What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AliceD Closet Redesign & Improvement

AliceDAnon

This thread will serve as a discussion around my closet grow redesign and continual improvement.

My most pressing matter is solving ventilation, after that this will become a thread for periodical improvements.

The main priorities of my closet are stealth and efficiency.

My house is rented so trying to keep repairs to a minimum. I can't vent through the roof as mold may become a problem.

I plan on solving my ventilation by buying a twin set of doors and cutting a vent for the passive intake and a 6" vent for my exhaust. See photo below:

FullViewClosetPlan.png

What I'm trying to figure out now is how to set up the exhaust ducting and exhaust vent so that I can still open both doors daily. I'm thinking of mounting the exhaust ducting to the interior closet doorframe so that it is supported without touching the door. Not sure if this would work or how to do it. Open to suggestions here.

Current Plan with Closet Doors Open:
ClosetOpenStraightViewPlan.png

Ariel View:
ClosetArielViewPlan.png

If you read this far, I'd like to hear your feedback on my plan and any comments or suggestions that you have. Hoping to solve this before I grow again.

Gry

Hi there, I live in a rental and have a closet with french doors much the same as what you have shown.
My solution was to leave one of the two doors open and to build a frame of one by one around the open door. and to cut plywood to fit in the space of the door. I have cut a hole in the top of the plywood for an 8 inch blower and have an opening in the bottom which I put an AC filter over the bottom.
The owner of the property has seen it every year at the inspection, it is obvious at a glace that
it is temporary and could be taken down by pulling the one by one which is only held in place
by finish nails, and could be removed quickly. I lined the closet with shower curtains and plastic fencing prior to using it, and it worked out real well for me here.

AliceDAnon

Hi there, I live in a rental and have a closet with french doors much the same as what you have shown.
My solution was to leave one of the two doors open and to build a frame of one by one around the open door. and to cut plywood to fit in the space of the door. I have cut a hole in the top of the plywood for an 8 inch blower and have an opening in the bottom which I put an AC filter over the bottom.
The owner of the property has seen it every year at the inspection, it is obvious at a glace that
it is temporary and could be taken down by pulling the one by one which is only held in place
by finish nails, and could be removed quickly. I lined the closet with shower curtains and plastic fencing prior to using it, and it worked out real well for me here.
I've read you posting of your solution before. Genius stuff. I think I need something a little more stealth.

Obviously vents in a door aren't too stealth either but I can always put something over or in front of them in a last second scenario...

Gry

Not attempting to sell you on anything, but to dismantle what I have here involves pulling a handful of finish
nails that have deliberately been left with the heads not driven all the way in, so they are easy to pull.
The one by one frame is made of four pieces of one by one, each held in place with two finish nails.
The two pieces of plywood each has four finish nails holding them in place.
To remove the plywood involves pulling 8 finish nails, the four pieces of one by that make up the frame are
held in place by 2 nails in each piece, for 8 more finish nails.
So to remove the whole thing involves pulling 16 nails and the two pieces of plywood, and none by frame,
fit in the closet.
It would take about 10 minutes to do.
I canthen close the door and have it appear the way it did the day I moved in.
Can't help but agree with you in terms of it being an ingenious approach, it's a combination of suggestions given to me by several members shortly after I had originally signed on here.
It sounds more convoluted than it actually is.
It was fast and easy for me to put up, and it can be pulled down and undone quickly if needs be.
Was given very fine advice when I asked for assistance how to set this up, and feel obligated to deliver a fair exchange when I can.
I wish you the best with finding a solution which works out well for you and your situation.

Last edited:

AliceDAnon

Not attempting to sell you on anything, but to dismantle what I have here involves pulling a handful of finish
nails that have deliberately been left with the heads not driven all the way in, so they are easy to pull.
The one by one frame is made of four pieces of one by one, each held in place with two finish nails.
The two pieces of plywood each has four finish nails holding them in place.
To remove the plywood involves pulling 8 finish nails, the four pieces of one by that make up the frame are
held in place by 2 nails in each piece, for 8 more finish nails.
So to remove the whole thing involves pulling 16 nails and the two pieces of plywood, and none by frame,
fit in the closet.
It would take about 10 minutes to do.
I canthen close the door and have it appear the way it did the day I moved in.
Can't help but agree with you in terms of it being an ingenious approach, it's a combination of suggestions given to me by several members shortly after I had originally signed on here.
It sounds more convoluted than it actually is.
It was fast and easy for me to put up, and it can be pulled down and undone quickly if needs be.
Was given very fine advice when I asked for assistance how to set this up, and feel obligated to deliver a fair exchange when I can.
I wish you the best with finding a solution which works out well for you and your situation.
I think you're right, it sounds more complicated than it is. Maybe I'm envisioning it wrong... Can you post a picture here? (absolutely no rush)

Whatever solution I decide, I need to be able to open both doors. This is due to the dimensions of my tent and closet.

Gry

Was unaware of that constraint. With that as a requirement, it may be that the simplest
approach would be to pull the existing door, and set it aside carefully so that it can be reinstalled
when you are done. Then obtain a replacement door and cut your openings for the blower up top,
and vent filter below prior to hanging it.

AliceDAnon

Was unaware of that constraint. With that as a requirement, it may be that the simplest
approach would be to pull the existing door, and set it aside carefully so that it can be reinstalled
when you are done. Then obtain a replacement door and cut your openings for the blower up top,
and vent filter below prior to hanging it.
Yeah that's basically my current method. Obtain two replacement doors put a intake vent in the bottom of one and a exhaust vent in the top corner of the other. Need to find a way to rig the exhaust duct to where I can still open that door though. Hence my diagrams.

Gry

Would guess flex duct would be the route to allow for movement. Would be inclined to switch back to hard ducting ASAP for enhanced flow. Best of wishes for positive results with many fine harvests.

AliceDAnon

Looking to mount 6" Duct to the door frame. What is the best way to mount a 6" duct?

I'm envisioning something like this which I posted above:

1665447599060.png

Not sure if there is a better option though.

Gry

I had my blower attached to the one by one frame with screws. Once the hole was cut in the plywood, the backend of the blower housing stuck out well, I attached flex duct onto it using foil backed duct tape.
The only bracket I needed was the one to attach the blower to the frame.
Looked much like the one you have pictured in the post above this one.

Last edited:

ridoo

maybe I get it wrong but I'll give my 2 cents anyway... maybe you can remove the doors, for keep them clean, then close carefully that closet space with a large and thick tarp, put some hanging bar on closet ceiling, and attach your vent tools on those bars
it works only if it is easy to remove and put the doors back
then on the tarp you can make all the holes you need with no hassles, even close them back if you make them another place and so on...
and put the doors back in place if someone is coming, i guess they inform you before coming in your place

AliceDAnon

maybe I get it wrong but I'll give my 2 cents anyway... maybe you can remove the doors, for keep them clean, then close carefully that closet space with a large and thick tarp, put some hanging bar on closet ceiling, and attach your vent tools on those bars
it works only if it is easy to remove and put the doors back
then on the tarp you can make all the holes you need with no hassles, even close them back if you make them another place and so on...
and put the doors back in place if someone is coming, i guess they inform you before coming in your place
I guess I could do this. It just means I'd have to replace the doors every time someone is coming. Where if I put vents in new doors I would probably just put the original doors on if the landlord came.

It is a good idea and one I will consider. Definitely easier and cheaper.

AliceDAnon

Do you actually need to close the doors daily? Why not just leave them open or remove and replace when your place is inspected?
I don't really NEED to close them. I wanted the option for stealth reasons. And to maintain a good environment, I'd probably need to leave them mostly open or mostly closed.

I just need to be as stealthy as possible and don't really want any visitors, not just landlord, to discover. What are your thoughts?