What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alaska marijuana court victory

pico

Veteran
Mustard- Well here I am offering you a cookie. All you have to do is come over here and get it. Your parent is saying you can't have a cookie in your room, but if you come to the kitchen you can have a cookie. Alaska is the kitchen. Get up here.

Complain? They are slowly taking away our rights....We all should be up in arms.

I am not saying it is totally horrible. It is still great that we are able to have cannabis in our home without worrying about going to jail. I am just saying that this ruling is not 'landmark' nor a good thing. This is a step backwards, that is my point. Another step backwards and we will be in the same boat as you. All it is going to take is another little step. For instance they area appealing the decision right now and going to a higher court. So cannabis might very well be illegal soon in AK.

Once again. It is great that we have lenient cannabis laws. I just am seeing things change for the worse.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm waiting to see if the kitchen cools down before I consider moving. That's a pretty expensive trip and it'll cost more once I get there... I want to see it worth my while. I have no doubt it's everything I want it to be in terms of solitude and wilderness... I just wonder if it's the new front for conservative drug policy. I also question how fast it will fill up too.

Hitman

Ya Baby! I love you Alaska! Keep it cold I'll be there as soon as I can. I'll be older but I'll be fine as long as I can keep the K's cookin indoors in my own muthafukkin Home!

G

Hitman said:
Ya Baby! I love you Alaska! Keep it cold I'll be there as soon as I can. I'll be older but I'll be fine as long as I can keep the K's cookin indoors in my own muthafukkin Home!

Amen brother!!

I'm stuck in Colorado for another year or so....but I'll be back in AK before long.

I own property on Kodiak island and on the kenai pen....and fishing jobs as soon I say yay! (thats what I've always done when living in AK).

I dont care what they do w/ the laws ...I'm gonna do whatever I want ...like I have done all my life anyway. (I have never been friends w/ the government...and I'm not gonna start a friendship now)...legal weed or not.

-yukon

G

Accurizing Alaska History

Accurizing Alaska History

pico,

I agree whole-heartedly with your analysis of how we've lost our rights, not only in Alaska, but in the U.S. as an entire country.

The government would like us to feel beholding for something that we were supposedly born with; our birthrights of freedom, which, in reality, they have rarely done anything other than to restrict and chip away at on a regular basis, almost always in the name of either (faux) "freedom," "public welfare," or "the childrens' futures." (You can rattle 'em off with a good rhythm after a while...) ;^>)

It runs counter to that whole schematic called 'liberty,' defined by the non-Puritan Founders, of which there were many.

But the loss of protection for possession of cannabis as a matter of Privacy under Article I, Section XXII of the Alaska State Constitution is far more severe in scope and history than merely dropping from 4 oz. to 1 oz.

Neither the May 1975 Ravin Decision, or the legislative decriminalization that occurred roughly 10 days before then-Chief Justice Rabinowitz's ruling in Ravin, had -any- aggregate weight restrictions, plant-count limits, or separate scheduling for resin/hashish. And before March of 1983, a person could have up to an oz. on their person in public, providing that it wasn't publicly used or displayed (we blew that one pretty badly, frankly... no pun intended...)

The 4 oz. restriction, the criminalizing of -all- public possession, and the 25 plant limit (technically 24, if I'm correct, as 25= BINGO!) all came into effect in March of 1983 in a compromise that was clarified in HB 180 and SB 190. It has since been referred to as the Codification of Ravin; something that the legislature had the authority to do under Rabinowitz's ruling, but which had been avoided or delayed since 1975.

Then-Representative Ramona Barnes and Senator Ed Dankworth (a former commissioner of public safety) had tried for years to assault Ravin head-on, just as Murky just finally completed doing. Those two bills were an alternative to Barnes' and Dankworth's more extreme fascism, and called for an adoption of the 1970 Federal Controlled Substances Act, with the exception of creating a new schedule for cannabis and cannabis products.

