What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Optic 8 LED user here to help me set and dim for a 80cm x 80cm grow space?

greenops

Hey fellow growers

I been out of the game for a while. This winter I'm returning with a small borrowed Homebox 80x80cm (30in x 30in) tent.

I'm going to grow 5 plants in 6.5l coco pots, DTW.

I recently bought the Optic8+ LED which is equivalent to a 1150w HPS. I was planning to use this light next year for a bigger tent. But since the grow light I borrowed along with the tent is rather weak (165w LED) I decided to use the Optic 8+ instead and try to get the most out of this grow tent.

Obviously letting this go at full power would be overkill.
Is anyone here familiar with the Optic 8? I only used to grow with HPS before so LED is new to me.

At what level should I dim this LED to get the most out of my grow space? There are 3 controls (Veg, Bloom, Bloom Enhancer) that can be set from 0 to 100% and COBs that I can turn and off. I'd appreciate it if someone can help me set this up...

Thanks in advance!

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi.
In a 90x50x160 tent i have three Cree CXB3590 cobs each @ about 28 watts right now 60-65cm above canopy and I can’t run them any harder or my plants start to suffer from cob-damage; the leaves start going pale and feel abit dry in your fingers. Can’t raise the light any higher either and modern white leds/cobs need quite abit of clearance to the canopy, more than most led companies seem to think and recommend.

So you have to dim that light quite abit, cause it’s abit over the top in that tent but I’m sure it will work fine after you get it dialed in.
Start with 75-90 watts at 60-75cm to canopy and take it from there.; the more watts you wanna use, the higher you have to raise the light. Modern white leds/cobs are really powerful and will fry your plants if you have your light dialed in too hot.

CalMag and Epsom salts will help keep the leaves In better shape under leds.

You should get an energy consumption/watt meter, those cost around 15-20 dollars/euros and it’s an easy way to see how the dimmer is working on your light fixture and how much the light is drawing from the wall at different settings.

eng_pl_Wattmeter-meter-of-energy-consumption-14965_2.jpg

powermeter280.jpg
powermeter280.jpg