What's new

Any monopod/head experts out there?

I've been using the 40d for a few years, love it.
I just got a new body, and holy smokes is it nice. i few new things to learn, and boy oh boy is the auto focusing amazing.

i really need to get a monopod, i was wondering what your suggestions may be. the biggest lens i have is a 70-200mm 2.8, so nothing too huge. I don't mind paying money for a nice one, but i do not need top of the line. being lightweight is a plus, but is not crucial. the quality of the head is more important.

thats my next thing, the heads. i do not know much about them, but i want a good quality head. i was leaning towards manfrotto. the biggest problem i have, is there are hundreds and hundreds of different heads, its pretty gosh darn confusing.

if you know of any good tripods let me know as well. same thing as the heads, manfrotto makes so many, its hard to choose.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Walt thanks for asking, I too would love to hear from someone who has experience in this...especially the heads. I need a good grip head but one that is rock solid. DD

hey DD, i love the photographs you post!
i was reading this months popular photography today, and they rated the manfrotto mh055m8-q5 tripod head as the best tripod top. i will copy what it says in the article...

Shooters who do both stills and video can have a head problem: the three-way pan/tilt head that's right for video doesn't allow the fast composition that a ballhead does, but there's no way you're going to get smooth video panning with a ballhead.This manfrotto is two heads in one: A switch toggles between ballhead operation and fluid pan/tilt movement. Made of light magnesium, it has adjustable friction, a quick-release shoe, a panning lock, and a removable panning handle that reverses for right- or left-handed operation.

It costs $350, but i think its worth it if you shoot both. I want it bad since my new body does video, and i have some L lenses that would be amazing for video.
my brother is a "pro" so i can ask him questions, but he mostly knows his own gear. he uses canon as well

do you run nikon or canon Mr duck?

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Walt thank you for your appreciation of my work, I run a couple Canon bodys but a suitecase of lenses. I don't do video though I may someday. I've had Peeps asking to see the hummingbirds in action..next summer..it was 20 here last night. Thanks for the info..DD