What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any other turkey hunters on here?

Three Berries

From my back yard a few years ago. One of the farmer neighbors was feeding them out in his pasture.

Turkey and stump.jpg

Turkey and youngins.jpg

Timbro

if it doesn't bother you, you are not much of a human being. i drive more carefully now as well; don't want to hit/hurt something/someone. a humane hunter will seriously evaluate the distance/circumstances where he/she will shoot at a quarry, regardless of weapon. honestly facing your limitations...
Totally agree. That's why I get so mad at folks telling others "yeah, 223 is more than enough for deer, I've killed deer with .22 back in my day". Well, yeah you can kill deer with those, but it will run around in pain if you don't land a perfect shot... Some people are just so daft...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Totally agree. That's why I get so mad at folks telling others "yeah, 223 is more than enough for deer, I've killed deer with .22 back in my day". Well, yeah you can kill deer with those, but it will run around in pain if you don't land a perfect shot... Some people are just so daft...
the .223 will work for deer, as you point out, so long as the shooter only takes virtually ideal shots and is using appropriate weight/construction bullets in it. unfortunately, the round is becoming a "go-to" for younger shooters for its lack of recoil. they don't have the needed time on the gun to be those calm/patient/selective folks that can use it effectively and humanely. a .22 LR ? no, unless it is a survival situation and you cannot get a more suitable firearm period.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
went and sat in the woods for hours the other day. saw exactly zero turkeys, no deer, not much of anything except a squirrel that wanted to use my log as a highway. but damn...sitting there watching the leaves fall & looking out over the lake was most excellent. good weed, blue skies, puffy white clouds...:bow:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
the .223 will work for deer, as you point out, so long as the shooter only takes virtually ideal shots and is using appropriate weight/construction bullets in it. unfortunately, the round is becoming a "go-to" for younger shooters for its lack of recoil. they don't have the needed time on the gun to be those calm/patient/selective folks that can use it effectively and humanely. a .22 LR ? no, unless it is a survival situation and you cannot get a more suitable firearm period.
.243 Winchester is a good starting cartridge for beginners . Low recoil, proven deer killer.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
.243 Winchester is a good starting cartridge for beginners . Low recoil, proven deer killer.
a highly regarded multi-purpose caliber too. useful on any NA big game below the size of elk and flat shooting enough to use on varmints as well. there are those that consider it a caliber best left to experts like they do the .223... same complaint - "itty-bitty bullets"

armedoldhippy

Veteran
last season was a bust for me. one sighting, no shots, no gobbling. i've seen nearly twenty gobblers this season, although many are jakes. TN lowered their limit from 3 to 2, only one of which can be a jake. they also set the season opener back about 2 weeks. i'm good on both counts, the turkey population is in crash mode right now, and they don't know why. 'bama and TN both searching for answers on this.

belleswell

Our local flock is rather larger. Around 130 of them.
I recently found out that large flocks are also called a rafter.

They are hilarious to watch.

Backyard Turkeys
ZwhnDsjh.jpg

Frontyard Turkeys
pJBC70kh.jpg

6QmvjLHh.jpg

qxQV3Jwh.jpg

There is also an out of focus deer at the far end of the pond on the left. The deer's ass is facing camera.
I never knew it was there when I took the shot, but saw it when I reviewing the pics on my pc.
P51e8EKh.jpg

Turkey Tango
iX210KGh.jpg

Smooth Talking Turkey
88OTlKIh.jpg

86L8GEbh.jpg

C15ly1Lh.jpg

b0dWfosh.jpg

The Muskrat is not the first thing one notices when viewing this pic
5k5STwJh.jpg

PUj9hsQh.jpg

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
went out to hunt turks today. temps were perfect, glorious beautiful sunrise, blue skies....not fuck. wind was howling through the treetops so bad i wouldn't have heard a 747 go down in the woodlot i was in. :dunno: i did see a huge tom on the way home, out posing for pictures in a green field, all puffed up & full of himself, lol... all in all, a good day to sit on a log next to a creek & get stoned...so i did.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Tennessee delayed their season by two weeks hoping for better reproduction. unfortunately, they forgot that some hens already had poults by the normal ending date, 2nd Sunday in May. now, it won't end until the 28th, and LOTS of nesting hens will be disturbed by hunters. i'm not gonna be one of them, already getting ticks on me...

Boob McNoob

420giveaway
Not a hunter myself but curious about the process of dressing your kills. Is this done in the field (leaving behind the remnants) or at your home; if done at home, is there any established etiquette for discarding the detritus? This question comes about from a vivid but distant memory of someone dressing a deer in their side yard in a suburban neighborhood. Aside from the shock impression it left was the lingering thought of whether it was simply added to household garbage or burned or buried?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Not a hunter myself but curious about the process of dressing your kills. Is this done in the field (leaving behind the remnants) or at your home; if done at home, is there any established etiquette for discarding the detritus? This question comes about from a vivid but distant memory of someone dressing a deer in their side yard in a suburban neighborhood. Aside from the shock impression it left was the lingering thought of whether it was simply added to household garbage or burned or buried?
don't think they want them into dumpsters, but that's where most go here in town. i find (smell) dumped deer carcasses regularly along the Holston River here. lots of places to pull over and not be seen dumping. not sure HOW they want you to dispose of the bones etc. :dunno: if you have it butchered the shop disposes of it .

right

Looks exciting. I haven't hunted turkey, but I used to hunt those big bucks up in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Up by lake Superior, in the Keweenaw.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
420giveaway
Bow season starts here on Oct. 2.
Spent the day yesterday putting up stands and blinds along with some minor shooting lane trimming.
Turkey starts Oct. 16. Ill be headed to my property on the mainland for that as we have no turkeys ( except the two legged ones from NY and NJ ) here on the island where I live. Ive been seeing lots of turkeys there. Up to 24 at a time.
I also plan on doing some coyote hunting . I'm seeing a lack of deer on the property and I'm pretty sure that is due to the large pack of yodel dogs I'm catching on my game cams. During the day you can use any weapon you want on coyotes so Ill be using my AR predator setup, a new .22 Mag rifle and a 12 ga. shotgun loaded with F shot ,depending on the setup.
My favorite part of the year starts next week. Ill be hunting pretty much non stop until the end of the year, filling my two chest freezers for the coming year .
I love passing the meat aisle at the grocery store. No hormone antibiotic soaked factory farm meat for me, thanks.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
420giveaway
Depending on the location the guts are left in the field for the other woodland critters to eat or the deer is taken out whole and processed at home. I usually take the deer out whole if practical , Most of the property owners where I hunt prefer that parts are not left in the woods and hanging the deer and cleaning it at home is cleaner. I also process the meat myself. Hide , bones and other leftovers are taken to the local landfill and composted.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
420giveaway
A couple bucks I caught on cam in the pines behind my home .
They might not be considered huge deer in some places but they are good deer for this area.
The spot I got the picture at is a communal scrape that is used every year by several bucks. During the rut you never know what will show up there.
bucks .JPG

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
420giveaway
I work a depredation permit for non migratory Canada geese at a local farm.
I got 11 by 7:45 a few mornings ago.
The farmer estimates they do 50-70 thousand dollars worth of damage every year.
goose action.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts