What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

African Genetics: Origin and Development

S

spliphy

The discussion in the African Photo thread was getting a little off topic...instead of pictures and descriptions, origins and breeding was starting to take over somewhat enthusiastically. I take some blame as these topics interest me greatly:biggrin:

So, as a sort of 'clearing house' for things genetic and African, I thought a thread dedicated to these topics be started.

All regions of Africa should be covered by those of you who have the relevant information. One goal of this thread could be 'benchmarking' varieties and strains:smokeit:

I've thought about how to structure this discussion and failed to come to any conclusions. Initially, I thought it would be nice to make an outline and folks could post up their info as usual...then later we could 'fill-in' the outline with only the salient facts and give credits in parenthesis. This could prove cumbersome though and unworkable:dunno:

A few topics: (add other topics too)

Origins
Regional
Localities (with possible route of transit)

Timeline

Varieties and Traits
Gross Morphology
Smoke Reports
Indigenous Cultural Practices

Political and Legal Attitudes

Travel Tips

Please everyone use good sense when giving information which could jeopardize anyone's safety. Many positive developments are happening currently with our favorite herb...but we are not 'there' yet. This 'heads up' is not meant to stifle information...just a precaution to 'think before posting' :smokey:

The paper I wrote concerning Bantu migration leads me to believe they were not major conduits for Cannabis dispersion over a wide area. My next post will lay out the reasons why in an indirect sense: clues of cultural Cannabis practices worldwide will inform southern African Cannabis adoption.

The main points of this thesis are present in my mind, but I need
to organize my thoughts coherently and check some sources.

As always I want to be open for learning so if you have good reasons to believe your different conclusions are valid...please school me and the community with the facts:hide:

lowridersa

spliphy, high and thanks for the post . There is really no conclusive eveidence of genetics in Africa, below the equator. I would love to read your paper, please post a link.

I think your way of attack is supherb, lots of info for the genetics, if we can get it that is.
I was wondering about your concerns of security, I understand about where we are in the world, legalities aswell as interception of our conversation, I mean we are using the internet, its like waving in a shopping centre i smoke cannabis, so what are you concerned with regarding our own security..

My 4 cents of Africa, in laymans terms. I think the bantu did have a huge impact on genetics, although the San ( original inhabitors of South Africa, West side ) had access to dacha, now known as dagga. The bantu migrated from central africa and with trade that is still done to this day, obviously swopped cannabis with tribes as they headed down south, its a way business is done here. There is also a wonderful story about Riamba ( cannabis ) used by a tribe in south central africa for purposes of peace. In SA we then had the indians arriving on the eastern shores around 150 years ago, and this also must have had a huge impact on our genetics, perhaps were we get some of the indica strains, I have heard of a swazi indica in the past, never seen or tasted it. Next genetic influence would be the dutch, whereby they influenced locals to smoke and grow. Jan van Riebeek arrived in 1652 on our shores, and built hemp fields to sell back to the dutch in europe for hemp and fibre purposes. I think hemp has had a huge influence on our cannabis, but still its been localised amongst people and kept safe for generations.

So as with South Africa, our think our genetics are as colourful as our people. But would be a lovely story to get to the bottom of it, and have a genealogy of some sort to go with our beautiful strains.

If you look at my siganture, I am no breeder, but trying to assist a company called green candy press with getting some pics and strain info into a book. Would be lovely if others submitted tehre strains and give a more comprehensive look at african strains.

I look forward to updates here and hope to help out. Peace. :thank you:

S

spliphy

hi lowridersa

hi lowridersa

spliphy, high and thanks for the post . There is really no conclusive eveidence of genetics in Africa, below the equator. I would love to read your paper, please post a link.

I think your way of attack is supherb, lots of info for the genetics, if we can get it that is.
I was wondering about your concerns of security, I understand about where we are in the world, legalities aswell as interception of our conversation, I mean we are using the internet, its like waving in a shopping centre i smoke cannabis, so what are you concerned with regarding our own security..

My 4 cents of Africa, in laymans terms. I think the bantu did have a huge impact on genetics, although the San ( original inhabitors of South Africa, West side ) had access to dacha, now known as dagga. The bantu migrated from central africa and with trade that is still done to this day, obviously swopped cannabis with tribes as they headed down south, its a way business is done here. There is also a wonderful story about Riamba ( cannabis ) used by a tribe in south central africa for purposes of peace. In SA we then had the indians arriving on the eastern shores around 150 years ago, and this also must have had a huge impact on our genetics, perhaps were we get some of the indica strains, I have heard of a swazi indica in the past, never seen or tasted it. Next genetic influence would be the dutch, whereby they influenced locals to smoke and grow. Jan van Riebeek arrived in 1652 on our shores, and built hemp fields to sell back to the dutch in europe for hemp and fibre purposes. I think hemp has had a huge influence on our cannabis, but still its been localised amongst people and kept safe for generations.

So as with South Africa, our think our genetics are as colourful as our people. But would be a lovely story to get to the bottom of it, and have a genealogy of some sort to go with our beautiful strains.

If you look at my siganture, I am no breeder, but trying to assist a company called green candy press with getting some pics and strain info into a book. Would be lovely if others submitted tehre strains and give a more comprehensive look at african strains.

I look forward to updates here and hope to help out. Peace. :thank you:

the security I was most concerned about was for travel tips...where to acquire genetics may have interest to others besides users...I would hate to think a careless post jeopardizing an unsuspecting local group and their herb.

Also, another aspect of security is plagiarism software which all my term papers were submitted under...therefore if I post it up...anyone having access to academic links may be able to find out all about me. I know this is remote...but, still none the less. I am legal to grow as I'm disabled and medically registered in my location. Thieves could be a problem too, so I like to be secure as possible.

I'll post up my thoughts when collected regarding migrations in Africa...all the best, S.

Last edited:

mintz

if pos i would like to hear a lot more on west africa herb,just a personal thing,i always hear about south african strain.africa is a big continent:dance013:

I think the reason behind why most strain being reported on are of South african decent is due to marketing and the hype created by the Name "Durban POISON" over the years, which created a big interest in South African strains.

Best African Strain - Malawi Skunk ( skunk, as in the best malawi tops/heads)
Strongest I've had: Durban Poison
One I want to try the most: Congo Black - I've heard first hand stories of people tripping off that weed

S

spliphy

awesome ahortator

awesome ahortator

Hello

Africa is very big and I think that is the paradise of the sativas.

Here is a bit of info:

http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/hemp/history/first12000/7.htm

I don't know why almost all the info is about Southafrican strains. Central and Western African strains are also very good, even the best.

http://www.cannabiscafe.net/foros/showpost.php?p=2164899&postcount=114

I hope this may help a bit.

Greetings

Thanks so much for these links ... both are golden studies of cannabis society ... very very fascinating:thank you:

these accounts add to our cultural/historical understanding of this prized herb ... bravo!

S

spliphy

interesting

interesting

I think the reason behind why most strain being reported on are of South african decent is due to marketing and the hype created by the Name "Durban POISON" over the years, which created a big interest in South African strains.

Best African Strain - Malawi Skunk ( skunk, as in the best malawi tops/heads)
Strongest I've had: Durban Poison
One I want to try the most: Congo Black - I've heard first hand stories of people tripping off that weed

Hi Old Friend,

Humble Pie's "Thirty Days in the Hole" helped with the Durban hype ... which is no hype if one gets a hold of certain "parcels" ... witness your own account of your "strongest"

A question to all: are the Durban strains in Holland sold by Sensi and Dutch Passion really "pure" as they claim "never hybridized"?

I grew out the Sensi version and believe it was pure ... it was a great and 'different' sativa than the typical haze-based influence of most hybrids.

Also, I read on another board a while back that 'Chris' (African Seeds) crossed his offerings with Skunk#1 too ... I don't believe this is true either since the several strains I grew from him showed no Skunk#1. Any ideas?

Interesting that they use the term "skunk" for tops in Malawi ... must be fragrant weed for sure:)

The story of the Pygmies in Ahortator's link was very special ... I want to try some of that too:)

S

spliphy

earthen pipes

earthen pipes

Quite often, however, a tribe could not afford the luxury of a bowl and instead the natives improvised as best they could. Sometimes this took the form of a hole in the ground in which the dagga was placed. The drug was then mixed with burning manure and tunnels were dug into the sides of the mound. To inhale the fumes, the smokers lay down with their mouths over the holes. These earthen pipes were very common among the Hottentots, Bushmen, and the Bantus.

http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/hemp/history/first12000/7.htm

This is what I've been looking for: a description of dagga smoking through earth. I had read about it elsewhere and the concept intrigued me.

My understanding of soil is that it is fairly clean generally in a undisturbed and uncontaminated place and that, in general, the good soil microbes eat the bad ones.

As for the dung they used: folks have long used dry dung to cook their food. this is a fuel which helped keep the cannabis ignited.

One advantage of this method is the cooling of the smoke as it travels underground in these tunnels.

I've noticed distinct earthy aromas both from stem rubbing several African varieties I grew. Is it possible that folks in places like Kenya and Malawi exploited this plant-smell connection and experimented with processes such as curing and smoking cannabis in earth to discover a natural consumption method? Fascinating stuff:)

Last edited:
I doubt they are still in their PURE form, the amount of posturing by seedbanks leads me to believe they are marketing rather than telling the truth. Not many folks had the ability/experiance to grow a PURE sativa indoors and marketing tactics dictate that we must sell to the masses, hence "we add skunk#1 to shorten the flowing period and height" hype vibe to bring in the masses who would never had even looked into a pure sativa. But this is just an opionion and not fact.

Never read anything like you mention about Chris crossing with Sk#1.

Regarding Malawi Skunk - Skunk is a generic term like "beasters", "mids" or "dro" and the like here in SA.. no dutch skunk put in them. And certainly no differance in smell from our reg Swazi, Durban & Transkei.
Still got my boy in Durban searching for proper DP for me.

S

spliphy

Hi Old Friend

Hi Old Friend

I doubt they are still in their PURE form, the amount of posturing by seedbanks leads me to believe they are marketing rather than telling the truth. Not many folks had the ability/experiance to grow a PURE sativa indoors and marketing tactics dictate that we must sell to the masses, hence "we add skunk#1 to shorten the flowing period and height" hype vibe to bring in the masses who would never had even looked into a pure sativa. But this is just an opionion and not fact.

The Sensi Durban was acquired in the late '90s at their seed shop. These were grown outdoors after the seedling stage under fluorescents. The plants were somewhat early finishers with the characteristic anise taste and smell. The main problem was yield or rather lack thereof but the high was electric but not overpowering. I grew out 1 or 2 generations of several phenos as I purposely lightly pollinated the plants (so that I could both sample buds and have seeds). The offspring were just not hardy compared to hybrids with insect attack the biggest problem. I saw no Skunk#1 influence in subsequent generations or initial seed plants.

Let us know if you find some proper Durban Poison.:)

I'll certainly let you know bud if I get any.

on a slightly diff note,

I wonder where this original/classic DP has dissapeared too? This is supposed to be a landrace strain grown in abundance here in SA, yet I have not seen any in almost 3-4 years, "pencils" in even longer (+/-10yrs)

The only things I can think of,
Around 2001-2 we had the helicopters in the air spraying crops in Swaziland (neighbours Kwazulu Natal home of DP)

The commercial interest in the strain in the rural areas has fallen way to a larger producing strain brought to the farmers by not to concerned drug traders. ie introducing the "Skunk" type strains for fatten harvests. But this is also just conjecture coz i have no proof.

Is the DP originality lost to all? I truely do hope that the likes of Sensi and other reputable seed houses keep it alive in its pure form.

Enjoy your weekend.

Last edited:

lowridersa

Durban Poison

Durban Poison

Hey Guys

Lovely links to african cannabis details, and that map is terrific. Got a very new interesting cannabis book today and hoping to find more information about african genetics, such as Angolan slaves taking cannabis strains over to Brazil!!!

Durban Poison is here, funny enough we having the same debate on weed.co.za, with far less infromation than here. Anyway going to upload the pictures so we can see Durbans finest and old friend, sticks are from years back, glad to say they are still around, but the quality is not as good.

Is the DP originality lost to all? I truely do hope that the likes of Sensi and other reputable seed houses keep it alive in its pure form.
There are a few seedbanks that are storing the seeds, I am not to sure on names, but I think World of seeds or something. And we as South Africans should keep the seeds, like AGRISA.

Around 2001-2 we had the helicopters in the air spraying crops in Swaziland
To this day they are spraying, investing in helicopters and working with the Swazi police to sweep the north hills with fuel mixed other land damaging chemicals to spray the plants, wiping out entire communities.

Here is a nice piece from Strain Base Africa, which I think you can download under the strains section of ICMAG or if you want will upload it and post the link.

Oh and check just round teh corner on this forum, African Photothread, African herbsman has been working a bit with the DP's, i think on the first post he has a DP male.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=90902

Below is what you been looking for, DP:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

DP Sticks.

picture.php

One love.

S

spliphy

monster Durban

monster Durban

nice pictures lowridersa,:wave:

glorious sativas :)

lowridersa

Thought of sharing this bud I came across on the weekend, its also DP genetics I am sure, and been interbred naturally for awhile now.

picture.php

S

spliphy

great pictures

great pictures

Thought of sharing this bud I came across on the weekend, its also DP genetics I am sure, and been interbred naturally for awhile now.

picture.php

your picture gives perfect scale as the backdrop is common to most.

these "sticks" ... are they the "pencils"?

the best, s.

Latest posts

Latest posts