What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any use in slow drying/curing buds to make kief?

organik40

if all we want is the trichomes, is there any purpose to slow drying and curing?

by the time it is sifted, it is frozen and dry anyhow.

what about curing the kief before smoking or pressing into slabs?

earthwyrms

i don’t know, but it may; if the trichomes are still developing by being able to have enough moisture (when cured properly), and whatever activity is happening in there is developing positive chemical changes like acids to cannibinoids or terpene expression (i read and have observed the smell change when in the plant and while being wet trimmed from fruity etc. to “hay” or whatever that smell is. the good smells are said to come back i think (SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG I DO NOT WANT TO SPREAD MISINFORMATION! thanks) ; then seemingly it would develop better kief/trichomes; especially if not wet trimmed.

i’ve seen it said that cured smell is even better than fresh when done right too. also correct me if wrong please

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
My weed has always smelled a little green and I always worry a little bit until the end of week three when the true bouquet surfaces.

As for Kief/Hash, some top shelf hash has always been cured I think. Temple balls come to mind. Mind you it's the hash that is cured, not the bud.

Here's Gypsy's video on Moroccan hash making. Notice how dry the weed is before they start collecting the kief.

[iframe1]BI2cO4O16G8[/iframe1]

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I have always heard/read that in the traditional production countries they cut in the late fall & stack the harvests to dry. Then they made hash in the winter months - which would be a month or two cure essentially. I make my bubble at 3-6 months cure & it tastes great & is typically very potent. But I am just an amateur . . . :rasta:

EsterEssence

Veteran
The cannabis gets cured in most places waiting for the cold to make the kief, they have been doing it this way for years, they don’t have any cold rooms, maybe now they are getting power but they have been doing it in this manner for a couple thousand years...

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Some buds that smelled like Simple Green or another cleaner were bagged for a while and kept in a cool closet, in the hope that the smell might change. It did not and they were dry sifted anyways. The smell was in fact much more concentrated in the leaf than the hash - the smell is not being produced at the trichomes. The curing action ate all the remaining water and the very dry and crumbly buds did produce lots of material but it was much stalkier than usual, even the 150-200 mesh material was all jumbled stalks. Yield is yield for the hash maker, but I'm not so interested in stalks. It seems that everyone is breeding for long thick stalks (LOOK AT ALL THAT WHITE! FUCK YEAH!!!) instead of big heads, and the stalks come off easier over time. Sensi's NL5xHaze used to have particularly short squat trichomes. Much prefer the short fat bulbous trichs.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
i don’t know, but it may; if the trichomes are still developing by being able to have enough moisture (when cured properly), and whatever activity is happening in there is developing positive chemical changes like acids to cannibinoids or terpene expression (i read and have observed the smell change when in the plant and while being wet trimmed from fruity etc. to “hay” or whatever that smell is. the good smells are said to come back i think (SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG I DO NOT WANT TO SPREAD MISINFORMATION! thanks) ; then seemingly it would develop better kief/trichomes; especially if not wet trimmed.

i’ve seen it said that cured smell is even better than fresh when done right too. also correct me if wrong please
I have never experienced the "hay" smell which IMHO is nothing more than improperly dried flowers that were jarred too soon, or improperly burped jars. Yes the "fresh" bouquet exhibited during growth will fade somewhat after being jarred but, you should definitely see/smell the difference the cure is doing in developing the "true" bouquet of your buds.

mack 10

Veteran
Some buds that smelled like Simple Green or another cleaner were bagged for a while and kept in a cool closet, in the hope that the smell might change. It did not and they were dry sifted anyways. The smell was in fact much more concentrated in the leaf than the hash - the smell is not being produced at the trichomes. The curing action ate all the remaining water and the very dry and crumbly buds did produce lots of material but it was much stalkier than usual, even the 150-200 mesh material was all jumbled stalks. Yield is yield for the hash maker, but I'm not so interested in stalks. It seems that everyone is breeding for long thick stalks (LOOK AT ALL THAT WHITE! FUCK YEAH!!!) instead of big heads, and the stalks come off easier over time. Sensi's NL5xHaze used to have particularly short squat trichomes. Much prefer the short fat bulbous trichs.

The terps where lost in the drying process.
Some Hash requires the sessqua terps to die back a bit. Or the Hash will be coughy and harsh
The actually sun dry too burn off some terps.

Like ester said a while back they been doing this for thousands of years, weather they understand what and why is another matter.

Tynehead Tom

I make hash fairly frequently and there is quite a bit of aging in the process.
Of course you don't need to using aging processes but I can tell you from personal experience that curing and aging bring much more to the final product than most folks may realize. I don't understand what all is happening but I followed the Frenchi Canoli hash videos and he dives pretty deep into the topic.

Anyhow. I age my trim and small bud in jars the same way I would cure my flowers. Hash usually gets made from product that has been glass stored for at least 2 months but usually longer. I try and do 2 big batches a year.
Then once the trichomes are sifted out they get hand pressed into storage size and put away for 2 to 4 months. Then I take it out and do the final press and it's ready for smoking. It holds it's consistency and it develops a rich and lasting hash odor that was not so prevalent in prior to storage/cure. Seems a heck of a lot stronger and fuller effect as well.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I assume that the trichomes also contain cellular water that evaporates. It may be this that causes shrinkage rather than losing volatile organics.

The terps where lost in the drying process.
Some Hash requires the sessqua terps to die back a bit. Or the Hash will be coughy and harsh
The actually sun dry too burn off some terps.

Like ester said a while back they been doing this for thousands of years, weather they understand what and why is another matter.

Whatever was lost was not what I wanted lost. The sesquiterpenes are the odor molecules that remain longest. The molecules that remain after hanging in air in the dark for 2-3 weeks are substantially retained at 6 months if not handled. Bags and jars change nothing except for the handling.

Hash makers know nothing except how to maximize yields. Beating whole plants on a screen (what I should have done) is only so much of an art. Imported hash was common in the early 80's, when my first outdoor finger hash blew it away.

Drewsif

You can cure resin by itself but I'd rather do it on the plant. Uncured resin isn't a finished product. Live resin is not a legitimate product, it's green banana.

Having tried the "terpiest" concentrates from multiple legal markets, don't take advice from anyone younger than yourself, you won't be satisfied. Uncured weed, what's the point? Monoterpenes? Gross and unhealthy. To make profit off children is the goal of those products. People are actually griping that concentrate is too dry these days. By people I mean young people who never tasted weed even tho they smoke weed every day.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I assume that the trichomes also contain cellular water that evaporates. It may be this that causes shrinkage rather than losing volatile organics.

Whatever was lost was not what I wanted lost. The sesquiterpenes are the odor molecules that remain longest. The molecules that remain after hanging in air in the dark for 2-3 weeks are substantially retained at 6 months if not handled. Bags and jars change nothing except for the handling.

Hash makers know nothing except how to maximize yields. Beating whole plants on a screen (what I should have done) is only so much of an art. Imported hash was common in the early 80's, when my first outdoor finger hash blew it away.
Which is exactly why people use automated curing. No messing and flipping bins. And once it's cured, it's purged with Nitrogen for long term storage. Open a bucket, jar or bin 6 months later and you get hit in the face with those wonderful aromas. No need to squeeze or grind the buds to get the last remaining Terps out.

Jar%20Assembly%20-%201%20Gallon.jpg

dirty-joe

1),The smell was in fact much more concentrated in the leaf than the hash - 2),the smell is not being produced at the trichomes.

1), by far not in my experience. I somewhat like lower odor, stealthy strains, such as NL. (opposed to say skunk) Anyway this year after dry, and cure, 3 of 4 plants (klashnakova) https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...outdoors/17885460-kalashnikova-up-on-the-roof ,
had little to no smell, but after further drying later in January, and made into hash, all batches of hash from each different plant were wonderfully fragrant, and virtually indistinguishable from each other. Certainly far more odor than any dry "leaf".

2), Just where then do you think the smell does come from ? Rhetorical question.

dirty-joe

Also just thought of it, a good cure may result in a better return. I said "may".

And to add to the aroma discussion, I just open a bottle of last years hash, (2020 crop), and the smell alone is intoxicating.
All this hash talk has got me ....reaching for the pipe.
IMG_3191.JPG