What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alaskan Court: No search warrants for less than 4 ounces of marijuana

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Friday Aug 27, 2004

Court: No search warrants for less than 4 ounces of marijuana

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- The Alaska Court of Appeals ruled Friday that police cannot execute a search warrant in a person's home for possession of less than 4 ounces of marijuana.

Attorney General Gregg Renkes says he will appeal the ruling to the state Supreme Court and that he is "fearful that this will shut down effective investigation of marijuana growing cases."

The Appeals Court ruled in the case of Leo Richardson Crocker Jr., who was charged with controlled substance misconduct after police, acting on a tip, searched his Anchor Point home and found marijuana and growing equipment.

A lower court ruled the search warrant that led to the arrest should have never been issued and suppressed the evidence against Crocker. The Appeals Court agreed.

The opinion is the latest decision that has carved out protections for possessing marijuana in an Alaska home. The state Supreme Court in 1975 ruled that an adult's rights to limited marijuana possession was protected under the state constitution's privacy provisions. Last year, the Appeals Court defined that limit as 4 ounces.

The Appeals Court also struck down a 1990 voter initiative that criminalized possession of any amount of marijuana.

To execute a search warrant, police must have reason to believe the amount of marijuana exceeds 4 ounces or is being used in connection with a crime, the Appeals Court said Friday.

Renkes said the ruling hamstrings police efforts to break up marijuana growers.

"It will be rare that there will be someone who can provide eyewitness information to the amount of marijuana in a growing operation," Renkes said. "At this point the only way to get a search warrant is for someone to testify to the size of the crop."

Renkes said he plans to ask the U.S. Attorney's Office to be more aggressive in busting marijuana growers, as the court's ruling does not affect federal cases.

State prosecutors argued that the earlier decisions did not legalize marijuana possession in the home. Rather, the decisions created a defense that people can use when they are charged with possession. Marijuana possession is a criminal offense and a warrant can be issued if there is probable cause to believe there is any marijuana in the home, prosecutors argued.

The court dismissed that argument, saying the earlier decisions defined a constitutional limitation to the government's ability to prohibit marijuana possession.

G

Nice post, let's hope they don't overturn it. Got friends out in Alaska and they just love it there. Best fishing in the world, from what i'm tolded.
Good luck Alaskans

myrth

i should never have left...

i should never have left...

*sigh*

alaska is one of the most beautiful states i'd ever lived in...honestly. sure the winter is a little harsh...but for most of it chicago was colder! *laugh*

-myrth

fAtbLuNtS

Anchorage, AK

Anchorage, AK

great place to live...besides moose every now and then...i've lived there for 4 yrs, winter is a lil cold but summer is great there...long days of sun in summer and fishing is great...king salmon!

Last edited: