What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ANYONE USING KINGBRITE XP BAR or CS 650w BAR OR STRIP LIGHT? PICS or PROOF of SUCCESS?

toohighmf

Veteran
After driving myself batty on Youtube for any credible evidence that Kingbrite strip and bar lights can actually produce similar yields and quality to that of Gavita, Fluence, etc, I'm forced to inquire here. I may be doing a comparison grow of a well known light vs a Kingbrite If I could just see pics/vid of success with them. Can Anyone Help me out? Thanks!

TPFTFW

Veteran
R2THK_lighting on IG slaps and they have a 5 year warranty
Same price range way better warranty
Sunbar V2’s can’t beat it
tell em sun tzu sent ya
Diff sour diesels
They’ll go 77 or so
And sour is a notoriously hard plant to grow
57 days
7DF3C254-80D6-4C45-99F1-F03DE47EC5CD.jpeg

49 days
132D096F-888B-4A0D-8642-76FC53AD53DA.jpeg

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Having not run the expensive stuff, I can't say KB is as good. It certainly works though.

There is quite a bit of speculation regarding spectrum. Most suppliers are not guiding you in any direction. They just offer a range of choices. Others offer lights proven over various crops, so we get the fine tuning a different plant responded to. An example is the 730nm red that supports 660nm red. There is nothing to say cannabis responds favourably to this IR or UV when trialed by leading lighting experts. Some are just impressed with cannabis's reaction to more and more light, while showing little interest in what spectrum. Just as long as it's not damaging.

I suggest you put your money into efficiency, and a spread of light in the visible spectrum. Some of the latest LEDs are becoming more species specific, so watch out for the leafy greens LEDs unless you grow them.

You can use 350-400w a meter and hit the seed packet numbers with KB. That will do for me.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i have checked the KB lites...BUT.... be aware of the shipping delays... i think, tho not sure that they ship via boat to the west coast, n then disperse em via fedex/ups/etc... u have heard the slow boast to china, now its the slow boat from china

toohighmf

Veteran
Having not run the expensive stuff, I can't say KB is as good. It certainly works though.

There is quite a bit of speculation regarding spectrum. Most suppliers are not guiding you in any direction. They just offer a range of choices. Others offer lights proven over various crops, so we get the fine tuning a different plant responded to. An example is the 730nm red that supports 660nm red. There is nothing to say cannabis responds favourably to this IR or UV when trialed by leading lighting experts. Some are just impressed with cannabis's reaction to more and more light, while showing little interest in what spectrum. Just as long as it's not damaging.

I suggest you put your money into efficiency, and a spread of light in the visible spectrum. Some of the latest LEDs are becoming more species specific, so watch out for the leafy greens LEDs unless you grow them.

You can use 350-400w a meter and hit the seed packet numbers with KB. That will do for me.
Im looking for something comparable as far as diodes, number of diodes per watt, similar efficiency, watt for watt, coverage etc. one thing Is very clear to me. LM301H 3000-4000k with Cree or Osram 660/730 reds have been growing great cannabis

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
KB have sent my orders for lights by DHL and it's taken a few days. When I wanted just a board, I found the same adverts with a range of postal prices from 10 to 35 dollar. I wrote asking why the different colour boards had different postage costs, so spread out. They replied asking what I wanted and gave a cheap quote in return. That took about 2 weeks. Mostly getting to europe, then it was a couple of short flights. I know china wanted a rail version of the silk road going through southern russia. A europe express to Germany iirc. Plans to then reach out to the UK. So I guess it was a train to europe, then distribution by plane

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I was looking for another member a few months back. I think the best value was found with 480w lights. It seems 240w is truly the cheapest per watt, but a lot of lights to hang. It's a common mass produced ballast though. The 600w ballast has a premium that shows in the unit price. 480w seemed reasonable.

lol@ballast. Driver.

I think there was a 720w or something, but it was silly money, just based on rarity really. Have a good look at the comparable lights and check that price per watt. It's why I stick to 240w with QB's. Though intimately you need to divide your space to suit the lighting footprints available.

