What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anybody still using DE HPS?

Phlavorjunkee

Veteran
I'm setting up a new 8x8 room

Currently running 600/1000 watt
Single ended bulbs/ballasts in closed( glass) reclectors.

Was looking to upgrade to one DE HPS for center of new room. Looking to get more lumens and run open reflector .I know double ended stuff lasts longer, can. Run open,more lumens and I. Some cases wider footprint.

Any recommendations? Advice
I know everyone will suggest LED.
is DE HPS a dead technology not worth investing in at this point?

thugpoet

Hi,
The DE are cheaper to buy /light, but usually only takes 600-700W LED to output higher PPFD. You get a more even light distribution, need less cooling, less stretchier plant, better spectrum with LED.
The DE will need to replace the lamp/bulb roughly every year, whereas the LED will require 0 to no maintenance for several years.
So LED ends up being cheaper in the long run and a better light source.
The only HID that are still relevant are CMH (and usually used in conjonction with LED)

Cannamicably,
Thug :smoker:

Phlavorjunkee

Veteran
Switched to L.E.D and never looked back. I have a Gavita 1700e, my local grow shop has them on sale right now, might add another one soon.
Ive noticed the Gavita 1700e are cheap now , nearly half the price they used to be. Thinking it's already outdated tech as far as LED .

I do plan on mixing DE HPS with LED.
But would like to use the HPS for heat in colder months.

I already have a couple Single ended CMH setups I'm going to run in the space.
But considering a DE 630watt CMH as a upgrade there too.
Looking for mixed light sources in the new room for sure.

Anyone have any experience with Illuminar
Lighting?

endgegner

I used HPS because I was too poor to afford an LED. I think this is the only reason why you should use LED as a personal grower. And maybe if you are a first time grower and don't wanna spend that much money on equipment (like buying a used HPS with ballast on eBay).