What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aphids on my blackberry and raspberry plants, how to deal with them?

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
I have just discovered aphids on my blackberry and raspberry plants after finding ants crawling over them, I have put Antrid down but the ants are not going for it as the aphids are more attractive to them.

Do I use horticultural oil or neem oil to deal with the aphids and how do I apply it, once a week until the aphids are gone or every couple of days, I am guessing that after rain I need to reapply it once the rain has stopped?

How long after use do I need to withhold picking fruit (there is no ripe fruit yet, it is only just starting to grow)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have just discovered aphids on my blackberry and raspberry plants after finding ants crawling over them, I have put Antrid down but the ants are not going for it as the aphids are more attractive to them.

Do I use horticultural oil or neem oil to deal with the aphids and how do I apply it, once a week until the aphids are gone or every couple of days, I am guessing that after rain I need to reapply it once the rain has stopped?

How long after use do I need to withhold picking fruit (there is no ripe fruit yet, it is only just starting to grow)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I would hit them every three days until they are gone. I would also use neem with a drop of dish soap mixed with warm water.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Just looked up a local hardware store for neem oil and it says not for edibles so should I use white oil/horticultural oil instead?

buzzmobile

Veteran
A soap spray will kill them. They are easy to kill but hard to eliminate. Soap spray is a contact killer so thorough coverage and persistence is a must. It can burn flowers and should not be applied in the heat of the day.

Safer's also makes an insecticidal soap spray.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Just looked up a local hardware store for neem oil and it says not for edibles so should I use white oil/horticultural oil instead?
That guy is trying to make a sale and doesn't know what he's talking about. Do not use dormant oil on your eatable plants.

Can you use neem on edibles?

Control Pests and Diseases Safely With Neem - FineGardening

It is safe to use on both ornamental and edible crops and can be sprayed on herbs and vegetables up to the day of harvest. Applying neem oil to a drought-stressed plant can burn the foliage, so water plants thoroughly before using it. google

Can I eat vegetables sprayed with neem?

Neem oil is safe to use on ornamental and edible plants. It can be sprayed on all kind of fruits, vegetables and edible flowers. Just wash them thoroughly with water before consuming.

imiubu

Recently, I had an infestation of aphids on my outdoor Lilly's in containers.
It seemed like an overnight explosion. They were all around the rim of
the planter and making their way down the sides... yikes.

As an (frugal, simple ingredient) experiment; in a 32oz sprayer, I mixed
a solution of 10/ 1 water and 99% Iso. Killed them dead. I mean, immediately.

Not sure how Iso would effect ripe berries though.

I am trying different treatment approaches in both my outdoor flower gardens and
my indoor weed grow, in effort to no longer rely on commercial pest treatments.
Especially those that are systemic.

Thus far in my experimentation, I have discovered the power of Isopropyl and 3% peroxide.
I have also added a drop or 2 of Ivory liquid soap or organic neem oil in effort to discover
if they are even necessary to the process.
Thus far... my results have revealed...no, not especially necessary.

Critters do show up occasionally yet are quickly dispatched due to these simple and cheap
treatment ingredients.

Now, on that note, my canna garden is small in comparison to others.
I mother over summer; 12 - 15 smallish plants. Then 2 winter runs of
8 -12 plants each. Likely much more manageable than larger gardens?

Best of luck.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Recently, I had an infestation of aphids on my outdoor Lilly's in containers.
It seemed like an overnight explosion. They were all around the rim of
the planter and making their way down the sides... yikes.

As an (frugal, simple ingredient) experiment; in a 32oz sprayer, I mixed
a solution of 10/ 1 water and 99% Iso. Killed them dead. I mean, immediately.

Not sure how Iso would effect ripe berries though.

I am trying different treatment approaches in both my outdoor flower gardens and
my indoor weed grow, in effort to no longer rely on commercial pest treatments.
Especially those that are systemic.

Thus far in my experimentation, I have discovered the power of Isopropyl and 3% peroxide.
I have also added a drop or 2 of Ivory liquid soap or organic neem oil in effort to discover
if they are even necessary to the process.
Thus far... my results have revealed...no, not especially necessary.

Critters do show up occasionally yet are quickly dispatched due to these simple and cheap
treatment ingredients.

Now, on that note, my canna garden is small in comparison to others.
I mother over summer; 12 - 15 smallish plants. Then 2 winter runs of
8 -12 plants each. Likely much more manageable than larger gardens?

Best of luck.
Thanks for your reply.

I will try the dish soap and water method first, if that fails then the iso and water method.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Keep an eye on the plants because aphids are built to multiply.

No worries, I will keep spraying every couple of days for the next 2 weeks to kill any that emerge from eggs.

Latest posts

Latest posts