What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Apartment Inspection

dusto2k3

Ok guys, so it's that time of year again, and I am in need of ideas.

My maintenance wants to replace the A/C filter and the batteries in the fire alarms.

PROBLEM: 2600 watts, 2 trays and ebb and flow buckets are in the spare bedroom.

They do this twice a year. Last time, just 2 days before I received a notice, I asked the maintenance guys for batteries for the smoke alarms. Pure coincidence. When he came in the apartment I had reminded him that I had just got batteries and had already switched the battey and so he didn't really press the issue.

This time I didn't have that luck. I received the notice yesterday and they want to come in tomorrow. I have lived here for 3 years and have a good relationship with the maintenance people.

So give me your best ideas to tell the dude he wont be able to enter that room.

I thought about buying a battery and switching it, and when he comes in tell him the roomie didnt want anyone in there and show him the battery wrapper and receipt. Or just say roomie sleeping and I'll go in there and do it.

Moving stuff is not really an option.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Or just say roomie sleeping and I'll go in there and do it.

This should work... especially if they have easy access to everything else. Ask them if they have a 'used-battery' inventory sheet they need to check off or something... you'll bring him the dead battery after the roomie wakes up. :D

Rooting for ya!

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
My apartment tried this but you can actually get them to allow you to SIGN OFF on doing it yourself.

All you do is replace the alarm battery and ask them for an air filter. Give them your old dirty one IF they want proof as well as the old battery.

Mine griped (when I lived in an apt) but I said no one is coming into my place without me being there and my schedule is hit n miss SO I explained something as basic as unscewing the air filter guard and replacing a filter + a battery in a fire alarm is BASIC.

From then on, we just grab a new filter when we paid rent and they never bothered us again. Now one thing you can't get out of however is when they test the ac units for leaks as they have to go in your apt and through your attic access if you have it and if a unit is attached to yours and does NOT have attic access they can then use yours. I learned this the hard way when our neighbor was installing dish and they had ZERO attic access and asked if they can crawl through ours, in the end I told them to fuck off and they had to drill a hole in the apt wall to run the cable for the dish.

Just remember while you live there it is YOUR PLACE and they have to have GOOD REASON to ever come in even if they pretend like they can run the place.

I also switch out my locks at every apartment even if they tell me I can't. If it is an emergency then breaking a door will be the least of anyones worries at that time. Any emergency doesn't need a key to open a door lol.

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
Just remember while you live there it is YOUR PLACE and they have to have GOOD REASON to ever come in even if they pretend like they can run the place.

I also switch out my locks at every apartment even if they tell me I can't. If it is an emergency then breaking a door will be the least of anyones worries at that time. Any emergency doesn't need a key to open a door lol.

:laughing:

big-lebowski-gif.gif

Chances are you violated your lease by changing the locks. That can warrant an eviction.

If a Landlord suspects an emergency or damage to the property, then they do not have to give ANY notice upon entry.

Most Landlords use this as an excuse to make sure the apt is being taken care of.

I would refrain from giving rental advice. :tiphat:

If it were me, I would break everything down, and bag and box your plants.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
the thing is the laws are different every where, you need to look up your local laws regarding this stuff.

all in all changing the locks to begin with is always wise as they will often just use their spare if you are unlucky. so that way you at least have control of who goes in when. some times things can be postponed, so you can finish up, or at least have time to clean everything up. a rental truck outside can be a good temporary stash for your stuff.

if you can bluff your way around letting them in that room it would be the least work, but also the highest risk. only you know what kind of situation you have with the maintenance peeps and if they will let it slide.

the week spot of the sleeping roomie excuse is, if the guy is a stubborn one, he might start banging on the door saying let him get up i need to go in there. very unlikely and you can still tell him to get the hell out. just be sure the room is locked so even if he tries the handle he can't get in. if you say your roomy locked the door and is out of town for 2 weeks it's more full proof.

thats about all that i can think of.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:laughing:

View Image

Chances are you violated your lease by changing the locks. That can warrant an eviction.

If a Landlord suspects an emergency or damage to the property, then they do not have to give ANY notice upon entry.

Most Landlords use this as an excuse to make sure the apt is being taken care of.

I would refrain from giving rental advice. :tiphat:

If it were me, I would break everything down, and bag and box your plants.

yup this is your best option. it sucks. I have had to do it before multiple times, but you dont want to arouse suspension. better to clean it all out PERFECTLY and let them do their thing

growshopfrank

Veteran
not trying to be an ass but if it were me i would ether find a more grower friendly spot or i would scale my grow to a more desecrate size the landlord is sending a message that they they don't want any large grows

Growing a plant gets tricky...

Growing a plant gets tricky...

Brought down by a 9v battery and AC filter...good lord homies what's next?

dusto2k3

ya it's totally fucked, but I did it once and am gonna do it again.

I'm just gonna get the battery while he is doing the other three in the place and go in there and do it.

