTHC

just bought the '2' from home depot - if they are toooo loud, will return and continue my search...
Im not sure how loud the active aqua pumps are, i just know they are the most trusted by a few top notch hydro guys i know. Some of their pumps have 75+ grows under them and run flawlessly still

bs0

bought this vevor 8bucket dwc system - the pump is toooo loud for the room we will place it- i have a hydrofarm pump we purchased some years ago, and it toooo is loud... i need a pump that is quieter ... if such a thing exists.. thanks
Use a submerged pump instead of pumping air. You want water movement not necessarily bubbles. Submerged pump on a recycle timer will do as much or more than pumping an air stone.

I run my rez w/ a 100gph (tiny) pump at 2 min on 30min off. If you aren't working off a central rez & each pot is discrete this probably won't work though... Can add too much heat to system.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
yeah thanks but no central reservoir... those little aqua pumps, work well, lots of air/bubbles moving ... so far working ok....

negative37dBA

Veteran
Use a submerged pump instead of pumping air. You want water movement not necessarily bubbles. Submerged pump on a recycle timer will do as much or more than pumping an air stone.

I run my rez w/ a 100gph (tiny) pump at 2 min on 30min off. If you aren't working off a central rez & each pot is discrete this probably won't work though... Can add too much heat to system.
No way in hell water movement will create air in the water. What have you been smoking?
I run RDWC and have water movement 24/7. My plants will die if I turn off the air pumps.

benjuanman

Veteran
I mean... I ran a 36 site rdwc for over 5 years without any air pump. So there must be a way, no ?
Was this a DIY system or a pre-made one. Also how big was the water pump for it? Curious to know how much movement your system had for it to be possible.

Mithridate

Was this a DIY system or a pre-made one. Also how big was the water pump for it? Curious to know how much movement your system had for it to be possible.
Yes it was a diy setup.

Pump has to be rated for 15x the water volume or more depending on configuration. You can get away with less gph if you go the "top feed" route on each site etc

need4weed

Veteran
I mean... I ran a 36 site rdwc for over 5 years without any air pump. So there must be a way, no ?
Yeah, from my understanding is that the air bubbles in the water dont really increase the DO, more so if the surface of the water is moving. I thought the DO is increased when the bubbles break at the surface when using a diffuser. A waterfall effect is as equally effective