KB is about half the price of some others. There would have to be quite a gap in tech to make them a poor choice. Figures suggest there isn't enough top bin LEDs to even supply the big brands, so somebody is bullshitting somewhere. 10% separates the furthest bins though, so that's about as bad as it can get. If you really want the top one's I wouldn't know where to suggest. Certainly not a brand that exists mainly in cannabis lighting magazines.

TPFTFW

Veteran
r2thk made an 840w sunbar V2 for me
It has ten bars on the same 4’ frame
The 640 was about 600$ After shipping delivered in 3 days
The 840 was about 800 but well worth it
they now regularly make the 840w

toohighmf

Veteran
I was looking for another member a few months back. I think the best value was found with 480w lights. It seems 240w is truly the cheapest per watt, but a lot of lights to hang. It's a common mass produced ballast though. The 600w ballast has a premium that shows in the unit price. 480w seemed reasonable.

lol@ballast. Driver.

I think there was a 720w or something, but it was silly money, just based on rarity really. Have a good look at the comparable lights and check that price per watt. It's why I stick to 240w with QB's. Though intimately you need to divide your space to suit the lighting footprints available.

KB is about half the price of some others. There would have to be quite a gap in tech to make them a poor choice. Figures suggest there isn't enough top bin LEDs to even supply the big brands, so somebody is bullshitting somewhere. 10% separates the furthest bins though, so that's about as bad as it can get. If you really want the top one's I wouldn't know where to suggest. Certainly not a brand that exists mainly in cannabis lighting magazines.
Thanks, f-e. It’s exactly my logic based on my research. I just haven’t seen the proof in the pudding with the bigger lights more comparable to the expensive lights in the weed mags. 480w are definitely the sweet spot. Just want to make sure I’m comparing apples to apples within 20-30 watts when I put a cheap Alibaba light up against one twice it’s price.

toohighmf

Veteran
r2thk made an 840w sunbar V2 for me
It has ten bars on the same 4’ frame
The 640 was about 600$ After shipping delivered in 3 days
The 840 was about 800 but well worth it
they now regularly make the 840w
The light I want to compare against the cheap light is 630w so I want to find something between 630-660w but I love the idea of a 10 bar. Does it cover a 5x5 pretty well? What are reads at the corners on that 840 at a recommended height?

TPFTFW

Veteran
The light I want to compare against the cheap light is 630w so I want to find something between 630-660w but I love the idea of a 10 bar. Does it cover a 5x5 pretty well? What are reads at the corners on that 840 at a recommended height?
Send him a message on IG they took plenty of readings for me at diff heights cuz I don’t have a ppfd meter yet.
They’re great dudes with great customer service.
I’d have to do a deep dive on my emails.
what I can tell you is both the 640 and 840 have fantastic spreads. I just had them make the 840 cuz why not lol.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
If you are going to light a 5x5 then a 600 wouldn't really cut it. You would scrape through, but with the 840 you have a nice 420 per meter

edit: be sure the KB is a 301 LED. They also have cheaper boards. IIRC 281 but not the latest. These make about 20% less light.

TPFTFW

Veteran
If you are going to light a 5x5 then a 600 wouldn't really cut it. You would scrape through, but with the 840 you have a nice 420 per meter
The 640 works great in a 5x5
only reason I got the 840 is because like said, why not

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
But 420 lol

300 works. It's not setting your sights on any records though. Where light is good and plants are naughty, you get more light not more plants.

TPFTFW

Veteran
You buy a cheap light and you will be regretting it when it needs warrantee service/support.
R2THK has a 5 year warranty
I fucked up a bar of the light totally my fault and they replaced it
If I’m not mistaken that’s a better warranty then the majority if not all of the name brand lights who usually top out at 3 years so..
yet another reason I love R2

I don’t buy anything cheap to be frank, the fact these lights are half the price of “name brand” lights is only a plus..
I’d still buy these if there were 1200$

Last edited:
Reactions: Gry

Latest posts

Latest posts