What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone remember overgrow

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I think it lives on in name, but only in name.
It's a good few years back now. I used to look over someones shoulder at the site, but wouldn't surf things like that on my own PC
Busted wasn't it? seized servers, perhaps in Canada. Couple of year court case. I missed it all happen, It's just what I heard

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I think it lives on in name, but only in name.
It's a good few years back now. I used to look over someones shoulder at the site, but wouldn't surf things like that on my own PC
Busted wasn't it? seized servers, perhaps in Canada. Couple of year court case. I missed it all happen, It's just what I heard

That's basically what happened but perhaps a simplification. After enough time passed there was an effort to try to re-establish it but everyone was so scattered and distrustful from it's take down that it never got even close to being back to it's full glory.

HempKat

Veteran
Yeah I remember it and spent quite a bit of time actively participating on that site. I can vividly recall when it went down and all the drama that ensued once the bulk of it's users migrated to this site and to other sites active at the time.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Things are going great there. Its been back for awhile now!

Original (real!) OG is long gone and will never be back. ;)

Someone eventually bought the domain name but the content on the original servers was never recovered and as has been mentioned, members/mods scattered.

End of Story

BudToaster

Veteran
i remember overgrow and could not believe what a hole it left in my mind when it went down. it was my social network. it was just always there ... until it wasn't. i felt a great loss. learned a lot there and shared all my vaporizer developments there.

h.h.

Veteran
The same folks who worked hard to end the stigma of marijuana are now passing rumors about vaccines.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
........... it was just always there ... until it wasn't. .............

It didn't take a rocket scientist to see OG was about to go down.

........... the site was hemorrhaging members and deteriorating quickly once it was bought out by the owner of CannabisWorld who also owned seedbank Heaven's Stairway.

After the Nark Emery takedown by USA, Gypsy and others saw the obvious implications of connecting a grow site to a seed bank in a country where it was illegal (Canada/USA) and created ICMag (server located in Netherlands/seedbanks in UK, all legal) in time to welcome the immigrants. :shucks:

Cuddles

It didn't take a rocket scientist to see OG was about to go down.

........... the site was hemorrhaging members and deteriorating quickly once it was bought out by the owner of CannabisWorld who also owned seedbank Heaven's Stairway.

After the Nark Emery takedown by USA, Gypsy and others saw the obvious implications of connecting a grow site to a seed bank in a country where it was illegal (Canada/USA) and created ICMag (server located in Netherlands/seedbanks in UK, all legal) in time to welcome the immigrants. :shucks:

I never joined OG myself but I do seem to recall it being mentioned on CW at the time. People were complaining about OG as well as rollitup, I believe. I think the criticism was about people being too rude and some other stuff.
Sadly CW got taken down too. I still miss HS and c-bay. I really liked the idea that people could sell their own seeds ... and HS provided a great service :)

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
.........mentioned on CW at the time. People were complaining about OG as well as rollitup, I believe. I think the criticism was about people being too rude and some other stuff......

OG had a forum called The Shark Tank where free speech was allowed and a known poster could even post under a guest handle.

....... problem was that some of the CannabisWorld hotshots were getting roasted in the OG Shark Tank, most notably 'breeder' Vic High, especially after he chose to out the real life name of his rival, Sam Skunkman in OG's Shark Tank.

............... shortly thereafter, Vic High's real life name AND place of (family owned!) business was outed in return in the Tank!

I'm pretty darn sure that the main reason CW/Heaven's Stairway owner purchased OG was to abolish the Shark Tank (which they quickly did!) to control this unwanted info as several CW hotshots in partnership with Vic had to tear down their grows along with poor ole Vic!

............... no more of their seeds being produced or sold at Heaven's Stairway!

When it came down to it, the economics of this formerly lucrative arrangement played a huge roll in what subsequently went down, the demise of Hratch Bagdalion's entire empire, OG/CW/HS! ;)

After the prosecution of Nark Emery you'da thought they would have been paying attention, but no, all they could see were the buck$ - blinded by the light! :hotbounce

moose eater

I visited overgrow.com last night. Seemed to be a fairly pleasant site, and lots of folks helping others in the few threads I reviewed. A fair bit less vitriol (or inflated sensitive ego) than some sites... At least in the bits I viewed

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
I visited overgrow.com last night. Seemed to be a fairly pleasant site, and lots of folks helping others in the few threads I reviewed. A fair bit less vitriol (or inflated sensitive ego) than some sites... At least in the bits I viewed

Yeah I had heard that Overgrow.com had come back but I didn't want to say anything since all I knew was mainly hearsay. I did visit it once, early on when it first came back and it was basically just a shadow of it's former self. Then I heard it went down again due to lack of interest. Hearing now that it's back up and a fairly decent and helpful site isn't too surprising to me because the ones wanting it back and working to bring it back seemed mostly the folks that saw only the good in the site and therefore would be motivated to keep it from becoming ruined again.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I've been there recently as well. I liked it but they seem to attract a much younger crowd.

............. alla the older folks are here, which is nice!:biggrin:

Cuddles

OG had a forum called The Shark Tank where free speech was allowed and a known poster could even post under a guest handle.

....... problem was that some of the CannabisWorld hotshots were getting roasted in the OG Shark Tank, most notably 'breeder' Vic High, especially after he chose to out the real life name of his rival, Sam Skunkman in OG's Shark Tank.

............... shortly thereafter, Vic High's real life name AND place of (family owned!) business was outed in return in the Tank!

I'm pretty darn sure that the main reason CW/Heaven's Stairway owner purchased OG was to abolish the Shark Tank (which they quickly did!) to control this unwanted info as several CW hotshots in partnership with Vic had to tear down their grows along with poor ole Vic!

............... no more of their seeds being produced or sold at Heaven's Stairway!

When it came down to it, the economics of this formerly lucrative arrangement played a huge roll in what subsequently went down, the demise of Hratch Bagdalion's entire empire, OG/CW/HS! ;)

After the prosecution of Nark Emery you'da thought they would have been paying attention, but no, all they could see were the buck$ - blinded by the light! :hotbounce

I guess I missed all that or just didn´t notice for whatever reason. Thanks for the insight! I had no idea that there was so much sh*t going on behind the scenes at the time!
I do recall Emery having a bad rep, though... didn´t he have a really terrible website back then (or was that someone else)?

Btw, has or will HS been revived since they got busted? what are those guys doing these days?

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Do a search of richard hratch baghdadlian, there's a lot of interesting stuff on the history of OG and what happened.

As far as I know RC just 'disappeared', never made a statement or nuthin'.

I had a seed order in at the time but was too nervous to send payment and address details as you could just feel the bust about to happen, HS was a good company and I got a lot of seeds from them in the past, no regrets there!:biggrin: