What's new

Afropips Durban Poison Repro from DC's Garden Tester Grow

CrossBones

Looking good crossbones. When you thinking about going 12/12?
LEDs are a bit odd. Ive had mine for about a full year now. I keep em at the top of the tent. Even still i find they make the plant more compact and result in smaller leaves than even my 1000 watt hps. Do you find the same thing in your experiences?

Your garden is continuing to look better and better Bones. I bet you're itching to flower them out soon. Hope it'll be soon, so we can start to see some buds stacking :).

Changed the timer to 12/12, so I guess we can call this Day 1 of Flower, or is it after the lights go out, so tomorrow?

Thanks for the support thejact55 and Dave, it's been a tough abusive test so far. Started these around the same time as Shooters, watched ReikoX zoom on past by... and thejact55 shows us all the seeds do stay alive...

These plants have seen Over watering, Gnats, Under watering, too hot, too cold, fert issues, 400w HPS, 600w HPS with 600w leds, 0 RH for weeks, ect..

thejact55 - The Generic Durban and Blueberry I've grown before under HPS only and this run they have pretty much the same size leaves and growth rate under these leds so far, with only a maybe a tad smaller..But my grow style is slow and low as well. I think finding that sweet spot is key as with any lighting.. I do push the limits to far tho sometimes, as evident with these last Dec.. I like the ratchet hangers and move lights up and down trying to keep em happiest. I sometimes think I may have too much light in the space I'm using, 900 watts led across a 4x2, but am happy to look at the kill a watt and see 400w being used, should have got em with a dimmer?? .. Spectrum of leds is crucial as well.. I tried to match MH and HPS spectral charts with this setup test.. RH also plays a huge part in leaf size as well..

picture.php

Last edited:

thejact55

whew that's a lot of leds. how much area is that covering? I run the same viparspectra lights, so far I'm happy with em. lol glad my tents are the only jungle of crazy strings, bunjies and cords. I hate string things, that get tangled, like my pet peeve, so I don't do well with tent set ups lol.
don't be hard on yourself, its all for fun. they look good, and show if anything they are tough plants. haha dave can thank you for reppin them in such a manner :)

Dave Coulier

@ Bones

Everything you've done to your plants, Ive pretty much done it myself too so dont sweat it :). Im sure you're next run of them will surpass this one. Any plans on taking clones? Id love to see how they'd do now that you're getting things dialed in.

@Jact 55

Im glad to see these plants being grown in so many different gardens right now. With so many different methods. I just hope you all find the same pleasure Ive gotten from growing and smoking them.

CrossBones

Not feeling bad guys, Bad Attempt at humor poking fun at myself.

whew that's a lot of leds. how much area is that covering?
4x2 ft

I run the same viparspectra lights
these are models 2 V300 @ 1 R300 light, no switchs or dimmers.

Any plans on taking clones?
Took a few of DC1 and DC2 - They May or May not make it..

Im glad to see these plants being grown in so many different gardens right now. With so many different methods.
You bet.. Learning lots of new tricks here..

I just hope you all find the same pleasure Ive gotten from growing and smoking them.

And to those that can't...
nanana.gif
:smoker:

DC3 -- Day 9 Flower :skiiing:

picture.php

picture.php

djimb

They're looking really great, Cross! Winter's a difficult season to grow through without some serious climate control, but you got them through it and from these most recent pics, you'd never know they stressed it at all. Well done!

I love that all the males we're seeing from these seeds have purple flowers as well, just gorgeous. I take it that bin is for collecting pollen?

Keep it up!

Dave Coulier

Thanks for the update Bones. I enjoy taking a peek into your garden and seeing how they're all doing. I hope your clones make it, if not at least you have pollen to make your own seeds.

I hope you'll make seeds with that purple male. Im feeling kinda jealous as I have 5 males dropping pollen or about to, and not a single male has shown purple in his sacks. Harumph! :)

@DJimb, those garbage bins work well for collecting pollen. I do it myself in my garden too. Just got to be careful they dont overgrow the top of the bin. If you can keep em half as tall as the bin or 3/4th you dont need to worry much about pollen flying around the room from wind. It'll all just settle to the bottom of the bin allowing for easy collection.

CrossBones

Can seal it tight as well for lights off, or install a small light with timer, Unfortunatly DC3 is a bit over the top of this bin..

picture.php

I'm not handy with paper folds, so I got these for pollen collections..

picture.php

Had this laying around from a baking project, so will try it under the plant in the bin to catch pollen that would have gone to the soil..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

CrossBones

To Tall - Dang It

picture.php

Moved him to be alone in the curing room, cooler room temps there, set up some quick lights and a timer, may place a heating mat under the plant to help raise temps slightly..

picture.php

CrossBones

DC3 Flowers

picture.php

1500w space heater wasn't really cutting it, then remembered having this old 250w IR heat lamp, seems to be working well so far.

picture.php

CrossBones

Oooops, almost forgot about the tent.. raised the lights, bleaching.

picture.php

picture.php

L to R - GDP, DC1 Day 15 Flower

picture.php

L to R - DC2, DC1, BB

picture.php

djimb

Looking great, Cross!

Are you leaving the male flowers in your containers or taking them out after they drop pollen?

djimb

Oh, cool! I'm really interested to see how long the pollen lasts with the flower parts mixed in, as they have a fair amount of moisture in them. I know my attempt at storing pollen almost completely failed due to poor moisture control. I love seeing side by side experiments, though, and I wonder just how big a difference it'll make.

Keep it up, everything's looking great!

CrossBones

djimb - No, moisture is very bad for pollen, Leaving daily fresh flowers in sifter to dry and shake, using the containers to hold shifted flowers for another shake or 2..

Flowers Opening at Lights On

picture.php

Pollen collection thus far..

picture.php

Day 20 Flower, will paint a few branches soon..

picture.php

djimb

Ah, I see. That makes more sense. I guess I misunderstood your method. Thanks for the clarification. Great way to maximize your pollen yield.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
They are looking good so far, I notice the one on the left expressing more of its NLD heratige. I bet she takes a while to finish. Your other two look like mine, not broad leaves.

CrossBones

They are looking good so far, I notice the one on the left expressing more of its NLD heratige. I bet she takes a while to finish. Your other two look like mine, not broad leaves.

Generic Dutch Sourced Durban Poison - Not Afropips

picture.php

Afropips Durban Poison Repro DC1

picture.php

Afropips Durban Poison Repro DC2

picture.php

Afropips Durban Poison DC2 Pollinated???

picture.php

Group Shot

picture.php