What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone into hummingbirds?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just amazing birds aren't they? They don't come as far South as me but I used to spend considerable time in the Baton Rouge area at a friends home who was a professor at LSU and he had feeders around the house, would be a trip to watch them zing zing zing from feeder to feeder.
He had a cat named Circus that would hunt squirrels , fight them, kill them and then eat them but even this cat, a calico colored crazy cat would just sit and watch these incredible birds as even that cat knew there was no chance of ever catching one ha!

Three Berries

We get them when the seasons are right. I plant a lot of stuff to attract them and there is a lot of native plants around to they like. I can watch them do battle when seducing a mate high in the sky in one watching spot.

They like lichen to line their nest with.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
They like lichen to line their nest with
When my kids were little I found a hummer nest that they used to love looking at. It was camouflaged one the outside with lichens and spider webs, inside was soft down. It was one of the coolest things I've seen in my life, really engineered well. A marvel to the eyes.
1656599646030.png

Last edited:

Three Berries

I was sitting out front having a cold one the other day and the front yard robin was sitting in the tree peeping at the cat below.

Then the robin started to be divebombed on the head by a hummer. Went on for about 5 minutes. There must be a humming bird nest in that tree.

• Love
Reactions: Gry

armedoldhippy

Veteran
finally have hummers coming to my feeders. took nearly to Sept. last year, birds moving south. all i'm seeing so far is females, so the males are here somewhere. the lack of a dominant male defending "his" feeders is making for much more relaxed feeding. on the other hand, i've apparently got a real asshole of a robin in the yard. got 6 birdbaths full of water, and it won't let any other robins bathe here. WTF?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
got down to lower 40s the other night. must have started lots of the birds south. no fighting around the feeders now (boss yard bird gone); birds swing by, top off their tanks with sugar water, and head south by south-west by the compass.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
These things swarm like bees around here. I caught this little guy with his tongue out. LOL I often find their tiny feathers blowing around. Love the layering on the little guy's face and head.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    759.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 76
  • hummingbird-1.jpg
    hummingbird-1.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 72

Gry

They do well with the heat, and they really come to life at dusk .
Am lucky to have them year round, but pretty reduced numbers compared to ten years back.
Am still delighted by the ones which remain, they have a way of making time slip by quickly.
Have a couple of feeders and go through about a quart in a week to ten days.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I got into hummingbirds when I got into Wachuma and working with the native american church.

Hummingbirds are the spirit animal of Wachuma because they are all about heart-space - they are 90% heart by weight.
They can also achieve a higher altitude than any other bird.
The Vulture and Condor are the medicine of the south.
The eagle and the hummingbird are the medicine of the north

armedoldhippy

Veteran
went from one hummingbird every hour or so to seeing 3 or 4 out back in aerial combat, fighting over the feeder. finally wised up and put up 4 more feeders to relieve the crowding, lol. now, i have a different problem. the damn honeybees (which i don't mind) and the yellowjackets and wasps (which i detest) are swarming one of my feeders. makes it very difficult to sit out back and relax with all of those assholes flying around, threatening to sting someone simply because they can. local farm and garden place has allegedly "bee-proof" replacement feeding ports, 9 for $8.99. think i'll hit them up in the morning...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
fucking bees! damn things got so thick that the hummers abandoned my feeders. i finally managed to run the bees off, but no birds have returned yet. gonna buy new feeders this winter with bee-proof guards (store was out!) so the little bastards go somewhere next summer. i like having bees around, but not in clumps covering my feeders...:(

Brother Nature

Was having a conversation with a mate over the weekend about how it's a shame there's no humming birds in NZ. We've got some really cool and unique birds, but nothing like the hummingbird. They're one of my favorite birds, have many fond childhood memories looking out the dining room window at the feeders and always being amazed at them.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Why do hummingbirds hum?

How hummingbirds hum | NSF - National Science Foundation

Unlike other species of birds, a hummingbird wing generates a strong upward aerodynamic force during both the downward and upward wing stroke. Both pressure differences contribute to the hum, but it turns out that the upward lifting pressure difference is the primary source.

Nope. Wrong answer.

They hum because they don't know the words.