I could go into specific cases that occurred before that date wherein the courts had ruled to return substantial amounts of weed to their rightful owners, and many other facts re. the actual loss of -real- freedom in the sub-arctic back then, but it would eat up a -whole- lot more space than I've already used. Suffice it say that there was once a time in Alaska that 50 lbs. in a greenhouse in the front yard didn't get so much as a knock on the door, even in the red-neck Interior of this State. Those days are long gone now.

And suffice it to say that the agreements that we had with our delegates in this State from those 1982 and 1983 hearings have gone the way that most government promises go as well.

This fights not over with yet. There will, almost guaranteed, be full-scale evidentiary hearings at the State Supreme Court on this matter, and you can bet that both sides are gonna' rock 'n' roll hard on this one.

The problem with a civil suit, however, is that the proverbial playing field is wide open for arguments that would never occur in a criminal court; everything from social learning theory to community standards will likely hit the carpet, as well as all of the more common scientific arguments and quasi-scientific drivel, including the new supposed 'link' to psychosis.

Re. any assertions that cops are/were visiting out-door greenhouses in Alaska, and departing the scene without repercussion, it -may- have happened under specific and limited circumstances in the Mat-Su. Hell, anything's possible! But rest assured that in the Interior, and any parts of South Central that I'm personally aware of, where I know many, many persons, and for a long time now, having been here for about three decades, out-door grows are and were being busted. That's a fact.

They are enforcing Ravin to the letter, and that means 'in the home.' I wouldn't wager my freedom on an anecdotal circumstance from one incident in the Mat-Su; no sir. A friend once saw a New York State cop smoking a joint while directing traffic at the Watkins Glen show when the Band, the Grateful Dead, and the Allman Bros. played that day, but I'm damned sure not thinking that it'll be o.k. to spark up in front of a N.Y state boy today... I've never had 'self-destruct' tattooed on my forehead.... Well, maybe briefly at age 14, 15, or 16... ;^>)

A final thought on Ramona Barnes. Then-Governor Jay Hammond was quoted by a friend of mine, who's an older gent, and a former legislator from that period of time, as saying in reference to Barnes, during a full legislative hearing of some sort, "Never trust a woman who has her hair done by a welder." There were -lots- of reasons to dislike Ramona. Her prohibitionist and anti-privacy b.s. was just part of her unlikability. ;^>)

Regards,

moose eater :wave:

G

moose eater

great post! btw

the bottom line in Alaska..and u know this.

cops arent bored...and goin after ganja peeps is a stupid waste of time.

anywhere on the kenai pen....cops wont give 1 shit about it.

mat-su valley... generally not a care in the world....unless your a dealer.

kodiak...dont even think about it unless your rural and have a secret indoor spot.

the interior ...i dont know.....i'm sure u can be secret....but yeah there are hillbillies (so be a "leave me the fuck alone alaska hillbillie" and you'll be alright).... and dont sell or tell.

I may just decide in the next several months to go "squat" on an island in "Prince william sound"...all by myelf...and my dog...and just say fuk it for a while.

G

Hi Yukon,

Hi Yukon,

Social climate does change through those areas, but the Troopers are takin' their orders straight out of Juneau on this issue, as are many of the local P.D.s

They don't like being told what to do. And in their eyes, when 'we' drew the line, and stood up to be counted in re. to violation of state constitution, they see it as us not cooperating with their set of priorities or perception of reality, and their authority (that which they dream that they possess) being dilluted by ne're-do-wells.

After false recrim in 1990, there was a former contractor, turned State Trooper out of Homer (Homer; voted most enlightened community in Alaska by Utne Reader in the later 90s). He won an award for window peeping, looking for cannabis plants, even in small numbers, and busting their owners. Homer; where, in 1978, when I moved there, eating processed cheese was considered almost as great an act of sin as pissing on a church pew in Soldotna or Glenallen, Alaska's two original tweaky bible belts.

