What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any Jeep lovers on here?

Wendull C.

Veteran
I love my cherokee. Im on my 3rd and had to get the 99' as a trade in because they stopped making the lovely machines. Mine is set up to hunt and will climb anything to get me to a tough trail head. I hunt on foot with a backpack and very long hikes.

Straight 6 and dana lockers with an aluminum unibody. Whats not to love. Not that i wouldnt trade it for a scrambler in a second. Need a bed to put an elk in....

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Seems like the roads and beaches here eat most Jeeps for lunch. They are definitely the #1 dead on the side of the road vehicle around here. Maybe that's just because there are so many of them and lots of them are old.
That said, I bought the Mrs. a 2015 Trailhawk Renegade. It's been a great vehicle, so far.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
my Wrangler has been giving me fits lately. it runs great, but stops horribly! :biggrin: all i have (had) are(were) front brakes. my big brothers idiot stepson stole it one night when he was in the hospital & took it joyriding in the snow. rolled it on its roof & fucked up many things underneath, including rear brake lines/hoses. then, 2 days ago, ignorant old fruitbat makes illegal u-turn in front of me on 4 lane. when i slammed on brakes, metal line popped (rusty shit!) & i went into median at about 60 to miss her.:woohoo: what a ride! now i'm building all new tubing & gonna fix rear brakes as well. sure wish Jeep had not used pre-rusted tubing when they built the Wranglers...:comfort:

Gone Camping

my Wrangler has been giving me fits lately. it runs great, but stops horribly! :biggrin: all i have (had) are(were) front brakes. my big brothers idiot stepson stole it one night when he was in the hospital & took it joyriding in the snow. rolled it on its roof & fucked up many things underneath, including rear brake lines/hoses. then, 2 days ago, ignorant old fruitbat makes illegal u-turn in front of me on 4 lane. when i slammed on brakes, metal line popped (rusty shit!) & i went into median at about 60 to miss her.:woohoo: what a ride! now i'm building all new tubing & gonna fix rear brakes as well. sure wish Jeep had not used pre-rusted tubing when they built the Wranglers...:comfort:

How you making out with the brakeline repair? Jeep must have spent some time in the rustbelt earlier, TN isn't known to rust vehicles in my experience.. but i'm North Atlantic.

Son has a modified 94 Wrangler, and a complete Scrambler reproduction body. Next purchase is a frame to accept the longer wheelbase Scrambler to a YJ suspension and drivetrane. On hold with a divorce but we will get to it eventually.

I picked up a very clean low mileage (84K) 94 ZJ Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8 out of Florida this past winter.. wanted the V8 for pulling my camper. Been a Jeeper for decades now..

I'm a jeep-aholic too :)
2015 rubicon, 92 yj, 89 xj Cherokee
all are far from stock and the YJ is not street legal. off road only.

I've got another rubicon that I got at auction for cheeeeep that was rolled and a total write off. Drivetrain and suspension are perfect though and the jeep only had 260 miles on it when it was totalled. Got a YJ frame and body sitting out back so you know where I'm going with that project :D

armedoldhippy

Veteran
How you making out with the brakeline repair? Jeep must have spent some time in the rustbelt earlier, TN isn't known to rust vehicles in my experience.. but i'm North Atlantic.

Son has a modified 94 Wrangler, and a complete Scrambler reproduction body. Next purchase is a frame to accept the longer wheelbase Scrambler to a YJ suspension and drivetrane. On hold with a divorce but we will get to it eventually.

I picked up a very clean low mileage (84K) 94 ZJ Grand Cherokee with the 5.2L V8 out of Florida this past winter.. wanted the V8 for pulling my camper. Been a Jeeper for decades now..

successfully replaced both front lines with the nickel-copper hand-bendable tubing. stuff double flares like a dream, and nearly impossible to crimp if you pay attention. EVERYTHING rusts here, now that they started using the liquid salt on the roads; jeeps just catch the worst of it because their owners get out in the shit instead of waiting for it to melt.:woohoo:

X

xavier7995

Any of you guys watch dirt every day? My kid is obsessed with jeeps and offroading in general. He finally accepted that super cars are cool "well, as it turns out dad, they use 4wd systems in Lamborghinis. Thats cool, they dont have good ground clearance for running trails though."

Welp, thats muh jeep story. Going to start building out a Cherokee or something for him when hes 10 or so. Getting a free 4runner before long, otherwise would go get an xj as there are a crapload of used ones around my area.

budsicles

My daily driver is a carbureted 88 YJ. It has 250k miles and still going strong. I rebuilt the 4.2 at 200k and upgraded to the 4.0 head. Did the nutter bypass which removed/deleted the computer and emissions crap. Then did the ford ignition upgrade. Then recurved/tuned the distributor with different springs. Now she maintains highway speeds while going uphill, at less than 50% throttle. I average 15-17 mpg even with a carburetor, 2" shackle lift, and 31" all terrains. Tested out half a dozen different carburetors and my favorites are the motorcraft 2100/2150 and the single barrel holley 1940 economaster.

Jeeps are great if you know how to maintain them.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Just picked up this '98 XJ a couple months ago. It's got a good start: 8.5" lift, Ford 9" front, Chrystler 8.25" in the back, chromoly axels, ARB lockers, 4.56 gearing, 35" tires. Probably other stuff I'm forgetting. Like any Jeep, lots more to do to it.

picture.php

grynbit27

What are you planning to do on your jeep? I look forward to seeing your project since I've been doing an off-road build of my own.

Gone Camping

This lockdown is killing me.. I need to load the Jeep and get the hell into the woods and camp. No, I don't do campgrounds..

I have plans to leave the east coast late August, head west to Yellowstone NP. Run through both YNP and GTNP, then spend a week or more fly fishing the Gros Ventre. South to Utah visiting Wasatch Range, Canyonlands, Lake Powell and Monument Valley areas for a few more weeks, then head into Colorado for several more weeks relaxing and seeing the sights.

I'd love to visit a larger grow or two in CO, if you can arrange such please PM.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
We've been putting an LS in my neighbor's TJ. Lucky we have plenty of time for it!
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts