What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anything Outdoor 2018

St. Phatty

Thanks, we had ridiculous nice weather this year and even my way too late flowering plants got pretty much to full term under really nice conditions.
Here come the rain
View Image
Hopefully I'll get home in time to get a few pictures and cut the last two down before it starts

How do you think that will affect total state production, compared to 2017 and 2016 ?

One of those years, OR produced estimated 2 million pounds and consumed 100,000 pounds. Not sure how much that accounts for bud that went into concentrate manufacturing.

One neighbor says his plants are smaller this year and attributes it to the wildfire smoke. The smoke acts like a shade-cloth that allows 85% to 95% of the light through. I guess the effect of that depends a lot on strain selection.

PDX Dopesmoker

How do you think that will affect total state production, compared to 2017 and 2016 ?

One of those years, OR produced estimated 2 million pounds and consumed 100,000 pounds. Not sure how much that accounts for bud that went into concentrate manufacturing.

One neighbor says his plants are smaller this year and attributes it to the wildfire smoke. The smoke acts like a shade-cloth that allows 85% to 95% of the light through. I guess the effect of that depends a lot on strain selection.

One can only guess that the commercial outdoor season was pretty strong this year if they were near Portland, we had excellent conditions this year.

CrushnYuba

One can only guess that the commercial outdoor season was pretty strong this year if they were near Portland, we had excellent conditions this year.
Here in California, we had the most perfect conditions i can remember for a while. Commercial outdoor was great. The mid summer heat waves were pretty mild. And the weather report shows no rain for the next 10 days!! I can't remember the last time it didn't rain by Halloween. Very strange everyone is reporting earlier harvest Times this year. I am pretty sure it's because of the mild temperatures. We have had less fires then recent years most likely due to the mild temperatures so less farms Will have burned or be smoke damaged.

California light depp was just gorgeous this year due to the mild temperatures. Basically all samples i saw were better then indoor.

therevverend

Veteran
It's been a weird season in Washington. Amazing weather until Oct 3 which meant my early stuff was great. Then rain and mold for 10 days which ruined quite a bit of mid run stuff. Then a week of sunny warm weather just in time to dry stuff out for the late harvest. Then it degraded into nasty drippy mildew fog for the last few days. Washington is all about getting lucky with the timing because it always rains at some point. Crazy how the stuff done 2nd week of October was trashed but 3rd week was awesome.

picture.php

Mengsk

The hoop house made a big difference. I'm not sure I will have data on this but there is a temperature/heat difference as well as no wind or rain with low humidity here. Now with a piece of window screen over the fan, with the opposite end kept partially closed bugs have a hard time flying in. I may still pull the ceiling down with ground anchors and PVC center posts. But the way the four 5 way connectors cracked from wind (only a single self-tapping screw holding them) might be a good design. Pointed or slanted roof will shed light blocking condensation faster instead of collecting and raining on the plants with a flat ceiling. Also if you have a corner or certain time of day with strongest sun, you can face the roof toward that I think.

Didn't water the plants for a few days, then gave each box ten gallons of tap water pH to 5.5 (here 9 mL of GH pH down, tap water to five gallon brim just under the wire handle). After that AN organic seven part, five gallons, diluted to ten gallons and pH to 6.0 (16 mL of pH up per five gallons in this case IIRC). Many things are not ideal getting a lot of it set up in the middle of the season. As in mixing 40 gallons of water pouring buckets highlights the need for a larger mixing tank and maybe a mixing manifold of some sort before the drip tape. I might try a gallon jug with a hole poked in it as a dripper to set near the stalk. The tap water here has a pH of about 8.5 and so I think it's worthwhile to lower it. If anyone has a tap water only method to deal with that, in the soil mixing stage or some other way, I'm all ears. With supplemental lighting I want to see if the plants can go to December or January.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
That's a great looking plant therevverend! I'm loving the purple in there. Is that some sort of hashplant of Afghani? Love those thick, stoney buds!

therevverend

Veteran
It's Grape Ape x Bubblegum. Late finishing, tall upright phenotype that's very Grape Ape dominant. Amazing grape berry smell.

