What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone 'cured' prostate cancer with....

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Billygoat tails and rice? Lizard lips with gravy? Pickled ducksfoot?

Maybe a pair of geoduck?
geoduck.jpg

G

Thanks everyone who lent supportell presence in their bnes

My guts are still jumbled a bit. Losing over 50 lbs, then letting them pump air into my abdominal cavity, created a 'first' for the surgeon. When he spoke with my wife (and later with me), he continued to express surprise at the amount of skin that popped up like a tall tent when he 'inflated me', which apparently caused him to do some serious recalculations and efforts as to how to get beneath my pelvic bone from that steep of an angle of approach.

Menus? My gut says I'm starved, but still trying to jump-start the innards, getting them off of vacation, and back to their jobs, so thus far (here at our room since last night, as I was just discharged yesterday, after 1.5 days in a 'day bed') it's been protein shakes, a protein bar, herbal tea, lots of water, one narrow, round, thin slice of baggette with a bit of smoked sockeye salmon (proteins and oils), and some grape tomatoes (lycopene, maybe) .

Can't recommend this affair as any sort of recreational pursuit.

So far the surgeon thinks there were n surprises; the lymph glands he stole felt soft, as though there was nothing inside that had developed. He took more from the right side than from the left, as the cancer we KNOW of, is on the right. Likewise, he stated the prostate felt like there was nothing hard/developed contained in the left side of the PG.

But to some degree, that's all feel-good stuff for now; all that material went to the pathology lab to discern of there's anything in there that escaped human touch or view of the naked eye, and I'm pretty much aware of the outcomes in thousands of studies of patients similar to myself, where 85% had microscopic cancer cells present in their ones after radical prostatectomy, in similar time frames as mine was completed.

That's not to say they had cancer, as for most, the cells had not yet organized into anything Darth Vader-ish. It is to say that if I'm to be serious about preventing recurrence, 'll likely be on some semblance of an anti-cancer diet and regimen for long time; like maybe for ever. Not all bad.should hear back within 4-7 days re. what they find.

Nurses at the floor I was at were incredible; understaffed by my observations, and running almost constantly, with a ranging of personalities, but all of them seemed adept and dedicated. A couple times I waited a couple hours to have a drainage bulb emptied and re-compressed, but it got done.

I woke up from surgery benefiting form the part of the anesthetic that induces some degree of amnesia. Seemed I'd just gone to sleep, and they were telling me the 4-hour procedure was completed. Roll-through cancer treatment. Surprisingly little pain immediately afterward, though that later poked its head up, and is with me now.

They gave zero opiates in the hospital after the procedure was over with. Tylenol and Ibuprofen only. Though they discharged me with a very limited amount of oxy, and last night it served well, though I try to avoid it, and am taking a fairly regular dose of stool softeners, as any bearing down to have a bowel movement at this time can result in all sorts of problems.

After the initial surgery, the bandaging around the drain tube flooded quite badly with bleeding, saturating 4 impressive sets of THICK gauze, loading up the bed, part of the toilet, and more. I have to admit I was more than mildly alarmed, but it seems to be finding its way and calming down.

MY overnight in the hospital, I met an amazing nurse who attempts organic gardening, and was nothing shy of a source of grace and sunshine. We had many wonderful conversations in the wee hours of the night; humanity, gardens, dogs, and lots more. She is another who will forever be cast in my mind as a stellar example of what we can be, and of graciousness. wish her the very best. They need to pay people like her more. A most wonderful person.

Back in the room we're staying at, taking care of untended business this morning. Warm air and heavy melting of LOTS of snow set in after our departure from home so my son's been taking care of that; draining the driveway, etc. Likewise, a huge thanks for the persons taking care of my garden.

A huge thank you to the forum member who brought me supplies I was in limited possession of. I owe them.

I need to lay back down now. MY guts are subject to gravity, and they seem to be rebelling re. my telling them to stay where they're supposed to be.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Good luck going forward. I am recuperating from a week old slice & dice myself, so I can directly commiserate.