Talkeetna and Trapper Creek areas stood by us in -both- the 2000 and the 2004 legalization initiaitives, (Prop 5 and Prop 2) and voted in the 70th percentile in favor of -all out- legalization, including for licensed and regulated commercial sales... the whole shebang. I won't give their names, (and those from that area will know exactly who I'm talking about), but there's a well known male Trooper and a well-known, rather trigger-happy female Trooper in -that- area who will take you down for an outdoor grow, or even public possession of a joint, in a heart-beat. No guilt. No remorse.

A friend of mine, who was one of the first persons to acquire a medical letter of recommendation here, living in an area way outside of Anchorage, before the state required their registration card that was later forced upon us by then-Senator (now Lt. Gov.) Leman in his gutting of our original medical initiative, a registration, btw, that leaves -all- registrants particulars open to -any- LEO, including the feds, was in Anchorage. This was roughly 5-6 years after the Ketchikan Superior Court ruling by Judge Michael Thompson re. the Klawock case that was the first dismissal of possession charges based on Ravin by a judge after the bogus and unconstitutional 1990 recrim. vote.

He called me on the telephone about midnite, on my anniversary (he didn't know that at the time) here in the Interior, to inform me that he was in his hotel room in Los Anchorage with all of -five roaches- and a medical letter by his side, and was rousted by -five- APD folks (that's right- one per roach) at about 11:30 P.M., who proceded to give him a lecture straight out of some bullshit DARE class, and seized his medical letter from his Doc as well as those dangerous roaches...

Outdoor grows of -any- size in the Interior have been getting busted for a long time now (two in the Fairbanks paper that come immediately to mind, from the last ten months that I know of personally), and the newest Chief of Police was even gung ho about calling in the feds for -small- amounts in possession in the home, well before this 1 oz. restriction, when someone would refuse to cough up their stash -in their friggin' home-!!! (That is, up until it was rather brusquely pointed out to him by 'someone very close to me' that he was not only violating Fairbanks City Charter, but the State Constitution as well, and that (despite his repeated mantra about 'federal law superceding state law'), State court was exactly where he was headed if he continued his bullshit; matters of a state constitutional nature are reserved for state courts as a rule. Furthermore, or conversely speaking, federal law typically only supercedes in federal court, or in state court in cases not involving state constitutional interpretation or principles (thank Buddha that there's a tiny bit of that 10th Amendment still on life support!)

Remember, this State voted very near the 70th percentile for Shrubco, as well. They're sometimes a bit confused about what they really do, and don't, actually believe in... ;^>)

After Ravin was reaffirmed in the Noy case, several major areas in this State had statements from their police chiefs, and from the Troopers as well, saying that they would continue confiscating weed in the homes of adults, regardless of Ravin being reaffirmed, and that they would forward names of the 'possessors' to the feds.

Those Chiefs of Police were, not in any particular ranking of obnoxiousness, Monaghan from Anchorage, then-Director of Public Safety Paul Harris, of Fairbanks (terminated/resigned after a sexual harassment suit by his dispatcher, whom he was porking, despite both of them being married), and then-Police Chief Joe Michaud of Valdez (whose sordid personal past I won't go into here), among many others. And their press releases and 'rules of engagement' came straight from the AG's and Public Safety Commissioner's offices, pretty much verbatim (Lord knows that they can't write speeches like that themselves!! They're practically functionally illiterate!! ;^>) ).

I wrote opinion pieces about all three of those named above, and their willingness to violate 'the law' as an example of the corruption caused by the WOSD. (We can't even trust the cops to obey the law anymore!! What's this world comin' to??! ;^>) )

So, in short, will most cops in Alaska still hang around outside your bedroom window sniffing for the smell of that evil, wicked, mean, and nasty ganja, like that asshole from Homer and the othes from Talkeetna used to do in the recent past?? No. Will they bust you if presented an opportunity?? You can bet your 200 hours of community service, your $100.00 fine, and the new and improved misdemeanors and felonies that Frankie forced upon us that they will...... in a heart-beat!!

The rules of survival here are the same as nearly anywhere; 1.) Don't flaunt the weed, 2.) Don't fly your freak flag unless you want heat and get off on the rush or attention, 3.) Never assume that Officer Friendly is actually your -friend-, no matter how convincing he or she is!! and, finally, 4.) If worse comes to worst, take a tip from those in the military's Criminal Investigation Division (CID), who used to say, quite proudly, I might add, "When confronted with an allegation of criminal activity, admit nothing, deny everything, and demand an attorney..."

Regards,

Last edited:

mars2112

always hopeful yet discontent
Veteran
Alaska: AG Requests Supreme Court To Rule On Pot Recriminalization Measure

August 3, 2006 - Juneau, AK, USA

Juneau, AK: The state Attorney General's office filed notice last week with the Alaska Supreme Court seeking to overturn a recent Superior Court ruling that found the legislature's effort to criminalize small amounts of cannabis to be unconstitutional.

In July, an Alaska Superior Court judge struck down provisions of a new state law that sought to redefine minor marijuana possession as a criminal offense punishable by jail time.

The Alaska ACLU filed suit to block enforcement of the law, arguing that it violated the privacy clause of the state constitution, which provides that "the right of the people to privacy is recognized and shall not be infringed." In a 1975 Alaska state Supreme Court ruling (Ravin v State), justices determined that this constitutional provision encompassed the possession and use of small amounts of cannabis in the home.

Superior Court judge Patricia Collins ruled last month that the Alaska legislature lacks the authority to override the Supreme Court's 1975 decision, finding that the Ravin decision "is the law until and unless the Supreme Court takes contrary action."

Collin's ruling struck down sections of the new law criminalizing the possession of one ounce or less of cannabis, but left in place measures prohibiting the possession of greater amounts.

Governor Frank Murkowksi (R), who strongly advocated for the new law, has argued that Ravin should no longer apply in Alaska because cannabis may pose greater health and safety risks today than it did in 1975.

For more information, please contact Keith Stroup, NORML Legal Counsel, at (202) 483-5500 or download the July 12th edition of the NORML Audiostash at: http://normlaudiostash.com/id120.htm

DL: http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=6963

G

They had to wait six years +/- for a completion of the appeal re. the 'same-sex benefits' case. In speaking with 'various parties,' this one could take 1-3 years, easy, if given normal processing..

If Murkowski stays in office, which will require more ballot shenanigans than they've already potentially been implicated in, then Marquez would still be at the helm in the AG's office.

But if Murky is voted out of office (as the SOB so desperately deserves, and an outcome that might confirm for me whether or not there's a God, I might add) it would leave new players in the AG's and Governor's offices who might or might not see this issue as the priority that the ultra-offensive Frank Murkowski sees it as.

Frankie has hated hippies for a long time now. He was a fairly heavy drinker not too many years back, as well. A good old fashioned, pro-oil-corporation, red-neck asshole. He's seems to still think that it's primarily hippies who smoke reefer!!

Back before he bankrupted Bank of the North in Fairbanks, where he'd been president of the bank, and was initially found culpable in lower federal court, before becoming a U.S. Senator, during the S&L scandals, he refused a loan to a local miner who had plenty of collateral. After refusing the fellow, Frank turned to him and offered this tip, "Next time you ask me for money, lose that earring." That should tell you all that you need to know about ol' Frankie. There's more stories of ol' Frankie; some about folks who did time for conspiracy to import contraband from Asia, and who Frank's bank gave large loans to. One of those businesses still sports a bust of Frank in what has been called 'The Senator's Saloon' for many years now... ;^>) )

AG Marquez might ask the court to expedite this appeal, but he can ask to see cheese from the moon too; it doesn't mean it'll happen.

But if it goes to the proverbial mat, this will be an evidentiary trial on the pros and cons of cannabis, the likes of which has never been seen before in the U.S.. So, as previously stated elsewhere, win, lose, or draw, ONDCP better be ready to have their uber-bullshit examined with tweezers and a micro-scope!! And I'll buy a ticket to watch -that- show.. any time!!

Most already know that ONDCP's 'propaganda' has serious flaws in it,, but they've been sheltered thus far, ironically by the GAO, in Ron Paul's 2003 inquiry (at the request of Rob Kampia of MPP fame).

