What's new

ANONYMOUS CELL PHONE

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know they exist in other countries like SE Asia where you pay cash and your phone works but what about in the "land of the free"? Can we buy a cell phone and get it to work anonymously?

Frank :dancer:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Dollah store. Flip phone, prepaid cards, cash, hat covering face from cameras when you buy it, and park away from the outside cams. No GPS or BT cause the phone is too cheap, so no tracing. Keep the battery out of it when you don't need to comm. They can triangulate on the signal to get your location, and turn on the speaker to hear what you are saying. You supplied the bug.

But the numbers that phone contacts are still on record. So you kind of have to have a dedicated phone for certain contacts. Otherwise the other people it contacts makes a web of tracability. I have had to buy a phone to make a single call, and toss it afterwards. Snowden showed us how deeply they are spying on us.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dollah store. Flip phone, prepaid cards, cash, hat covering face from cameras when you buy it, and park away from the outside cams. No GPS or BT cause the phone is too cheap, so no tracing. Keep the battery out of it when you don't need to comm. They can triangulate on the signal to get your location, and turn on the speaker to hear what you are saying. You supplied the bug.

But the numbers that phone contacts are still on record. So you kind of have to have a dedicated phone for certain contacts. Otherwise the other people it contacts makes a web of tracability. I have had to buy a phone to make a single call, and toss it afterwards. Snowden showed us how deeply they are spying on us.

I just callled one ( dollar general , none of the others had phones, only dollar general ) of them but they said they need ID in order to issue a phone number! How to get around that?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Buy one somewhere else. I have never had that ID issue. And buy a few cards when you do get one. Activate the phone in a different city from what you live in. I have several in a drawer, just need to be activated.

Maybe a pawn shop.

You called a dollah store? They are on every corner around here.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Buy one somewhere else. I have never had that ID issue. And buy a few cards when you do get one. Activate the phone in a different city from what you live in. I have several in a drawer, just need to be activated.

Maybe a pawn shop.

You called a dollah store? They are on every corner around here.

sell me one! When did you have this done last because when we tried to activate a phone the phone store required id

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
in canada we have prepaid. you can supply any name and account info you like when you register with the service provider. i havent had a phone in my legal name in over a decade and i like it that way. another bonus with prepaid is you never get an inflated bill for long distance charges or data overages. i pay $45 a month and never a penny more.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The problem with a prepaid like Consumer Cellular is they have your bank acct info. That is still tied to you.

Back in the big "terrorism" panic, selling cell phones was a big deal to them. They want control, tracability, identification... conformance. Next time I'm at a dollah store I will ask about the ID. Buying it for a friend...

They work nationwide.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I always bought my burner phones at Fred Meyer (Kroger on the east coast) and never had to show ID with the cash.

The store cameras are the only point that is traceable and that is pretty easy to avoid. If the authorities want you bad enough they are going through camera records in grocery stores then your problems are only just beginning and the phone is only part of it.

This is only cheap phones without a screen or any features other than talking. Internet access phones may be different, I have never owned one. Never will.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
ya in cannada you can purchase a top up at any corner store in cash. there are still plenty of ways to communicate anonymously if you give it some thought and put a little effort into it. most people favor convenience and therefore arent willing to go the extra mile for privacy.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Me too, and 'triangulated' with Tudo's other recent threads, I wanna know what he's up to.

..... on the other hand I might be better off not knowing.:bigeye:

rolandomota

Veteran
Yes just don't buy it yourself or with a card or through one person it has to be 2 or 3 people between you and the phone and one last very important thing..... always ask for a lawyer don't say a thing nothing nada zilch zero comprende? Better yet just don't do it

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I just callled one ( dollar general , none of the others had phones, only dollar general ) of them but they said they need ID in order to issue a phone number! How to get around that?

have a friend or associate that is clean and/or sympathetic buy them for you. or EVERYONE could go buy a couple & trade them, scattering numbers around randomly. is it against the law to re-sell a phone? unsure...:shucks:

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I always bought my burner phones at Fred Meyer (Kroger on the east coast) and never had to show ID with the cash.

Walmart sells fones and cards.No id required.Phone cards were as little as $25.Don't really remember if they had basic phones,but depending on how you use the phone...and for how long,it shouldn't be that big an issue.

Three Berries

The future is satellite phones through StarLink. Tesla is about to release their version. Solar powered too....

But cuts out the middle man telecoms who sniff, sell, and get rich off all your data.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'll never have a cell phone. might one be handy someday? sure. but not so handy that i'll get one. i made it through many an auto break-down etc and survived... my phone calls are pretty bland. "hey man. you gonna be home? thought i'd swing by and drink a beer with you...":tongue:

• Love
Reactions: Gry