What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Af Breeding & Rootsystem

*mr.mike*

Breeding takes many, many plants to select from. If you're only selecting a few individuals, over what is really the "average" of the offspring, sure, problems happen.

How is it that you didn't notice the weak roots a generation or two back? You'd figure there would have been signs along the way to where you got now.

Any chance at all that it was the soil? Maybe some other possibility?

I only write this way because I find that each different auto strain seems to need to be "dialed in" from changing pots to nutrient schedule.

I'd recommend trying them again. new nutrient free substrate, check temps, not too much water, etc. Keep notes, you'd be surprised how it can help you in the future.

I'm so anal about the whole thing that for the first three weeks I actually water my plants on a scale, and put things in larger pots only when I'm sure to need to, and never later.

Tropic

Keep notes, you'd be surprised how it can help you in the future.

This can't be repeated enough, no matter if it is a grow diary or just a small .txt log, or a notebook in your drawer... taking notes is very important, that way if anything (good or bad) happens during the grow (def, nuteburn, explosive growth) you can trace it back and (try to) understand why your plants reacted that way. Plus, you might be able to remember stuff for a few days, weeks, or even months, but time will only make those memories less precise as it passes. Keep track of soil mixes, transplant times, feeding, etc... so that you can use that info later.

Peace :joint:

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
look into maybe crossing kc brains mango in there somewhere.... i have never seen a more agressive root devlopment than that of the kc brains mango.. it was a project i was planing on doing but ran out of pollen as i crossed the mango pollen with a jilly bean feamle :D

Bob_J

i read in a book once that your dried weight is equal to the dried root mass of the plant. ive weighed small plants to larger ones. and yeah its true.
for fresh weight (manicured buds) i take however many grams it is and multiply by 0.2. that should be pretty much your dry weight. they say fresh weight is 75% but ive always found its more like 80%.
to get 1 oz dry would be 140g fresh weight

5 pounds fresh = 1 pound dry

book was called "secrets of high yield plant growth" by graham reinders. he also wrote the book that seems to be available in alot of hydro stores around here called "how to supercharge your garden"