What's new

Aluminum Foil / Mylar ?

stevr59

well all so for all you cheap ass S.O.B out there if y6ou want Reflectix just find a job site with left over ac flex pipe throw in the trash that silver stuff on it it reflectix no need to go out and buy the stuff when they thow it a way. but i still think white paint is best dont have the heat proublem as with mylar and other stuff.

K

Karma Withakay

I understood that to get the maximum effectiveness out of Mylar, it had to be "used properly". And using it properly meant keeping it FLAT and CLEAN. Let's not worry about the latter and assume that it's perfectly clean, as well as the other surfaces being compared against it. But for the former (flat), I would think that the emergency blankets would do a less-than-perfect job of reflecting the maximum... thus less effective than flat white?

Any thoughts on this?

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
cadillachydro said:
Dont forget the the dimpled "mylar like" windsheild visors for your car either. Theyre cheap and made to reflect light. Ive seen a "fence" built around a bucket grow with these, they work very good and are durable as well.

This is what I used, but after I bought the amount that I needed, it would have been less expensive to but the reflectics at Lowes,it comes in 25 foot rolls of different heights. It ran from 25 to $45. If I need to redo, I am buying that, you can staple gun it up and it will last forever.

Mylar is a total pain compared to this stuff, I will never use it again.

Last edited:

DrLongbottom

Veteran
check out a product called foylon, its reflectivity is higher than mylar or white paint , it is durable washable and reusable though a bit pricey. peace DLB

Flutch

Thats what I am using Reflextix, it also reduces noise which is great if you are building a stealth box like me :)

tngreen

Veteran
i ended up gettin the emergency blanket since i was low on cash but am think this Reflectix stuff is the way to go. i def need some more noise reduction.

ballast

cheapest mylar i found was in the party aisle at hobby lobby, 18 sq ft for just 2 bucks, comes in varous colors so the "silver" is one to get, but it is thin and hard to work with.