No sheltering this time, Mr. John Walters!! Fess up!! You're a stone-cold teller of fibs and fables!!! And your and Frank's intolerance will ironically be what brings about the trial that'll prove it. :bat: Is that Zen, or what??

"Win, Lose, or Draw"

Regards,

Last edited:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
yukon said:
Amen brother!!

I'm stuck in Colorado for another year or so....but I'll be back in AK before long.

I own property on Kodiak island and on the kenai pen....and fishing jobs as soon I say yay! (thats what I've always done when living in AK)....
-yukon

Isnt that close to where that Timmy Treadwell and his g/f got gobbled up by the bears?

G

Verite said:
Isnt that close to where that Timmy Treadwell and his g/f got gobbled up by the bears?

OMG...dont even mention that chumps name in alaska (treadwell)...youll get run out of the state faster then u came in.

dude is a fool ....and everyone knows it.

"im here to protect the bears...I'm here to protect the bears"...u fukin fool...u got killed and u got your GF killed...and now they had to destroy bears because you were a fukin fool. (duh ...treadwell u dont fukin belong among the bears u fukin fool)...ok thats all on that.

as to the question about relative closeness...well yeah its close (but not on kodiak or kenai where i am from) ...but they dont tell u where he/she was....but I and other alaskans know where. (its supposed to be a secret)

i dont care if u peeps know so ill tell ya...

they are katmai grizzlies...close to "brooks camp" (not exactly sure how close)....but on the AK peninsula.

those bears are part coastal and part interior grizz.

the interior grizz is the one to watch out for...because everything is prey... even human

coastal grizz are pretty content on salmon and berries...and dont need to hunt for food. (generally)

piss any of them off and your done tho...and treadwell was a fool again. especially to bring his new girl up there...her smell probably pissed them off the most and may have led to death ...ya dig?

G

The technical definition and difference between an Alaskan Brown bear and an Alaskan Grizzly is that a Brownie lives South of the Alaska Range, and a grizzly lives North of the Alaska Range.

I hunt every year for moose in the midst of some pretty active Interior grizzly country. A record sized bear was shot by my friend within 30 yards of my moose tree last year or so. I've watched beautiful silver tip twins, three-year olds, from 50-100 yards; their eye-sight sucks like a dog's does, but they can hear the hair moving on your collar at that range in the still or near-still air, and they can smell you a long way off if you're up-wind from them..

Once population density was accounted for, and lethality/predation was re-figured, the fact is that Black bears, especially Interior Black bears, account for more human predation than the grizzly. There's two kinds of bear attacks in Browns/Grizzlies and Blacks; food and fear/protection. The fear/protection-oriented killing by a bear isn't considered predation. It's reaction, and lacks any actual stalking behaviors.

I used to bait black bears to shoot for canning 20 years ago; the average grizzly that I encountered wouldn't typically touch my bait station. And bears of both species are typically more afraid of people than people are of them. Unless they're startled into clumsiness, they walk as quiet as air moves over glass.

Brownies and grizzlies are the -same- species; food sources, regional genetics, and climate make up for the differences in size, etc. only the polar bear is identified as a predator that'll kill just to kill. And one apparently mated with a grizzly in the wilds in N.W. Canada recently, a first in terms of natural occurence (it'd happened in captivity before, so they knew it was possible), and likely brought about by the melting pack ice due to global climate change that has the polar bears moving further south lately. One was even photographed on the Haul Road to Prudhoe Bay last Winter, in the Northern interior, up near Attigan pass..

Treadwell was, in great part, what I'd call an enviro-hustler. A well-meaning and good-natured con artist. He found urban liberal folks with sizable checkbooks who would pay him for his lore, and fund his rather creative adventures. And he found a way to carve out some less-than-perfect or less-than realistic (temporary) peace for himself.

Much of what he wrote about he'd stolen from others' work, and that's been documented.