The GA x BG is one of the best matches for a hybrid I've seen. Brings out the best the two Indica lines have to offer without any of the problems people usually have with Indica.

Around 20% THC, good pain relief, relaxing mellow high without anxiety or couchlock. Good mold and mildew resistance. Chunky dense Indica nugs. Hardly any mini scruffle the entire plant produces decent sized buds no wasted growth or stretch.

The Bubblegum wide leaf death cabbage type phenotype showed variagation caused by nutrient deficiency. It was easily fixed by N plus magnesium. She likes to eat.

PDX Dopesmoker

When I was cutting off unwanted lower branches in August I shoved some of them into the dirt so see if any would root out. Some of them seemed to come to life, but they were mostly in the shade and tiny. This one seems like its starting the take off since I cut the mother down.
x38r5hD.jpg

7Un6mdv.jpg

Maybe I'll get a 2nd harvest if it stays warm.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats awesome pdx! Cannabis must root pretty readily. Did you cut it at an angle? Thanks for sharing!

PDX Dopesmoker

Thats awesome pdx! Cannabis must root pretty readily. Did you cut it at an angle? Thanks for sharing!

The cuttings from that one's mother root really easy, I guess that feature was in the daughter too. I just cut it with garden shears and stuck it in the dirt.

St. Phatty

I hear a lot of data-points that say overall production for Ca + OR + Wa has plateau'd - most of these are smaller growers that are 'over it'.

And I hear about a lot of commercial operations that seem to have the approach of "we'll just grow a boat-load, that quantity will protect us against falling prices".

Not sure which force is bigger.

Would love to see the price assumptions that go into the economic analyses used to justify the big grows.

I also hear knee-jerk-ish responses like, "well, we'll just make concentrate".

Who will smoke all that concentrate ? I generally avoid it, would never buy it, and occasionally get gifted some & try it on New Year's eve etc.

In college, one of the engineering-art students made a metal sculpture that smoked a cigarette.

Well, I'd bet we'll see a re-spin of that at some art gallery, a machine that smokes pot. Might be a cool piece of art and if the secondhand smoke is decent I might even visit that gallery.

CrushnYuba

The hoop house made a big difference. I'm not sure I will have data on this but there is a temperature/heat difference as well as no wind or rain with low humidity here. Now with a piece of window screen over the fan, with the opposite end kept partially closed bugs have a hard time flying in. I may still pull the ceiling down with ground anchors and PVC center posts. But the way the four 5 way connectors cracked from wind (only a single self-tapping screw holding them) might be a good design. Pointed or slanted roof will shed light blocking condensation faster instead of collecting and raining on the plants with a flat ceiling. Also if you have a corner or certain time of day with strongest sun, you can face the roof toward that I think.

Didn't water the plants for a few days, then gave each box ten gallons of tap water pH to 5.5 (here 9 mL of GH pH down, tap water to five gallon brim just under the wire handle). After that AN organic seven part, five gallons, diluted to ten gallons and pH to 6.0 (16 mL of pH up per five gallons in this case IIRC). Many things are not ideal getting a lot of it set up in the middle of the season. As in mixing 40 gallons of water pouring buckets highlights the need for a larger mixing tank and maybe a mixing manifold of some sort before the drip tape. I might try a gallon jug with a hole poked in it as a dripper to set near the stalk. The tap water here has a pH of about 8.5 and so I think it's worthwhile to lower it. If anyone has a tap water only method to deal with that, in the soil mixing stage or some other way, I'm all ears. With supplemental lighting I want to see if the plants can go to December or January.

Soil only would be difficult. It's hard to make Soil more acidic. It would be easier to ph adjust your water. You are lucky that your water usage is pretty low. You can get a used 250 gallon ibc tote for 100$. You May need a small pump to get the pressure you need for drip.

