What's new

Are Afghani's mold resistent outdoors?

Old Piney

Wouldn't that be living the dream.
I'm not buying it. I'm not sure how many hundred outdoor varieties I have seen, but certain themes are hard to ignore. We are talking ventilation here. How plants have evolved over centuries, to live in different climates, is information worth more than a sales pitch
I wasn't making a sales pitch just making observations about their line up of varieties offered and how that relates to my own experience. I've had fluffy Durban poison mold up really bad , it's widely touted as mold-resistant. I've grown Moroccan beldia for two years now with no mold , why would it have adapted to wet conditions? Organisms certainly adapt to their environment through natural selection but there nothing saying that they aren't tolerant anyhow. Look at chickens for example they were native to Indonesia but they are quite cold-tolerant. As far as bud structure the flip side of the argument is fluffy buds soak up water like a sponge and tight buds repel water. Regardless the fact remains there are strains with Afghani heritage with tight bud structures that are quite mold-resistant E.G Friesland Indica

Ca++

I wasn't making a sales pitch just making observations about their line up of varieties offered and how that relates to my own experience. I've had fluffy Durban poison mold up really bad , it's widely touted as mold-resistant. I've grown Moroccan beldia for two years now with no mold , why would it have adapted to wet conditions? Organisms certainly adapt to their environment through natural selection but there nothing saying that they aren't tolerant anyhow. Look at chickens for example they were native to Indonesia but they are quite cold-tolerant. As far as bud structure the flip side of the argument is fluffy buds soak up water like a sponge and tight buds repel water. The fact remains there are strains with Afghani heritage with tight bud structures that are very mold-resistant E.G Friesland Indica

No, you didn't make sales pitch, I don't think. You used an example of what can be bought though. In the context that it could also be grown. We hope the two are the same thing, but can't say that it is.

I think this thread is well balanced. The OP has asked about afghan, and nearly all replies have been against it. Certainly some characteristics have been carried over into outline lines, but then, that's not afghan anymore.

Somebody somewhere has done pure afghan outdoors, and got away with it. I have no doubt. Afghanistan is full of such people. However, it's not generally listed as an outdoor plant.

Old Piney

However, it's not generally listed as an outdoor plant.
What is generally listed and I will add generally brainlessly repeated is not necessarily true. I ran two Afghani just this year. One was TRSC Afghani mix and the other was my Afghani #1 x Hindu Kush no mold. The Af#1x HK was early last week in sep and the Mix was late end of oct. Soaking wet humid New Jersey whether the whole time. What first hand knowledge/experience do you have to tell? Oops I'm pitching for TRSC now lol
1703162705814.jpeg

Last edited:

Ca++

Did I say well balanced?
I meant to say you're on your own. With about 10 people saying otherwise.

Obviously you are free to say most breeders are wrong, and that anyone repeating them is brainless. You are an extreme minority though. As for me, I recognise my views are just one of many. All of whom I stand behind, as there has been some great replies here. As was yours, until you started getting defensive.

I have not actually done afghan outdoors. That's not because I lack experience though. It's entirely the opposite. I have done some crazy things though, like the HK, as people said it would work, and I had it to hand. Most people here don't need telling how that turned out.

browntrout

Veteran
So from my experience Afghani strains are not particularly prone to gray mold. Over the years I've grown Afghani #1, Hindu Kush and several other Afghani and Pakistani strains. I'm in N.J , so I know about humidity and wet autumns .I have found that problems with gray mold are mostly caused by caterpillars that bore into the buds. I am fairly sure that they are cabbage worms .I control them with BT ( it's a biological certified organic )keep a close eye for the tiny caterpillars they before they bore in and spray. Also keep an eye for the little white butterflies that lay the eggs .I my opinion and experience just because a strain comes from a dry climate dosen't mean it's prone to mold. Also I don't go along with the belief that dense buds are more prone than more loose buds. There is a seed co called Getaway Mountain seeds based in coastal Maine that only breeds and sells mold-resistant strains. If you look at their line up you'll see Afghani hybrids , Pakistani and Road kill skunk many described as having rock hard buds
I agree, The plants that get the worse mold are the plants with insect damage going into flower and during. It does not need to be caterpillars, however usually smaller insect damage/wounds that are minuscule but often where the mold starts.

Terpinolene carrying plants are the most mold resistant I’ve ever seen in 15 years of growing outdoor in a northern coastal climate, I attribute this to the terpene naturally warding off insects. Purple budded plants also. ‘79 Xmas bud is classic indica type plant and has some of the tightest outdoor buds I’ve seen with a healthy amount of terpinolene and no mold! The hybrids are even better.

PCK is also mold resistant but I have another theory about purples, but I would tend to say Afghani and hybrids typically are on the moldier side from what I experienced. Open bud structures do help in moist/windless areas but not to a huge extent.

Himalayan genes seem pretty good in the mold department but come with a lengthy flower.

browntrout

Veteran
I wasn't making a sales pitch just making observations about their line up of varieties offered and how that relates to my own experience. I've had fluffy Durban poison mold up really bad , it's widely touted as mold-resistant. I've grown Moroccan beldia for two years now with no mold , why would it have adapted to wet conditions? Organisms certainly adapt to their environment through natural selection but there nothing saying that they aren't tolerant anyhow. Look at chickens for example they are native to Indonesia yet they are quite cold-tolerant. As far as bud structure the flip side of the argument is fluffy buds soak up water like a sponge and tight buds repel water. The fact remains there are strains with Afghani heritage with tight bud structures that are very mold-resistant E.G Friesland Indica

I wouldn’t say Friesland has a tight bud, certainly tighter than a NLD landrace. But not tight, somewhere in the middle. Depends on the Durban, the early hybridized in situ durbans that finished early seemed to do well. The Dutch Passion offering of Durban poison that is known to be a hybrid did very well in the mold but also a terpinolene to the max plant.

Your posts about the Moroccan have me intrigued, I’ll have to scoop some up for a test garden here in the humid hell hole.

Arnold.

In my experience Afghan Hashplants can be astonishing good against botrytis. Can go the other side as well, I must add...

I had an all Afgan hybrid from Bob Hemphill finish here end of October at 52N and even after two weeks of non stop rain it did not have one speck. A sister next to her totally melted.

And yes you can have rock hard buds that do not rot, the dream is true.
As well as airy buds that start molding when you breath on them :)

The endless variance in this plant makes it so fun.

Old Piney

This is probably the key; mold grows better in warm conditions, especially if there is no air movement.
Yes I believe you are correct the worst gray mold I ever had was during a tropical storm 3 days of crazy warm humid tropical air and rain every thing molded

Old Piney

Moroccan have me intrigued, I’ll have to scoop some up for a test garden here in the humid hell hole.
You should ,here when the beldia is finishing we have our share of hot humid days and rain. It's just not strong but I like it

Last edited:

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Frieseland , willies wonder weed and r2 (nl#2 has thai innit so not a pure ghani) will withstand weeks of rain, floods, hurricanes and blizzards like they are water foul lol

We had the worst fall last season. 90km wind storms. Days on end of cold and rain. Sadley even my hardy pre soviet kabuls and kandaharis didn't stand a chance after a while. The pakis succumbed eventually too.

True f1 hybrids did the best over-all. They have something special. Can you cross 2 pure ghanis together to get that special "vigor"?

Blackouts for the win this season boys! I'm planning g to harvest everything...even long flowering sativas by Sept 7

Popey

Veteran
Sometimes you can be very surprised. PCK (main bud) got moldy in my indoor grow xD Panama wasn't moldy even at 1% :love:

Latest posts

Latest posts