He made the mistake of personifying bears, assuming that their behavior was predictable and static. And it's not necessarily so. A passive bear that is skiddish and accustomed to hiding quietly in the presence of people, that you don't even know you've passed on the trail, can be a completely different bear during a bad year for food, a change in its age and hunting ability, socialization, etc.

Treadwell fucked around with his own fantasy of what a bear is, and got his girtlfriend and himself killed.

Any fellow who would camp in the midst of feeding bears, crawling on his hands and knees amongst them, naming them like they're family pets, and not even carry a fucking gun, needs a serious psych eval (or some really premium life insurance with my name as the beneficiary...)

Regards,

G

hey "moose eater"..I moose and bear hunt too (rifle) and I hunt Mtn. goat (archery).

my black bear bait is crushed dogfood and bacon grease....pretty common...whats yours (just curious)

I bear hunt right outside seward.

I have scars from a blackie we thought was down and dead...he jumped up and freaked out and now I have a 6 inch long claw scar (3 deep and 1 shallow) on my upper right back shoulder, and one on my lower left ribcage that is half the length but twice as deep. ....that was his only attack attempt and he fell dead....he was a brown phase blackie and just over 350#. (im a bit more careful aproaching my downed bears since)

but havent got to bear hunt in the last few years as Im stuck in colorado for now....but moving back ASAP.

OH I'd really like ta hear more stories about Murky since I dont hear much about him down here.

G

Hi Yukon,

I haven't hunted bear (intentionally) since July of 1987. On purpose. As a matter of personal commitment now, and general disposition back then.

As a poor and impoverished would-be hippie, I didn't mind spending three days in front of two pressure canners, de-boning meat, and jarring (I hesitate to eat fresh bear due to the overwhelming presence of parasites though I've had some very fine sausage made from fresh bear; the last one I killed in 7/87 had three different parasites that were visible, including what looked to be a Guinness Book record-sized tape worm, round worms, and a completely unknown varmint in the spinal column that resembled short round worms, and had carved out caverns around the bone of the spine, in the meat itself.

The parasitologists at F&G were supposed to identify it, but the samples I'd provided them were insufficient in quantity. (Oh well, another missed opportunity for fame and fortune)

I've had plenty of opportunity to kill bear since, and have hesitated, and over time, simply decided that it's not my bag. Let 'em be, and hope that they reciprocate, though I don't bank on any pretense of mutual respect -at all-.

I previously, 20 years prior and beyond, used accumulated five-gallon buckets of grease, scraps of meat and veggies from restaurants, etc. The Blackies don't care for green peppers and tomatoes, btw. Either acids or relationship to the 'night-shades' family apparently turns 'em off, but then there was plenty of stuff to afford them being 'picky.' They would typically toss peppers and 'maters aside, like kids picking through a meal they don't like.

The last Black bear that I shot was a 350 lb. 11-yr.old male who knew the jig was up when it was up. The cry that a wounded bear puts out, their clear physiological resemblance to humans (their digestive system is almost identical to a pigs, which is the closest thing to a human digestive system in the 'animal genre'), and their humorous antics, as well as the work involved in canning six cases of pint-sized jars, cooking the meat twice <once loose and once in jars>, tells me that moose is the ticket; 'boreal cattle' <moose> and locally-grown angus, along with salmon and halibut is what mostly occupies my family's freezers. We rarely buy -any- meat at the grocery store at all, other than for a very small amount of pork and chicken.)

A good bullet's (of proper calibre for large game) between .85 cents and $1.75, depending on what your shooting, and providing that you haven't reloaded your own. Never approach a downed animal without delivering one squarely to the head for good measure, whether there's signs of life or not. When it (the critter) feels that it has nothin' to lose, you most definitely -do-. My life's worth more than $1.75, at least to me and my family, though some others might argue.

And never follow either a wounded or stalking bear into tight thickets or tall grass unless there's no other way, and then be locked and loaded, if you do have to. A large bear can out-run a quarter horse in a quarter mile, and I damned sure can't move that fast.