I have a mixrite inline piston style chemical/fertilizer injector. If i had water that was consistently high ph, i would inject a little ph down into it. I just usually use mine for fertilizers. Check them out. Mine is an adjustable mixrite. Can do between .005% and 4%. Dosatron makes a nice unit also. They are always exact in how much solution they inject into the water line.

PDX Dopesmoker

I hear a lot of data-points that say overall production for Ca + OR + Wa has plateau'd - most of these are smaller growers that are 'over it'.

And I hear about a lot of commercial operations that seem to have the approach of "we'll just grow a boat-load, that quantity will protect us against falling prices".

Not sure which force is bigger.

Would love to see the price assumptions that go into the economic analyses used to justify the big grows.

I also hear knee-jerk-ish responses like, "well, we'll just make concentrate".

Who will smoke all that concentrate ? I generally avoid it, would never buy it, and occasionally get gifted some & try it on New Year's eve etc.

In college, one of the engineering-art students made a metal sculpture that smoked a cigarette.

Well, I'd bet we'll see a re-spin of that at some art gallery, a machine that smokes pot. Might be a cool piece of art and if the secondhand smoke is decent I might even visit that gallery.

I'd like to have an internal combustion engine that runs on hash oil

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I'd like to have an internal combustion engine that runs on hash oil

Some people are like engines that run on hash oil.(garden help/trimmers :laughing:)

Being serious though, Im really into alternative fuel and engine research. There is a great documentary called Pump about the history of the fuel, energy, auto and engine industry i recommend highly if this type of thing interests you.

190 proof alcohol/ethanol as a primary fuel source along with electrolysis to supplement hydrogen from water together seems to be the most effective.

I dont see hydrogen as a potential alternative primary fuel source except for in small engines like a motorcycle without becoming much more complicated and expensive. Reason being the hydrogen generators operate at a fixed rate off the 12v current from the battery and simply cant generate hydrogen fast enough to sustain larger/multiple cylinder engines without a good amount of ingenuity and time.

There are currently hydrogen only powered large engine vehicles, (arnold schwarzenegger has a hummer that runs on hydrogen only) the difference being him having a tank of hydrogen fuel he refills instead of generating it on the fly from water.

PDX Dopesmoker

I changed my mind, I want a steam engine powered by hash bricks.
Combusting atomized hash oil internally probably wouldn't even work, but if it did the exhaust would be mostly combusted and probably kind of nasty.

Dankwolf

I changed my mind, I want a steam engine powered by hash bricks.
Combusting atomized hash oil internally probably wouldn't even work, but if it did the exhaust would be mostly combusted and probably kind of nasty.

:woohoo: I am in lets do it :laughing:

Now where should we look for the fuel . definitly not the rec growers there legal and following the rules . thank fully there not playing both sides :few: any idea'$

What are we calling this innovative engine? (Maybe the resin-nator )

CrushnYuba

I know y'all are joking but they exist. They are just diesel engines. My buddy makes bio diesel that i am going to start running in my generator for my off grid farm. He said it is super easy to make ganja oil into bio deez. It would be a decent fuel source when industrial hemp goes legal.

axle2u

Good thread idea

Im thinking about buying a 2000 pack of red wiggler worms to aerate the soil to get more air to my roots from the tunneling they do. ???

Plus the benifits of worm castings.i know that amount of worms wont create much casting but hey some is better then none right. Have 8 plants outdoor .each plant would 200 plus worms each and they double that in 3 months....

did this actually work...?

and if so, how about regular fishing worms...?
I grow indoors (first time at it)....and im wondering if a couple of wormies in my pots would do my ladies any good or not..?

axle robot

PDX Dopesmoker

I still haven't killed off my male plants yet, but they're not doing too much productive anymore other than being tested for late-season rot proneness
BiLEGKo.jpg

Looks like I didn't get a seed from the female bits on this one
2IDpGRb.jpg

Hopefully this pretty color comes through in the female children.
SEEdxkU.jpg