What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone tried frying corn?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i read a mag that frequently shows up with recipes i would never have come up with. latest is fried peaches and cream sweet corn. basically, it is cut off the cob (with scrapings). then fry up bacon or fatback. toss corn into renderings along with some heavy cream or sweet milk, fry for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. serve with diced fatback or crumbled bacon as a dressing on top. gonna have that PDQ...maybe with fried taters & onions with a pan of cornbread...and butter. lots of butter. yes, i remember that i'm a diabetic...is it obvious yet as to why? lol...

Gry

i read a mag that frequently shows up with recipes i would never have come up with. latest is fried peaches and cream sweet corn. basically, it is cut off the cob (with scrapings). then fry up bacon or fatback. toss corn into renderings along with some heavy cream or sweet milk, fry for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. serve with diced fatback or crumbled bacon as a dressing on top. gonna have that PDQ...maybe with fried taters & onions with a pan of cornbread...and butter. lots of butter. yes, i remember that i'm a diabetic...is it obvious yet as to why? lol...

Keep hearing people speak of this stuff:
"Basically, grilled corn is slathered in mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice and spices, then finished off with some queso fresco and chopped cilantro.

Yes, I said mayonnaise. If you think that sounds odd, you’re just going to have to trust me on this one. I’m telling you, this stuff is amazing!"

https://letsdishrecipes.com/mexican-...rchys-copycat/

Looking at it with peaches added, and there are lots of entries,
must be pretty impressive .

Gry

Grilled Corn and Peach Salsa

By
Southern Cast Iron
  1. Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush pan, corn, and cut sides of peach halves with oil. Grill corn until browned and kernels are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes per side. Grill peach halves, cut sides down, until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool. Chop peach halves; cut corn kernels off cobs.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together corn kernels, peaches, jalapeño, onion, lime zest and juice, and salt to taste. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro just before serving. Serve with plantain chips. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
No worse than this: 1 tub of your favorite deli potato salad fried in a skillet of hot olive oil until alla the mayo has been caramelized!!!! :biggrin:

NASTY!!!

jeez! you eat potato salad? that IS nasty...although frying it might be better. "potatoes" and "fried" look good together...

troutman

Seed Whore
ever leave the shuck on, dip the ears in cold salt water, then grill them over charcoal? that's good too...

I have experienced that a long time ago at a fireman BBQ. They soaked the corn for hours and then roasted them
like you mentioned. Just that steaming is easier and faster. Just clean the corn cobs and set in a steamer and chill
while it's done. Some steamers have a timer which makes things even easier.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
ate at a rather rural diner the other night. food like your grandmother might have fixed, except....battered & deep-fried corn on the cob. killer! gonna be going back, too...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
used to be a barbecue place near here. their most popular side was smoked corn on the cob, done in same smoker as their pigmeat. was lovely stuff...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I have experienced that a long time ago at a fireman BBQ. They soaked the corn for hours and then roasted them
like you mentioned. Just that steaming is easier and faster. Just clean the corn cobs and set in a steamer and chill
while it's done. Some steamers have a timer which makes things even easier.
Bring your brine to a boil, place corn in pot. When it starts to boil again, shut off burner, place cover on pot and wait 12 minutes (longer doesn't matter, it just keeps it warm, without actually cooking it). Who needs a timer. :) :tiphat:

Green Squall

I often saute or pan fry fresh corn off the cob on a hot skillet with olive oil. The water content in the kernel might burst a little and spurt out hot liquid on your hand while stirring, but its worth it. I love corn, but eating it on the cob ain't my style unless I got a roll of floss on me.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I often saute or pan fry fresh corn off the cob on a hot skillet with olive oil. The water content in the kernel might burst a little and spurt out hot liquid on your hand while stirring, but its worth it. I love corn, but eating it on the cob ain't my style unless I got a roll of floss on me.
i despise getting it hung in my teeth, but i just keep on eating it...:good:

Latest posts

Latest posts