What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alpine: Cold, Drought resistance/tolerance

argylia

Hello,
I have read of cold tolerances of up to -8°C in some cases (northern), and other cases in which they do not support below 1°C. Apart from the selection by aromas and flavors, or by potency, colors, or chemo-types. Does anyone know/has any experience, knowledge, literature (there is little about Cannabis) about breeding towards resistance to cold and drought (as a whole), thinking in an Alpine environment, approx. above 3.000 m.a.s.l.? I have read quite a bit of literature about how alpine and alpine plants adapted to those areas (usually cold and dry), but most of it happened due to environmental causes over thousands of years. There are some patterns as the elevation increases, such as dwarfing and expansion of the radius above the ground (prostrate/cushion-plants), or the decrease in the total area and rounding of the leaves, to avoid water loss. There is also an increase in the density of trichomes, due to the increase in UV radiation. But this occurs in plants adapted thousands of years to these environments.

-Being this species so plastic:
Has anyone tried or has records of crops/breeding in alpine or high alpine areas (where there are no trees on the hills)
Or also in very cold areas outside, where temperatures are below zero degrees Celsius?

Another interesting thing is that in some of these alpine places, these adapted plants living there are (50% day-neutral and %50 photo-periods)

Thanks!

Here is an example of a characterization of those mountain environments, with photos, precipitations and temperature records (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00035-018-0202-9)

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That is very interesting friend and thanks for sharing. I've heard stories about that high-mountain weed. Different kinds of weed compared to the hot topical or low altitude plants. Different highs too.

You may be interested in the Alpine seed group. Check them out. I don't care much for their gear because it's way overpriced, but you may like them. Thanks for the post.

Last edited:

X15

With some genetics air temperature can dip below zero as long the soil temperatures are not too cold. A warm watering before night could help.
Just my experience.
I wouldn’t recommend watering the night before a freeze even with warm water. Warm water can freeze just as fast if not faster due to the molecules ability to tighten up.
A nice thick layer of straw or other ground cover would probably be more successful. Highly active microbial compost would be ideal. If your compost is too hot or you’re unsure if large amounts of compost will otherwise have a negative effect on the roots you could bury the pot in the ground and surround the pot with a good amount of compost.
Active microbes are a very effective heat source if planned out properly.

Much Love!
Much Rest!

chilliwilli

Waterboy
That is very interesting friend and thanks for sharing. I've heard stories about that high-mountain weed. Different kinds of weed compared to the hot topical or low altitude plants. Different highs too.

You may be interested in the Alpine seed group. Check them out. I don't care much for their gear because it's way overpriced, but you may like them. Thanks for the post.

Thx nice genetics but a hefty price.

browntrout

Veteran
Having grown outdoors for the last 15 years+ @45N coastal, a large majority of plants I’ve grown have seen frosts and sub zero temps just trying to get to harvest.

Some plants are more resilient and continue their flowering cycle, while others almost entirely shut down.

The most resilient strain I’ve seen from memory was A Nanda Devi? ( I have labelled as North Indian) I also had Kuomani at that time from RSC bred to a KC33 hybrid would do it’s thing regardless and didn’t seem to care about cold/frosts/ sub zero temperatures continuing flowering weeks past

I attribute its resiliency to the N. Indian side, although the KC work is known for northern outdoor capabilities, but not that I’ve experienced to this extent,

Last edited: