What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anybody using Canna Aqua? question

Endrega

I recently switched to Canna Aqua for my pebble/correl beds.

Canna sais on their website to set the ph to 5,2 and then it regulates itself between 5,2 and 6,2.

With my last fertiliser I had not good experience going below 5,8 so there is some hesitation on my side.
Anyone can say something from their experiance?

Peace!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I recently switched to Canna Aqua for my pebble/correl beds.

Canna sais on their website to set the ph to 5,2 and then it regulates itself between 5,2 and 6,2.

With my last fertiliser I had not good experience going below 5,8 so there is some hesitation on my side.
Anyone can say something from their experiance?

Peace!
I would only start at 5.8 pH and then let it balance out.

Endrega

I think you misunderstood my question. I know which is the optimal pH range and normally I would go 6,0. But this is about what Canna says about their Aqua range.

I renewed the reservoirs yesterday, calibrated my gear and set ph at 5,2 to 5,25 just as the manufacturer recommends and after 24 hours I calibrated my gear again and did a reading and I had 6,1-6,15

I will try to check as often as possible on those res but my first impression is that this "5,2 set and forget" rule seems to work.

Note that I used only Canna Aqua A+B, pH down and Silica.
I did NOT use Rhizotonic, Cannaboost or Cannazym.
Especially Rhizotonic influences the ph level so I wanted to try without first.

Greetings

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Yes, with Canna nutes it is a good idea to start with a lower ph because they drift upward. I go 5.3 for the Substra and it climbs to 5.8 next day.

weedemart

substra and aqua are totally different. subtra is nitrate based while aqua has a higher % of ammonium so it act as a ph buffer. with substra its totally fine to start at 5.3 but with aqua you should aim 5.7. as long as the ph hold 5.2-6.2 dont touch it.

Endrega

This is not what the manufacturer says and I can only confirm that so far.

From my observation when I set 5,2 and check the next day it has about 6,0-6,2 and it mostly stays like that. It is the same what the manufacturer states on their website. I tried it out.

When I set the ph at 5,8 or 6,0 it goes up to 6,5 and higher and I have to correct multiple times.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The alkalinity in the liquid is what sets the pH. Not the other way around. The manufacturer can adjust the pH by having a set alkalinity ppm per unit.

weedemart

Not really but close. Most fertilizer are alkaline true that's why I said substra will raise ph but ammonium act as an acid so depend on your nutrients it could be acid.thing to remember is ammonium decrease rootzone ph and nitrate raise ph

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Not really but close. Most fertilizer are alkaline true that's why I said substra will raise ph but ammonium act as an acid so depend on your nutrients it could be acid.thing to remember is ammonium decrease rootzone ph and nitrate raise ph
In chemistry, alkalinity takes precedence over hydrogen.

What is hydrogen classified?
Hydrogen is a chemical element with symbol H and atomic number 1. Classified as a nonmetal, Hydrogen is a gas at room temperature.

alkaline ions chemically neutralize acid, thereby taking precedence over hydrogen.

weedemart

That's the the theory, but in practice it doesn't work like that. It's not chemistry once in rootzone , it's biology

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Should you adjust alkalinity or pH first?
Because pH and alkalinity adjustments affect one another, you should always correct the total alkalinity before pH. This is because proper total alkalinity will act as a buffer for pH, helping to prevent fluctuations in pH levels. Google

water alkalinity designates its concentration in bicarbonates
always neutralize the alcalinity with acid before mixing your nutrients
chelates in your fertilizer (especially eddha iron) are sensitive to ph under 3.5
chelates in direct contact with acid will be destroyed

the best acid is nitric acid, it is very reactive and do no form any precipitate

fill your reservoir with tap water, correct the ph to 5.5, and mix your nutrients
the ph of the solution will naturally climb over the days
with canna aqua you can go up to 6.5 without any problem

Endrega

you guys are making a simple question as complicated as it gets..

As mentioned above I have done my own trial and concluded that the recommendations of Canna are correct.
Pour A, then B, then pH set to 5,2 and do nothing, but keep watch.
That was all.

PS- I have done the first harvest grown this way and it's some of my biggest

as someone who is considering canna nutes(the rockwool dtw version), im kind of shocked at the target 5.2 then wait a day to get +-6 !?!? am I understanding this correctly? because if so, its an easy no for canna nutes. im using veg/bloom. I get stable numbers after 5 min of mixing.

im getting kinda annoyed at powder nutes, left bottle open on accident, came back to a slushie. thats y im looking into liquid alternatives. im dtw coco and some in rockwool/hydroton. suggestions welcome :)