What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any college football fans on here?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
MS State lost coach Mike Leach to heart attack. he helped create the "Air Raid" offense you see everywhere these days in one form or another. he was successful everywhere he went. a colorful fellow, gonna be missed.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
It's actually the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl presented by Stifel, Mtn. Stifel i guess is some investment advisor company?
Fresno state is favored by 4pts over Wash st, i might have to take the cougars plus the points, sorry.

Sad that Leach passed away so suddenly. Like a lot of football coaches he wasnt in good shape, he probably should have taken care of himself better to avoid heart trouble although with bad genetics even people in good shape can die of sudden heart issues.
Talking heads are saying that his air raid is as influential in college (and even the pros to an extent) as Bill Walsh's West coast offense was back in the day. Since most offenses in college and the NFL line up in shotgun spread i feel like that certainly has some validity but im no expert. Also he was the off coordinator for Kentucky when Tim Couch became the #1 overall draft pick, knowing how his career turned out in the nfl i'd say that was a mini-miracle by itself.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'd say that was a mini-miracle
i'd agree with you. there have been several (mostly QBs) that were astounding in college but couldn't find their ass using both hands in the pros. big fish/little pond moves to little fish/big pond full of scary fast predators, lol. anyone even remember the name of the "other QB" that was near top of the draft when Peyton Manning came to the pros? no? me neither. Colts paid a (highly respected) man a MILLION dollars to grade them both out & give them his opinion on who to draft...on the condition he never told anyone else who his pick would be. :smoke:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Man, i remember there was real debate over whether ryan leaf should be taken #1 over peyton because he had the stronger arm. Chargers traded two 1st rd picks (#3 overall and their 1st rd next year) and a 2nd rd pick to move up ONE SPOT to #2 in that draft so they could take whoever the colts didnt take at #1. Oof, that move crippled the chargers for a few years but they managed to bounce back in 2002 after drafting drew brees and ladainian tomlinson in 2001.
Hindsight is 20/20 but i still believe if leaf had a better attitude and maturity he would have been successful, maybe not peyton successful but a solid QB. Dude also had a painkiller addiction after his playing days were over so might have had some substance abuse issues in the league also.
Mike Price was the coach at Washington State when leaf had his most success, he later got hired to be the head coach at alabama but got fired before coaching a game because he loved to drink and got caught with a couple strippers in his hotel room at a golf tournament he played in, supposedly they were yelling 'roll tide' and he responded 'it's rolling baby!'. Haha, why is this man my hero?
Joey harrington, jamarcus russell and josh rosen were a couple of other high 1st rd picks at QB who are straight backup material, and not even good backup material.

Last edited:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
Mtn. West Bulldogs send Washington St. Pussycats home with tail tucked….,

RED WAVE…….!
3FFED240-103A-4563-B48A-7821F34B45C1.jpeg
6307BBBD-7AF9-42F1-A21E-BA727D2723D9.jpeg
B424E72E-BF20-4F41-9550-A46363F248F6.jpeg

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Haha, never did make that bet on Wash St, I would have lost money cause they got wiped out by Fresno St. Pretty impressive run by the bulldogs, think they won their last 9 games after starting 1-4?

Saw that Frank Gore's son had that big game, he also threw a TD too? And it's like his 7th passing TD this season? Guess they run a lot of wildcat, and he throws the ball more than you would think.
Frank Gore Sr only recently retired from the NFL, it would have been cool if he could have played with his son but i guess that was always unrealistic.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
This is what happens when every 6-6 college team makes it to a bowl game. Im still waiting for the Summer's Eve Douche Bowl, with the mvp of the game being named the Douchebag player of the game.

Hatery1967

was going to go bow hunting today, but talked myself out of it early...like, when i woke up early. Florida vs LSU, Alabama versus my Vols, Utah slipping by USC, Kentucky beating MS State, Michigan beat Penn, and ...well, we won't go into Georgia thrashing poor fuckers at Vanderbilt. and after all of that, i wasted hours of my life watching an 18 inning baseball game...scoreless for 17 innings, and duller than watching cement set up if you don't appreciate great pitching and some real hustle by outfielders... some of the best tv this evening was seeing Vol Nation rip their goalposts out of the ground after storming the field and tossing pieces/parts of the uprights into the Tennessee River outside of Neyland stadium. i don't have a victory cigar to light, so i'll just burn a few bowls instead...:woohoo:

I couldn't watch that game. They say it was a total mess. I had to sit for a long time on my homework. Later, I freaked out and asked to do my homework and used https://edubirdie.com/do-my-homework to do it. If I had done it earlier I would have made it, but it came to me too late. I'll have to watch the replay now. I hate college, I can't wait to graduate.
I unfortunately missed this game.

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Michigan is favored by 7.5 over TCU, I think Michigan beats them by more than that. Georgia is favored by 6.5 over Ohio state, again I think they beat them by more than that.
If that happens then I guess UGA would be favored by 3 or 3.5 over Michigan in the championship game?

Friday Dec 30 we have the Orange Bowl, fittingly between two orange teams, Tenn vs Clemson. Clemson is favored by 5.5, what do you think about that line?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Michigan is favored by 7.5 over TCU, I think Michigan beats them by more than that. Georgia is favored by 6.5 over Ohio state, again I think they beat them by more than that.
If that happens then I guess UGA would be favored by 3 or 3.5 over Michigan in the championship game?

Friday Dec 30 we have the Orange Bowl, fittingly between two orange teams, Tenn vs Clemson. Clemson is favored by 5.5, what do you think about that line?
if Tennessee still had Hooker playing, i'd go with them in a squeaker. without him, the replacement quarterback is a wild card. "if" he doesn't continually overthrow open receivers, it could be a fun game to watch. the young man has a distinct "adrenaline surge" problem that crops up now and then, though. :oops: plus, one of the top receivers is going pro and opting out of the bowl game. i think that is a mistake, myself.:dunno: 5.5 to cover? i don't think i'd bet on that game at that spread...

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, might have to smash the moneyline on clemson then. Milton only had 150yds and 1 pass TD against vanderbilt, they won 56-0 because they rushed for 360yds and 6tds. Dont think theyll do that against clemson, and like u said, their top 2 WRs, Hyatt who won the biletnikoff award (best WR in college) and cedric tillman (i vaguely remember his dad from the nfl) are declaring for the draft. Not sure why you think it's a mistake to skip a bowl game in favor of the draft, if you didnt make the CFB playoffs and youre projected to be a high pick (1st or 2nd rd) then youre risking more (serious injury like jaylen smith did with notre dame a few years ago) than you stand to possibly gain - even an elite performance in a high profile bowl game isnt going to raise your draft stock any more than a good combine or draft workout or senior bowl performance would.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if i was good enough for a college to ask me to play there, i'd play every damn game i could. if i was worried about a career ending injury, i'd buy a big as hell insurance policy & go for it. elite players sitting out games looks pitiful. UT has a couple of other guys going pro, but THEY are going to play their last game with their teammates...i look at it as a lack of dedication.