What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ANYTHING OUTDOOR 2022 EVERYWHERE

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How long does chicken manure have to age/compost before its not too hot to use?

Nice hash there! I can see its good quality resin! I bet that heals whatever you have. :smoke:

Hashislife

Nice hash there! I can see its good quality resin! I bet that heals whatever you have. :smoke:
hey, actually making hash of this quality with my grinder surprised me, and bodes well for making bubble hash.
yes my nerve pain is extremely reduced, and I sleep perfectly.
unfortunately treating me without genetic scissors seems impossible, but in a few years they will get there.

Lunchmoney

I don’t know the answer to this question but in my experience I let the dirt compost until it smells earthy and no longer poopy. That is my green light when the dirt Smells earthy like dirt. I myself wouldn’t use litter dry it’s nasty stuff

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah smell is the best indicator I remember. Chicken manure will still have a little smell composted, but it looses the sharp strong smells after it composts. I guess it depends on a few things how long. It would speed up the process to stir it up every few weeks to keep it aerated.

I was looking at an old leaf pile I made last year and it had some nice humus forming at the bottom of what was left. May want to screen it or be careful to gather only the composted stuff. Too much leaf litter mixed in could cause some nitrogen loss/immobilization due to microbes having to break it down. Chicken manure is the good stuff though, it has Nitrogen on tap, but you have to know how to use it.

Lunchmoney

Yeah smell is the best indicator I remember. Chicken manure will still have a little smell composted, but it looses the sharp strong smells after it composts. I guess it depends on a few things how long. It would speed up the process to stir it up every few weeks to keep it aerated.

I was looking at an old leaf pile I made last year and it had some nice humus forming at the bottom of what was left. May want to screen it or be careful to gather only the composted stuff. Too much leaf litter mixed in could cause some nitrogen loss/immobilization due to microbes having to break it down. Chicken manure is the good stuff though, it has Nitrogen on tap, but you have to know how to use it.
I use what’s called deep litter method inside the coop and henhouse. A lot of decomposition going on in here. It’s maintained at one third green material and two thirds brown material. They roost above this and do most pooping here. It’s mostly leaves and shredded wood undied mulch. It gets emptied once per year into the run/pen to further decompose under the elements. I’m terrible/lazy at tech otherwise I’d attach link

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That seems like a great method. It may be best to pile it up outdoors for a period of time before using it, turning it/ digging into it to aerate every once in a while.

St. Phatty

It depends on how much you use, the particle size, etc.

Some of my chicken manure is in powder form, and it is very hot.

Nothing wrong with that, but a little bit goes a long way.

Also it's not a bad idea to send your finished soil to a soil test service, e.g. the $25 test.

For example, I just found that a soil sample I had prepared had roughly 100 times too much calcium. So I will use less of it.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the directions from the chicken manure compost I've been using. They changed it! They recommend 25 lb per 1000 sq ft/ instead of 650 square feet. How much is "about a handful"? I would guess a quarter cup. Before they changed it, top dressing rate was same as the till-in rate. at 25 lb/650 sq ft.

Vegetables and annuals​

Best if tilled in spring or fall at 25 lbs per 1,000 sq ft. Topdress every 3 weeks with about a handful per sq yd, keeping a few inches away from plant base.

Old Piney

Here's how I make my chicken manure tea.I use straight dryed manure from the coop at least a year old .I drop about a cup into a gallon of water and let it stew for a week or so then I use that to mix again with water, I go by color to a real weak tea color .One or two watering of this during the growing season is plenty of nitrogen for cannabis

St. Phatty

If you want to avoid mistakes that involve killing seedlings, measure the pH of the run-off.

There are a lot of variables. For example, Wood Ash makes a great fertilizer - but it also raises the pH. It has Calcium & Magnesium, like Lime.

So if you're using Wood Ash and Lime, it may be too alkaline, or not.

But you won't know unless you measure the pH of the run-off.

Energy Turtle

Mexalawi top picture. The rest are purple Thai
IMG_20221124_123617503.jpg
IMG_20221123_121515487.jpg
IMG_20221123_121532944.jpg
IMG_20221123_121445786.jpg

Energy Turtle

Purple Thai #5 harvested October 5th
The flavor and aroma is earth, chocolate and a touch of juniper. Very addictive flavor.

The effect is a exhilarating rush to the head.
Makes you space out on things, thought provoking, social and energy.
Best for wake and bake.

Lower pic..

Purple Thai #4
This plant was the first to finish on Halloween.
The smell is sweet sour fruit smell. The effect is very balanced high.
Though great for bedtime the head high from this one very strong.
IMG_20221129_171526251.jpg

IMG_20221129_171742101.jpg

40degsouth

Note that the wood ash has almost been washed into the bed, with no ill effects to the plant and I’ve stripped the bottom two sets of laterals off as a preventative measure just so the plant doesn’t eject them when stretch starts 😉😉

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool, lots of purple on that one already! I think Shrews said Sprite was his favorite. Wonder how he's doing? Wonder what he's working on these days.

The Purple Thai isn't all that purple, or is it just not showing up in the pic? Looks really good though! I bet it makes up for the somewhat loose bud structure with the resin profile and terpenes. Thats great to find something similar to what you used to get from your dad. Cannabis has so many flavors!

Finding lots of good flavors in the flowers from our garden this year. Need to do what I can to preserve the line.

full

full

full