What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ANYTHING OUTDOOR 2022 EVERYWHERE

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
Man I hope this haze cross gets to finish looks like a yield monster an smells of old school strawberry haze. Between 8-9ft tall
IMG_20220928_111409476_HDR.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks! Frost is showing up about 2 weeks early here this year! Its all good, the rains usually come in now, so its all the same. I'd rather deal with cold than rain when it comes to ripening and harvest. Mold is always an issue. Need to try to keep the plants as healthy as possible through the season to prevent mold.

Actually the plants stay there at the plot now. Plants are dried under camo tarps, jarred, and buried in 5 gallon buckets there in the woods. When we used to transport, it was done as whole plants. One cut at the base of the plant, lay half of the the plants on one of the camo hunting blind tarps, and duct tape the cut ends together into a bundle. The tarp has ties on it, so the tarps wrapped around the foliage and tied tight. One hand holds the tarps with the foliage, and the other holds the base of the stems taped together to get them through the woods with the bottom of the plants leading. :smoke:

Getting ready to go do the final watering. I love this time of year! Beautiful clear sunny day, and it will be warm the next few days up to next weekend, so the plants will finish out pretty well. The cold helps the resin finish ripening better I think. God bless! :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I need some guidance from a grower in northern climates. A frost freeze is expected friday and saturday night. How does this affect the harvest? Should I harvest before hand and have them there hanging to dry under tarps when the cold nights show up, or does it matter at all, and I can harvest afterward/ in between cold nights?

I think it would be fine, the buds shouldn't freeze and get slimy with a short period of near freezing or sub-freezing temps. Please let me know you experience! Thanks! :smoke:

full

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Frost isn't a major concern, I have harvested plants after the 1st light snowfall with no problems.

I always find that after the 1st frost plant growth slows, but resin production continues and may increase as the plant tries to protect itself from the cool tempuratures.

I have seen plants come through a moderate freeze before (-2 to -3c) and continue to grow fine so a frost should not be a big deal. That being said if you notice some tissue damage to the small bud leaves after a frost or freeze either harvest or keep a very close eye on the plant as cellular damage can be an invitation to mold. Best wishes on a good harvest

Great outdoors

I need some guidance from a grower in northern climates. A frost freeze is expected friday and saturday night. How does this affect the harvest? Should I harvest before hand and have them there hanging to dry under tarps when the cold nights show up, or does it matter at all, and I can harvest afterward/ in between cold nights?

I think it would be fine, the buds shouldn't freeze and get slimy with a short period of near freezing or sub-freezing temps. Please let me know you experience! Thanks! :smoke:

full
Many strains can take a light frost. Below about -3C they are pretty much hooped though.
Also remember cold air sinks though so if you are on a hillside you are probably good, but down in valleys or low lying flat ground not so much.

Lunchmoney

Thanks! Frost is showing up about 2 weeks early here this year! Its all good, the rains usually come in now, so its all the same. I'd rather deal with cold than rain when it comes to ripening and harvest. Mold is always an issue. Need to try to keep the plants as healthy as possible through the season to prevent mold.

Actually the plants stay there at the plot now. Plants are dried under camo tarps, jarred, and buried in 5 gallon buckets there in the woods. When we used to transport, it was done as whole plants. One cut at the base of the plant, lay half of the the plants on one of the camo hunting blind tarps, and duct tape the cut ends together into a bundle. The tarp has ties on it, so the tarps wrapped around the foliage and tied tight. One hand holds the tarps with the foliage, and the other holds the base of the stems taped together to get them through the woods with the bottom of the plants leading. :smoke:

Getting ready to go do the final watering. I love this time of year! Beautiful clear sunny day, and it will be warm the next few days up to next weekend, so the plants will finish out pretty well. The cold helps the resin finish ripening better I think. God bless! :smoke:
Right on! Thanks for that! Gotta make a decision each week wether to harvest or not. Only at grow site weekly work takes me away. Weather can get unpredictable here. Gonna be ready next weekend with high hopes.

cfl...KING

Veteran

full
I'd cut up the branches an hang it up indoors on hangers

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the suggestion Cfl King. Close neighbors and people walking down the sidewalk make that unworkable here. I used to dry in a barn, but those days are past. I like working out in the woods, less potential security issues, just have fun and get the work done. :smoke:

Thanks Great outdoors! That makes sense, -3 C is a little below 27 F and that's a pretty cold night. Yeah there's actually a 50-100 ft cliff about 50 ft away from the garden. Forecast doesn't look that cold, will only be around freezing at the coldest, and may not reach that point. I would like to see them ripen longer, temps look to be around normal next week after the freeze and the mold is very minimal. The beans still haven't been picked, so it is nice when the field is done and the coast is clear too. :smoke:

Its good to harvest and dry them before the rains come in, so its nice to have a flexible work schedule. I just do weekly visits too, but usually a couple times on the weekend. Got the watering done with 20 trips of 5-6 gal-100-120 gal. The plants were leaning over, so I stuck them together to keep them standing up. It was just a few, not too bad, but I want to have them separated and standing up right tomorrow once the water soaks in.
:smoke:

Got some pics to share. :smoke:

Last edited:

Lunchmoney

Beast mode, gonna need a few buckets for all that sugar
Do doubt. Quite literally. Gonna do a test wash in mason jar for hash content. Depending the collection I plan on washing some fresh frozen material, also some dry material I have from Scooby gal that died early. Some very tasty fruity and smooth smoke from her harvested 2 weeks ago. Can’t wait to try the properly finished harvest from the rest of the gang. Just now looking into bubble hash making and concentrates. Prob use 5 gal kit/bags buckets. Getting dry material trimmed and cured now. Drying space ready for proper harvest. I’ve tried a few fellas hash rosin samples up north I’m impressed with product.

Reactions: xet

cfl...KING

Veteran
Thanks for the suggestion Cfl King. Close neighbors and people walking down the sidewalk make that unworkable here. I used to dry in a barn, but those days are past. I like working out in the woods, less potential security issues, just have fun and get the work done. :smoke:

Thanks Great outdoors! That makes sense, -3 C is a little below 27 F and that's a pretty cold night. Yeah there's actually a 50-100 ft cliff about 50 ft away from the garden. Forecast doesn't look that cold, will only be around freezing at the coldest, and may not reach that point. I would like to see them ripen longer, temps look to be around normal next week after the freeze and the mold is very minimal. The beans still haven't been picked, so it is nice when the field is done and the coast is clear too. :smoke:

Its good to harvest and dry them before the rains come in, so its nice to have a flexible work schedule. I just do weekly visits too, but usually a couple times on the weekend. Got the watering done with 20 trips of 5-6 gal-100-120 gal. The plants were leaning over, so I stuck them together to keep them standing up. It was just a few, not too bad, but I want to have them separated and standing up right tomorrow once the water soaks in.
:smoke:

Got some pics to share. :smoke:
Hang them in a spare room or attic/basement with the windows blocked