Changing the locks would be crazy, and I live in a property managed complex so they do it twice a year now. I lived here for 3 years and in the forst 2, they didnt do it once. Now I think they might have gotten in trouble with the fire marshall because a guy was out last week recharging all the extinguishers and I walked the complex and a new set of buildings are getting service on Friday. I guess they are changing the filters and batteries before it gets hot and everyone starts cranking up the A/C

dusto2k3

Brought down by a 9v battery and AC filter...good lord homies what's next?

LoL...SERIOUSLY!!!!

and thanks for the responses. Last time i distracted him by leaving all my soccer gear out and he plays soccer so we were chatting up a storm. I'm always reporting problems with the landscape and whatnot so the dude i hope sees me as a responsible person, so that should alleviate the worries he might have about letting me change the battery myself.

Ya high risk, high payoff!!!!

And the used batteries??? They use Reyovak cheepies, and I've scavenged the 9v from att the detectors for my hanna pen, so he'll be getting back duracells. Just showing that i maintain the shit myself.

They gave a 9-5 timeframe so im sitting here waiting to ambush this guy.

lol, he's a shorter dude ~5'5" and im 6'5" so i kinda like to get all up in his space and make him uncomfortable and want to get outta here quick

Ptone

I have this same problem! Only difference is my smoke detector is in the hallway. But this go around they said they need to install a carbon monoxide detector. Do you think they'd install it in the rooms or in the hall next to the smoke detector?!?

dusto2k3

I have this same problem! Only difference is my smoke detector is in the hallway. But this go around they said they need to install a carbon monoxide detector. Do you think they'd install it in the rooms or in the hall next to the smoke detector?!?

Hmm, in cali there is code, i looked that up to see what was going on, and I found out they are required to do changes YEARLY, but it's good that they want to do it twice...i just have something to hide!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Carbon
Monoxide (CO) Devices
As of July 1, 2011, the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (Senate
Bill – SB 183) will require all single-family homes with an attached garage
or a fossil fuel source to install carbon monoxide alarms within the home
by July 1, 2011. Owners of multi-family leased or rental dwellings, such
as apartment buildings, have until January 1, 2013 to comply with the
law.
The California State Fire Marshal has created this frequently asked
questions (FAQ) on carbon monoxide devices to provide the citizens of
California with information on this important matter.
1. What is Senate Bill No. 183 (SB-183)?
SB-183 is also known as the “Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act”
This senate bill requires that a carbon monoxide (CO) device be installed
in all dwelling units intended for human occupancy.
2. What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced from
heaters, fireplaces, furnaces, and many types of appliances and cooking
devices. It can also be produced by vehicles that are idling.
3. What is the effective date for installing a CO device?
For a single-family dwelling, the effective date is July 1, 2011. For all
other dwelling units, the effective date is January 1, 2013.
4. Where can I find a list of all CSFM listed carbon monoxide devices?
Click on the link titled “List of Approved Devices”.
http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/strucfireengineer/strucfireengineer_bml.php
5. What is the definition of a dwelling unit?
A dwelling unit is defined as a single-family dwelling, duplex, lodging
house, dormitory, hotel, motel, condominium, time-share project, or
dwelling unit in a multiple-unit dwelling unit building.
6. Does a duplex qualify as a single family dwelling?
By definition, a duplex is not considered a single family dwelling.
FAQ CO Devices August 3, 2011 17. Where should CO devices be installed in homes?
They should be installed outside each sleeping areas of the home
including the basement. The manufacturer’s installation instruction
should also be followed.

for more...http://osfm.fire.ca.gov/strucfireengineer/pdf/bml/Frequently asked questions on Carbon Monoxide.pdf

I guess I'm be having the same problem regarding the CO detector! YES!!!!
Looks like it goes in the hallway though.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
I used to run several apartments at once, I always lock the door and tell them its my room-mate's and if they need access I'll have to get in touch with him and that he works outta town.

Gives yourself a couple days to chop and dismantle the grow if its REALLY needed.

dusto2k3

So they came by and all he wanted to do was change the air filter and install the CO meter...he called it CO2, i was like...UH OH!!!

I'm sure they were just getting up to code on that link I posted earlier. YAY!

DankSide

Dude, don't grow in an apartment

This^^^^^

Or if you do, keep it low wattage - damn man if I had something in an apartment I would be a hermit. I would be there 24/7 in case of fire or unwanted entry. Just not worth the stress.

benzo

This^^^^^

Or if you do, keep it low wattage - damn man if I had something in an apartment I would be a hermit. I would be there 24/7 in case of fire or unwanted entry. Just not worth the stress.

Why ? Any sort of grow you have a chance of fire, house or apartment.
I get that the inspections are super wack. But can you elaborate a little ? Pros and cons

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
glad it all went well. weird about the co2 meter lol. in theory your plants are using up the co2 you are producing. he must have misspoken calling it co2 instead of co.

Latest posts

Latest posts