I've spoken first-hand with persons who worked at Murky's bank before it went 'under,' (and were in serious position to know of what they spoke) and there were 'issues' there that never came up in the follow-up investigations or ensuing court hearings that involved the loss of over 300 million dollars of the Bering Straits Native Corporation's money at the end of his S&L implosion.

Rasmussen's $$ helped to get him out of town to D.C., backing his campaign for U.S. Senate. A typical example of the non-researching, gullibility and ignorance of the average voter; the guy bankrupts a bank, is up to his eye-balls in questionable behavior (with -other peoples' jing-!!), scuttles several hundred million dollars that belong to a native corp, escapes, like Kenny Lay, with his own nest egg in-tact, and the pablum-digesting general populace buys his bullshit ads and sends him to D.C. where he can -really- fuck things up. Sheesh!!

Murky was featured on the front page of the Fairbanks Daily News Miner, in the early 80s, back when Wilhelm 'Billy' Bubbel, owner of the Chena Pump House Restaurant (and bar), was indicted for conspiracy in what was clearly no small-time operation. Bubbel had a private DC-8 with private pilots and friends in Thailand. The pic of Murky was of him shaking hands with his long-time business associate, Mr. Bubbel. A rather -LARGE- pic, I might add. ;^>) Frankie wasn't taking calls that day from Billy, though, from what I understand. A bit warm in the proverbial kitchen, as it were. ;^>)

Frankie helped to get Bubbel's restaurant 'Historic Monument' status. I don't know if there was afforded, or to what degree, if any, of tax exemption, due to that official status; just that up to 100% exemption is possible, from what I understand of the graces associated with that designation.

The difference between the Pump House and many other 'historical monuments,' is that the original Pump House was exactly that; a source of water for what was then called 'River City' that pre-dated Fairbanks during the early (approx. 1901) gold rush here. The current, 'modern' Pump House is a restaurant and bar with very little similarity to its original structure, despite 'antique-i-fying' the place.

If you Google Murky, you'll find where his name comes up, -WAY- deep in your results, (so be ready to do some serious reading) in a story from about 17-20+/- years ago, done by 20:20, Dateline, 48 Hours, or one of those shows. (It's too long ago for me to recall which one). There was a Japanese-American fellow who deisgnated his source of revenue as 'consultant,' had borrowed -LARGE- sums of $$$$$ (over a million dollars total) from banks for purposes of giving the vast majority of it to the Republican National Committee, at a time that he was allegedly over a million dollars in back-logue for child support, and his personal accounts were reportedly in the Caymen Islands. (You do the math....) ;^>)

The story reported that Murky had personally made calls to other Repugnik congress-critters trying to organize 'support' for this fellow's 'business ventures,' including seating next to the President at a specific dinner party or two (not that Murky or the RNC have ever been implicated in the sale of influence or favors as a matter of political quid pro quo involving the National Repugnik Party or anything.. or the kiting of checks on his accounts, or wrything on the floor of the Pump House rest room.... ;^>)

The Democratic Party in Alaska (of which I'm -not- a member), is currently suing his administration, and specifically the Division of Elections, for raw election data from 2004.

It seems that when comparing state-wide totals and district-by-district totals from that election, there's roughly 105,000 votes that don't seem to belong there. Imagine that!! We have districts where more people voted against legalization than there exists registered voters in that district, not counting those who voted for it.

We out-spent our competition in that race by 5:1, and lost by over 31,000 votes (if I recall correctly), in a state where introducing an additional 100,000+ votes would be akin to damned near introducing a whole new second voting populace!!

If it is what it looks like, and I'm not 100% certain yet, then my guess is that any 'interference' in the legalization issue was an after-thought, and that the primary motive would've been keeping pertinent players in place to let our resources (oil and gas) go to long-time RNC supporters at a mere fraction of their value. But we ain't there yet, in terms of solid irrefutable evidence. And if we ever -get- there, I can think of some folks that had better take up a new zip code..

I could go on, but I've used well over my fair share of band-width on this answer. Suffice it to say that in political terms, he's a scum-ball extraordinaire, with friends in high places. He's a long-time 'bag man' for people and causes that I despise. And that anyone who loves freedom, peace, integrity, and honesty ought to despise those folks too.

Regards,

Last edited:
G

those parasites are pretty common nalmost ALL wild game....not just bears. (I too have seen some crazy tapes' in blackies...but I killed a giant elk in wyoming that was riddled w/ cancer and many other parasites....the animal should not have even been alive. (called DOW and they took the elk and i didnt have to use my tag on him)

I agree w/ the need to cook VERY thorough...I prefer my Game meat ta be well done. (i have never canned meat)...tell me about that if u have the time and interest.

the last winter i spent in ak was in kodiak...and i lived off of salmon bellies that the local cannery gave me and i dried. (eskimo candy)

the gave me hundreds of pounds...and thats what my dogs ate all year too.

G

I've never killed -anything- that routinely carried -visible- (i.e, not tiny larvae, but -visible-) parasites in the way that a bear does. And bears, like pork, carry trichynosis (spelling?), in which case you're not just talking about needing to get 'debugged.'.

The village of Anuktuvik Pass is a village of mostly inland Inupiat/Inupiaq Eskimo. One of the standard traditional Inupiat/Inupiaq foods is raw caribou, frozen and sliced thin, often dipped in seal oil. (we used to eat it also with raw carrots that were also dipped in seal oil). I'm not sure of the proper spelling of it, but it's pronounced 'Qwaaalk'/'Quock'. It often carries larvae for echinococus granulosis. A veterinarian back about '81 or '82 told me that about 3/4 of the village's population likely tested positive for it. It's a rather benign larvae in a human host, with the exception of the St. Lawrence Island version of the same critter, which takes on different characteristics. I, myself, likely have the more common variety which typically lodges in the lungs of humans and stays there as nearly-microscopic cysts. A virtual non-issue.

I keep a chunk or three of muk tuk in the freezer, gifted to me by an Eskimo 'brother in the cause.' Most of the family leaves it alone, so it's pretty well mine. ;^>) I'm fairly certain that there's parasites potentially in that too, but none that'll kill me or seriously effect my life.

All critters may have parasites, but they're not all the same parasites, and there's lots that we can't see. That's the reason for the sodium nitrite ('prague powder', and mis-labelled in that thread as sodium 'nitrate') in my smoked meat and fish recipes (see Well Wishes forum, p. 3, 'Recipes for Turkish' under my same nick from a while back.

Regards,

Last edited:
G

^^^Maybe sorta....

Goin' from no weight or plant limits in the home, and 1 oz. in public possession ('75-'83), to no public possession allowed, and a 4 oz limit in the home ('83-'2006), to a 1 oz. limit in the home, with new and bigger felonies and misdemeanors (currently), isn't exactly a pot-friendly direction.

Alaska voted near 70% for GW Bush. Our legislature is predominantly red-neck Republican, and some Dems lacking a spine stout enough to keep themselves upright (with several note-worthy exceptions).

The courts are (for now) standing between pro-privacy Alaskans, and a legislature that would trade away that privacy in a heart-beat... And the court has, so far, supported the severely restricted weight allowances.

That's not progress if one was here when it was truly free.

Regards,

G

BTW, a point of clarification is in order; had the AkCLU's case been a 'criminal case,' then the Judges ruling would have not been regarded as binding. In that it is a 'civil case,' there is somewhat of a different weight to it.

Alaska v. McNiel and Alaska v. Walker didn't hold much water, as they were merely criminal rulings at the Superior Court level, by Superior Court Judges Michael Thompson (Ketchikan) and Richard Savell (Fairbanks)

However, when Judge Jane Kauvar ruled against Noy in State v. Noy, it then allowed his attorney William Satterburg to appeal to the State Appellate Court, that holds similar binding authority to the State Supreme Court. That is how Ravin was reaffirmed several years ago.

All of those were 'criminal cases.' The filing for injunctive relief in the HB149 case is a 'civil action'; apples and oranges, folks.

Regards,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts