What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alerts?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
How do alerts work? I used to get alerted to threads that I took part in or subscribed to.
These days it is random. I am finding out I am missing a heap of updates because I always just check the alerts.

StevenHXF

Administrator

Chi13

ICMag Donor

I just did this (blocked your emails) because despite unchecking all the boxes my email was still getting inundated with notifications that I never had previously? No idea why this suddenly started but I can't be wading through 20 notifications from icmag every time I open an email.
If you can suggest another option I'd be greatful.

StevenHXF

Administrator
I just did this (blocked your emails) because despite unchecking all the boxes my email was still getting inundated with notifications that I never had previously? No idea why this suddenly started but I can't be wading through 20 notifications from icmag every time I open an email.
If you can suggest another option I'd be greatful.
That's helpful. (y)

You're getting notification emails because you're subscribed to threads and now email is working you're getting email notifiations. 🤷‍♂️

You can change your notification settings here: https://www.icmag.com/account/preferences

You can also see what you're watching or subscribed to here: https://www.icmag.com/watched/threads

Changing settings in your profile will only stop notifications being sent for threads you watch going forward. To stop notifications for threads you're already watching you will need to unwatch.

I understand your frustration at seemingly being bombarded with email notifications but we can't win, people complain they're not getting email notifications, fair enough they've not been working for a while so people are subbed to threads via email they were not aware of, but then people complain when they start getting email notifications.

The system is finally working as it should. Feel free to block whatever you want or unwatch the threads your watching. 🤷‍♂️

Three Berries

I have some email blocking rules for specific spellings related to ICmag. But it just deletes the email doesn't mark as spam or bounce it.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
That's helpful. (y)

You're getting notification emails because you're subscribed to threads and now email is working you're getting email notifiations. 🤷‍♂️

You can change your notification settings here: https://www.icmag.com/account/preferences

You can also see what you're watching or subscribed to here: https://www.icmag.com/watched/threads

Changing settings in your profile will only stop notifications being sent for threads you watch going forward. To stop notifications for threads you're already watching you will need to unwatch.

I understand your frustration at seemingly being bombarded with email notifications but we can't win, people complain they're not getting email notifications, fair enough they've not been working for a while so people are subbed to threads via email they were not aware of, but then people complain when they start getting email notifications.

The system is finally working as it should. Feel free to block whatever you want or unwatch the threads your watching. 🤷‍♂️
Before the site upgrades I was alerted to every thread I followed, and never received an email.

Now when I come to the site, I am alerted to some (random) threads that I follow, but others no alert? Nothing consistent. This changes daily. Sometimes I go to threads I am interested in and find I've had no alerts despite lots happening in that particular thread.

Suddenly, I also started to receive email alerts. I went and checked that all the boxes to receive such alerts were unchecked. I made sure of this and deleted the emails, but it then occurred again, and I ended up blocking emails. They remain blocked.

Are you sure the system is working as it should? All I want is to come here and get alerts to threads I am following, but no emails. This doesn't seem to be happening. No big deal really, just a slight annoyance.

StevenHXF

Administrator
Yes the alert system is working as it should. To be able to understand what’s going on with your account I would need you to send over a full list of the stuff that you’re watching and to post test replies in those threads to see if the notification icon is lighting up in the header as it should be.

The email stuff is a separate issue and will require you to change your account options to receive no email and then unwatch and then watch the stuff you’re interested in.

Investigating this is likely to take a number of hours so I will have to set aside some time, I’m almost certain your still watching threads that you need to unwatch and then rewatch now that you’ve updated the options in your profile.

Did you go through to the watched threads link I sent in my last message and unwatch everything?

StevenHXF

Administrator
This is going to take some work on your behalf I'm afraid.

You both need to go to this URL:

watched-listing.jpg

Once you've done that go into a thread and click the unwatch button at the top

unwatch thread.jpg

Once you've done that click watch

watch-thread.jpg

Select the options you want
watch-options.jpg

Click watch

This will reset your watching preferences for the individual threads you want to watch. If you're currently not getting watch alerts for the threads you were previously watching the chances are it's tied to the migration and the correct watch options are no longer being respected. This will clear any issue and start again.

I know it's a pain in the backside but there's nothing I can do to automate this for you.

Thousands of individual alerts are being generated correctly every day, it's not going to be possible to disagnose why watches you have set aren't being delivered when 99.9999% of them are. This will give the system a kick if you will and should make sure you're getting alerts for the threads you're interested in.

Last edited:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
StevenHFX, thanks for the detailed instruction.

I found 11 pages of watched threads but many of them were not actually watched when I went into them. Others took ages and several tries to unwatch so in the end I found option to unwatch all threads which Ive done and will start again.

It was a cleansing experience.

StevenHXF

Administrator
I was going to suggest doing that. Sometimes a good cleanse is good for the mind. 😂

Happy watching. 👍