What's new
  • Podcast

Our video interview between Gypsy Nirvana and Soma is now available to watch in the podcast section. Click here to check it out.

any other turkey hunters on here?

Three Berries

From my back yard a few years ago. One of the farmer neighbors was feeding them out in his pasture.

Turkey and stump.jpg

Turkey and youngins.jpg

Timbro

if it doesn't bother you, you are not much of a human being. i drive more carefully now as well; don't want to hit/hurt something/someone. a humane hunter will seriously evaluate the distance/circumstances where he/she will shoot at a quarry, regardless of weapon. honestly facing your limitations...
Totally agree. That's why I get so mad at folks telling others "yeah, 223 is more than enough for deer, I've killed deer with .22 back in my day". Well, yeah you can kill deer with those, but it will run around in pain if you don't land a perfect shot... Some people are just so daft...

armedoldhippy

Totally agree. That's why I get so mad at folks telling others "yeah, 223 is more than enough for deer, I've killed deer with .22 back in my day". Well, yeah you can kill deer with those, but it will run around in pain if you don't land a perfect shot... Some people are just so daft...
the .223 will work for deer, as you point out, so long as the shooter only takes virtually ideal shots and is using appropriate weight/construction bullets in it. unfortunately, the round is becoming a "go-to" for younger shooters for its lack of recoil. they don't have the needed time on the gun to be those calm/patient/selective folks that can use it effectively and humanely. a .22 LR ? no, unless it is a survival situation and you cannot get a more suitable firearm period.

armedoldhippy

went and sat in the woods for hours the other day. saw exactly zero turkeys, no deer, not much of anything except a squirrel that wanted to use my log as a highway. but damn...sitting there watching the leaves fall & looking out over the lake was most excellent. good weed, blue skies, puffy white clouds...:bow:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
the .223 will work for deer, as you point out, so long as the shooter only takes virtually ideal shots and is using appropriate weight/construction bullets in it. unfortunately, the round is becoming a "go-to" for younger shooters for its lack of recoil. they don't have the needed time on the gun to be those calm/patient/selective folks that can use it effectively and humanely. a .22 LR ? no, unless it is a survival situation and you cannot get a more suitable firearm period.
.243 Winchester is a good starting cartridge for beginners . Low recoil, proven deer killer.

armedoldhippy

.243 Winchester is a good starting cartridge for beginners . Low recoil, proven deer killer.
a highly regarded multi-purpose caliber too. useful on any NA big game below the size of elk and flat shooting enough to use on varmints as well. there are those that consider it a caliber best left to experts like they do the .223... same complaint - "itty-bitty bullets"