What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any bug experts around

Mattbho

These have appeared in my pots by the hundreds . Super fast little buggars
20230423_115317.jpg

Attachments

• 20230508_221802.jpg
    20230508_221802.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Since the bug has 6 legs it's probably one of these.

Spider Beetle, Warehouse Beetle, Merchant Grain Beetle, Red Flour Beetle, and Sawtoothed Grain Beetle.

bye12

im no expert at all, But I think you need to get a microscope so you can get better pictures for any one to identify a bug.

I had confused flour beetles before I think ( not 100%idetification ) and got rid of them by using diatomaceous earth that I dusted on the soil.

Good luck, and don't panic as long as they don't attack your plants

Mattbho

I've always gone by if they move fast they are predators . These just boomed out of nowhere . I bought hypoasas miles and califoricus before but they never exploded like this. . I top dressed with wolsonite and avocado shells and now there's thousands . The worms , centipedes and plants seem unaffected .

Mattbho

Speedy Gonzales

Attachments

• 20230429_214220_copy_960x540.jpg
    20230429_214220_copy_960x540.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230403_115518_copy_540x960.jpg
    20230403_115518_copy_540x960.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 45

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If its not on the plant don't worry about it. I have never ever had a problem with a beetle. One thing to remember is beetles are attracted to the night light and they will show up for the light during the nighttime hours. I would just pick them up in a cup and put them back outside no need to kill them because they don't hurt anything. .

gmanwho

Veteran
one thing that mostly applies, mostly, if the bug is fast its a predatory feeder on other pests and not a plant sucking feeder.

one thing u can do is drown one in some rubbing alcohol so u can properly scope.

Timj

It looks like a Phytoseiulus persimilis predatory mite.
They are the good guys as others have mentioned.. I've actually purchased them for spider mite control in my greenhouse.

Latest posts

Latest posts