Some blueberry bubble hash I made a month ago is my morning to bedtime friend at the moment. :rasta:

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
The day after is usually roughest.
I had to fly back from Oahu to the Big Island the next morning.
By the time I got here I was bleeding into the cath bag.
Carried the P-bag around in a cloth shopping bag for a while as my urethra healed.
When they pull the cath, they inject sterile water directly up your bladder.
If they get back as much as they put in, it's clear, and you can start and stop the stream, you will be good to go, or not "go", your choice.
And don't panic on the reptile dysfunction. That can take months to improve.
Full recovery actually takes about 6 months, but you should be mostly functional in less than 30 days.
What helped most was my dog.
She looked so worried that I had to recuperate, yah?

When the lab report arrives; Think negative. Negative margins.
Perineural invasion and positive margins told me that a recurrence was likely.
Took about 14 months to recur and the doubling rate was alarming
I was looking at a 6 year span.
Started graphing the growth rate, then read about RSO.
Started with a "grain of rice" size
and my doubling rate slowed to about 18 months.
Started ramping up the dosage going for a gram per day. that was difficult.
At high dosage ~750 mg. the doubling rate worsened to about 12 months!
That's when I realized that super high dosage was counter productive. Dropped it a fraction for each blood test.
Am taking ~ 140 mg. now and the D. R. has climbed to 2.5 years.
Means cancer is no longer an issue for me.

A friend of mine has recently presented with lung cancer.
She has run out of chemo options so I'm sending her some oil.
Will keep y'all posted on her progress.

G

Good luck going forward. I am recuperating from a week old slice & dice myself, so I can directly commiserate.

Some blueberry bubble hash I made a month ago is my morning to bedtime friend at the moment. :rasta:

Thanks. Yep, waiting for the calendar to flip pages, and the body to do what it needs to, but not being ablee to see the progress leaves lots of room to guess what is causing which twinges.

The NP said no supplements, CBD, THC extract, etc., for a week. The surgeon was impressed with the readiness with which my skin bleeds, & for now I'm attributing the elasticity and ample blood supply to all of the above beneficials.

I could take walks (which I need to do anyway) but I'm tethered to a catheter & a wound drainage bulb, so, thus far, hourly walks around the room we're in is a lot easier (and safer) than changing out my night-time catheter bag for a leg bag. It's taught me greater empathy for those who live this way (or with more appendages than I have) for the rest of their lives. The humility of aging and disability.

I hope you heal well from your medical adventures.

I received numerous notes of support today & last night, via email, from long-ago surrogate Canadian 'family' from the alternative school in the Yukon Territory. Lots of cause for tears of appreciation, re. good folks from long ago and far away. But I'm already burned out on lying on my back in a bed. Looking forward to this phase being in the rear-view, what ever the next move might be.

Thanks again for your kindness..

G

The day after is usually roughest.
I had to fly back from Oahu to the Big Island the next morning.
By the time I got here I was bleeding into the cath bag.
Carried the P-bag around in a cloth shopping bag for a while as my urethra healed.
When they pull the cath, they inject sterile water directly up your bladder.
If they get back as much as they put in, it's clear, and you can start and stop the stream, you will be good to go, or not "go", your choice.
And don't panic on the reptile dysfunction. That can take months to improve.
Full recovery actually takes about 6 months, but you should be mostly functional in less than 30 days.
What helped most was my dog.
She looked so worried that I had to recuperate, yah?

When the lab report arrives; Think negative. Negative margins.
Perineural invasion and positive margins told me that a recurrence was likely.
Took about 14 months to recur and the doubling rate was alarming
I was looking at a 6 year span.
Started graphing the growth rate, then read about RSO.
Started with a "grain of rice" size
and my doubling rate slowed to about 18 months.
Started ramping up the dosage going for a gram per day. that was difficult.
At high dosage ~750 mg. the doubling rate worsened to about 12 months!
That's when I realized that super high dosage was counter productive. Dropped it a fraction for each blood test.
Am taking ~ 140 mg. now and the D. R. has climbed to 2.5 years.
Means cancer is no longer an issue for me.

A friend of mine has recently presented with lung cancer.
She has run out of chemo options so I'm sending her some oil.
Will keep y'all posted on her progress.

Thanks, Weez.

Biggest hassle with the cath bag is running tubing, and timing the next rest room available to drain it.... during COVID, when lots of places limit access to restrooms.

Hoping the recovery goes as smoothly as the surgery seems to have.

I miss my pups, but my youngest son is tending them, the house, and bedding/veggie starts until we return.

Lyft driver from the hospital to the room we're in seemed to hit every bump, and inertia in cornering sent my guts who-knows-where. I want to be home SOON.

We'll be plotting PSA changes. I'll be doing a THC-A extraction when I get back home, which I recall your planning to use as an alternative, as well.

Hope your friend's recovery goes well.

Where we're staying is a place primarily for cancer patients & their families. Fist day here, a vibrant young woman in a colorful head scarf, with no hair (chemo) rolled out of the elevator, life beaming in her eyes, and driving her wheel chair like she was Mario Andretti. There are some brave and vibrant folks here who've chosen to fight hard for their lives, but still smiling broadly. That, too, has been humbling. Getting taught things by folks I've never met.

BTW, surgery was EARLY Tuesday A.M. I'm plotting the hours of recovery now, envisioning the healing process that is, for now, invisible.

Thanks again.

G

Glad this procedure is behind you moose, and good wishes to all getting sliced and diced. my computer ran out of battery yesterday but i was sending all the good juju i can muster. still am. wonderful to hear about the silver lining of meeting a like soul and connecting.
weezard i hear you on recuperating for the dog. mine frets on me in the morning if ive slept past dawn.
much aloha to all and its really nice to see all the love.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Rest up, moose eater . I'm going to celebrate your survival with a trip to the coast and I am taking rods and reels. I will salute the sunrise for you @ 7:11A EDT. Leaving in 3...2...1....

:D

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I hope you heal well from your medical adventures.

Thank you. This was ‘only’ a lumbar decompression. So another scar in my lower back, beside the one from 3 years ago. The creeping scrooge of stenosis, but it ain’t creeping as slowly as I’d like.

My prostate scare came 20 years ago. I had the core sample test - which was the only time I have ever fainted btw – because my poor miss-aligned brother was diagnosed with aggressive PC. He fought it fiercely – on top of HIV - for 10 years, but it eventually won.

The humility of aging and disability.

Now, we REALLY understand how easy it is to become that ranting angry old man who lives next door.

G

A big thank you to all. Very heart warming to read your thoughts. Seriously.

I hadn't felt up to replying earlier today, and had neglected the musical 'gifts' (btw, trich, thanks for the very nice blues/R&B; good stuff, and hope to embody the sentiments.

Thank you, buzz. Hope fishing was good. Salutes at sun-up; positive images.

Cudme & tobedetermined; yep, there's been some good folks post here, and you're both among them.

Today was a 2-steps-back kinda' day; pieces of info that got blurred, causing some frustration already set in motion by 3 (out of 3) businesses I had transactions pending with, failed to update the status (to varying degrees of success/failure), inaccurate info in my medical charts (not at ALL uncommon; most folks who view their med charts in detail, find all KINDS of erroneous crap in them), all added up to doing others' responsibilities when I feel ill-equipped (energy-wise), and currently have an even lower (than normal) tolerance for incompetence & bullshit.

Innards are still quite sensitive but (overall) improved. Getting up in bed doesn't 'undo' me the way it had.

However, when I drink as little as 11.5 oz. of protein shake or H2O, the (hopefully just strained) diaphragm in the area near/between my stomach and heart gets a mildly pained and chilled sensation. I've successfully had 3 bowel movements between yesterday (1) and today (2), and have been eating stool softeners to make THAT happen. But the stools are much darker than before surgery, which has me concerned, as my blood count had been dropping at variable rates for the last 4 blood draws before they discharged me, and I'm well aware of what this COULD mean (I've got little interest in going back into surgery at this time; understandably, I suspect).

So we're monitoring the symptoms, and crossing fingers that there's other explanations offering more benign causes.

Bliss, this is not, but hoping for green grass & high tides down the road, in the near future.

Trying to not go back in to see any Docs until next Tuesday, when we're tentatively scheduled to remove my catheter and drain tube, with the position of the drain tube being ONE of the possible, more benign explanations for the diaphragm phenomenon.

So I'm biding my time, being a grumpy arse, and waiting until next week, when we hopefully yank tubes, and a forum member has mentioned getting me down to the Arboretum, to see the cherry blossoms, and walk in the grass, or something other than urban concrete.

Things at home are reportedly going well, with all 3 pups finally abandoning waiting by the front door for us, and instead sleeping in my younger son's room, though still waiting 'til late to get there.

My plants that will provide ongoing future extract meds are getting healthy in my absence with just H2O (better mix), but will be right AT ready for 5-gallon pots immediately after our return, among other tasks, including an immediate THC-A extraction.

I'd do more pain control than I am, for both sleep & pain, but this is the wrong surgery to induce constipation with. So I'm taking ONE 500 mg acetaminophen every 6 hours now (my mother died from an OD of the stuff; they'd had me on 4,000 mg/day of that shit, but I feel rather protective of my liver and kidneys), I ABSOLUTELY won't eat 600 - 800 mg Ibuprofen (I'm fond of my stomach lining & may have some continued internal bleeding), and am taking ONE light-weight 5 mg Oxycodone at night, though may or may not tonight.

That's a rather thorough report.

Thanks again, all of you, for the kind thoughts & words. Tomorrow may be more positive...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marvin Gaye, Live in Belgium, 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SymakbzeKsA

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- Good to know that you made it thru the procedure without complications so far moose - its just a case of rest and recuperation now I suppose - so hopefully not such a long time - before you are allowed to go home -

buzzmobile

Veteran
The sunrise yesterday seems to have matched your 2 steps back day. It was less than glorious.
P4162117.JPG

The sun tried to make the scene but only briefly.
P4162118.JPG

I fished a lot more than I caught. This little bonnethead shark was fun and he tested the drag for me. I won. I released but I did not kiss him on the lips.
P4162119.JPG

P4162120.JPG

The storms forecast to arrive after 2PM took the express route and arrived before 10AM with the rumble of thunder. Thunder on the beach is not a good thing.
P4162121.JPG

Today is that tomorrow with the positivity attached. I hope so.

Cuddles

moose eater, good to hear you´re doing okay. Not all nurses are great but it sounds like you´re in luck. I hope the treatment you´re getting will be successful.

G

- Good to know that you made it thru the procedure without complications so far moose - its just a case of rest and recuperation now I suppose - so hopefully not such a long time - before you are allowed to go home -

Thanks, Gypsy.

Yes, we're past the more acute risks of anesthetic OD or related reactions, still monitoring symptoms for what might be internal bleeding (size small? But with a improvement late last night to color and thus less indicative of internal bleeding), and the effluent from the surgical drain/bulb is a bit thinner, with less medium, bright red to it; trying to go deep pink, but taking its time.

Catheter output has us mildly concerned at times, including this AM, and we were forewarned that if evidence of ceasing of spontaneous flow arises, even if only for a several hour period, to head straight to the ER.

It's often what we can't see with our eyes, which leaves us guessing in a somewhat informed manner, that carries what ever level of anxiety with it. Probably a good time to practice being a bit more Zen about the whole thing.

Thanks again, and trust all's well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben Harper & Eddie Vedder, Live acoustic, Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrP_j3J_msY

G

The sunrise yesterday seems to have matched your 2 steps back day. It was less than glorious.
filedata/fetch?id=17834601&d=1618656498
The sun tried to make the scene but only briefly.
filedata/fetch?id=17834602&d=1618656552
I fished a lot more than I caught. This little bonnethead shark was fun and he tested the drag for me. I won. I released but I did not kiss him on the lips.
filedata/fetch?id=17834603&d=1618657093
filedata/fetch?id=17834604&d=1618657106
The storms forecast to arrive after 2PM took the express route and arrived before 10AM with the rumble of thunder. Thunder on the beach is not a good thing.
filedata/fetch?id=17834605&d=1618657377
Today is that tomorrow with the positivity attached. I hope so.

Thank you, buzz.

Catching something is usually better than limp lines. Glad you had a day on the water, and some fun doing it.

In my early or mid-20s, on my birthday, I put my old traveling partner, my Norwegian Elkhound, Missy, in the forward hole of a 2-person soft-skin kayak, loaded up a variety of firearms, beer, and grub, put a stack of wool blankies under the pup so she could see better w/o standing up, ate about a 1/4-oz. of shrooms, and headed from Pig Island on the Tanana River, near Fairbanks, down to Nenana, leaving about midnite. Made record time; envisioned my arms and paddles as the rams and wheel on an old stern-wheeler. Five hours or so later, I was one bend above the Village of Nenana, and finally stopped at a sand bar, as I was now not high enough to worry excessively about puncturing the skin of the boat on unseen concerns n the silty water, but was still high enough I didn't need to be stopping in the middle of the Village... and my ride home was still hours away.

But earlier that night, not long after departure, I encountered a lightning storm. I had a patch kit for the boat, but was high enough, and paranoid enough, that the unseen sweepers and such stopped me from stopping, as stated before.

I knew was a greater target for the lightning out on the water, and was weighing the (non-risks) in my very high mind, when the lightning storm literally seemed to break into 2, and went around me to either side. I felt like I was Moses, dealing with the Red Sea. That came back to me, re. your fishing on the beach with thunder.

Glad you had a good day, even if cloudy, and with less-than-delectable critters on the line. "It was a day."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben Harper, Live Collection, 1997 to 2012

Excuse Me Mister/Burnin' & Lootin'

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpQ35RiB550

G

moose eater, good to hear you´re doing okay. Not all nurses are great but it sounds like you´re in luck. I hope the treatment you´re getting will be successful.

Thank you, cuddles. Yes, cuddles are good; touch and care can contribute to the healing the body struggles with if all alone. (*Read your avatar more closely; good stuff).

Yes, though some nurses were more random than others, I was graced with some extremely caring and patient persons, despite their being under-staffed. COVID has pinched medical care in ways many aren't aware, in many ways.

One nurse in particular, I need to see if I can get some sort of personal commendation placed into her personnel file. She earned it and then some, seemingly by just being who she is, likely beyond some of her own life trials that cast her into who she came to be. A strikingly beautiful soul. She and the recovery nurse I had in Anchorage after a triple laminectomy 3 years ago this coming June, defy accurate words in re. to their glow and humanity. Angels, both of them.

Thank you for your kindness.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben Harper, Live

'Diamonds on the Inside'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7y7Cl_PBGk

Last edited:
G

That is a wild story moose. I love being on dark water in a kayak. some of the deepest thrills. maybe ill go hit that ocean...
i bet your dog had a blast too. mine doesnt like ocean. tried a few times and then she would hide when i was ready for launch....haha

G

That is a wild story moose. I love being on dark water in a kayak. some of the deepest thrills. maybe ill go hit that ocean...
i bet your dog had a blast too. mine doesnt like ocean. tried a few times and then she would hide when i was ready for launch....haha

Thanks, cudme.

Dark water on the ocean or lakes, in proper depth, has typically been a positive mystery for me. "What's down there for positive surprises?"

In river water, with the current taking you where it wants sometimes, what has been a non-threatening thing for me on Big Water, becomes more of unseen threats. A faster river can pin a boat to sleepers, visible or not, and the current can then capsize the boat. Bad news we've seen before, even with river boats.

The Tanana, at its fastest, flows just under 3 mph. Not too fast, but remembering the water weighs 8 lb./gallon, there's a LOT of it flowing, even if only at that pace, and can pin a boat sideways to an obstruction, and slowly or quickly roll the bugger over. Things I learned over time.

Missy, in her youth, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, out on Lake Independence, hopped over the gunwale of an aluminum canoe we were in, back about 1976, apparently unable to discern the H2O from land, and immediately completely submerged just beneath the surface. I grabbed her collar, and , lifted her back into the boat. That was her early learning lesson with being in craft on water. Best way to learn a lesson (for both of us); scare the shit out of yourself, but live to laugh about it. :)

Yep, I was a water baby. She learned to be one.. later on.

I lost her on Christmas Day in Fireside, British Columbia, in the early 1980s. Broke my heart. Ate speed for 3 days cruising up and down that stretch, but never found her. Friends in the area shared third-party reports of sightings over the next couple years, and I would stop in that area on the road, hike up Coal River with a shotgun, and other rivers or streams, but never found her. I hoped she found peace, or passed without too much agony, ate some peyote, lit some Navajo candles, and tried to find her in the ether. That's another story; lots of interpretations.

Thanks again, and good luck with your pup and the kayak. Both offer good meditation potential.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben Harper, Live on Letterman

'I Will Not Be Broken'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0AxsEY50cw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts