What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alright, time to make space cookies again. What's new?

jd4083

Veteran
Still have my old recipe that calls for 1.2g hash oil for a dozen cookies...going to up that to 2g/dozen this time around to ensure knockout power. However, back when I did this before I was making so much oil/so many cookies that I was only doing the very basic steps...no decarbing or anything like that, just tane > purge > melted and thoroughly stirred into the butter, which is then cooled and creamed with the sugar, etc...following the normal recipe at that point. Would some of you hardcore edible science types care to comment on some things I could do this time around to maximize efficiency and potency? Light bake of the flowers in the oven @ ~270-280 before making the oil? Thoughts? :tiphat:

Piel

Veteran
Interesting thought decarbing weed before making oil. Usually oil is smoked so the decarbing is done then. I´d recommend decarbing for 6 min at 180-190C, I always do it when making GD and in my experience it ups the boost.

Keep us posted man.

jd4083

Veteran
I was using some year old kinda crispy but silly frosty Blue moon (I think...no label, but it looks familiar)..and made the mistake of smoking some before making oil/cookies...so nothing fancy was done, just the standard. This time around I went with a true QWISO wherein I used a regular perm. coffee filter, lightly broke up the buds into pea-sized chunks, and then poured as little alcohol as possible over the top prior to hot water "purging" the goo. This has been the only way to get quality oil from QWISO in my experience, and it worked great this time, with an excellent yield (over 8g from the ounce, which is far higher %-wise than I normally see with anything other than Acetone and occasionally BHO). Used 2g of oil per 16 cookies and they were absolute night enders, everybody loved em.

unfortunately I don't have any left as I tend to eat one, then forget that I have eaten one, eat another, forget about that one too, and so on and so on until I am comatose, drooling, bleeding from the eyes, and completely melted into the couch

my dog got ahold of a crumb (and I mean a CRUMB, the size of a couple of fat seeds) and I didn't see her for about 8 hours... :laughing: poor girl

jd4083

Veteran
Woops...not sure how this ended up in the brewing forum...somebody mind moving it for me if need be?

Will be doing another batch just like the last but may try something fancy this time...although it just seems pointless, I can't imagine these things being any stronger...

any more thoughts/tips folks? :tiphat:

the space cake i ate in amsterdam guarateed 1 1/4 g per piece. i have a very heavy tolerance.

just a little input. i do not make medibles anymore as i tend to overdose everyone but me!

Piel

Veteran
The qwiso method sounds interesting, how do you separate the water from the iso?

jd4083

Veteran
The qwiso method sounds interesting, how do you separate the water from the iso?

man, it's super simple...I like to just use a pyrex dish that fits into my large electric skillet so that I can control the temperature more closely than I can on the stove...plus, I can take it outside so I don't have alcohol fumes filling up the house. I put it on about 200-225 with a couple inches of water and then set the dish in there, when everything is almost evaporated I cut the heat off and let it sit there until it's dried up, and then scrape immediately while it's still hot.

Piel

Veteran
So you use as little alchohol as possible and then purge with hot water? Is that right?