What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aerating Reservoir Before Watering to Organic Soil

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Does anyone aerate their water in a rez before watering their organic gardens like they would for a hydro system? Feel like the more oxygen to the roots the better, since I fill up reservoirs with filtered well water before watering anyway, wouldnt be any extra work ti theow some air stones in… Any thoughts? Any science?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Not sure if airstones are needed. If u water with a fine nozzle u would get the same effect imo.

How much gas can dissolve in a liquid is temperature dependend. The cooler the water the more O2 can be in it. So try to get the water temp as cool as possible without harming the girls.

Iirc the sip- guys don't aerate their reservoire so imo it won't make a big difference.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I run a bubbler in my rez for the self-watering big tent SIP. That water goes in the other tent also. Water coming from my tap is low on O2 as the water comes from a well. Only cal-mag and epsom salts, and pH down, goes into that water.

I notice the rez pH goes up as more air is bubbled through it.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you aerate the water for a long time the pH will rise. The water doesn't have to be bubbled for hours only a few minutes before watering. I use a turkey baster to blast the water with air before watering. Just a couple of minutes will do fine and yes it's very helpful for the soil microbe populations and for the plants. I do it on every organic soil watering. 😎

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I think as CO2 is bubbled through the water the pH changes, until it is done changing. It is no big deal, and I just watch the rez pH and treat as required.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
If you aerate the water for a long time the pH will rise. The water doesn't have to be bubbled for hours only a few minutes before watering. I use a turkey baster to blast the water with air before watering. Just a couple of minutes will do fine and yes it's very helpful for the soil microbe populations and for the plants. I do it on every organic soil watering. 😎
Im thinkin have the airstones come on in the rez on a timer like for 5-10 min before the water pump kicks on.👌

Tomatoesonly

One of the purposes of "organic soil" is to quit tinkering with every aspect of the grow. To let the biology do what it does.

I've noticed in threads, it will start simple, and before long someone comes along and wants to add timers, pumps, coolers, monitoring devices, salt fert res. Basically 1/2 step from full on Hydroponics.

Listen to Ron Propele... "Set it, and forget it!!"

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
One of the purposes of "organic soil" is to quit tinkering with every aspect of the grow. To let the biology do what it does.

I've noticed in threads, it will start simple, and before long someone comes along and wants to add timers, pumps, coolers, monitoring devices, salt fert res. Basically 1/2 step from full on Hydroponics.

Listen to Ron Propele... "Set it, and forget it!!"
I feel you, my main purpose of organic soil though is to have quality organic end product, and if some tinkering can improve said end product im all for it! Plus I love to tinker!🤣
Also one reason Im looking into this is because its hard for me to get to my garden every other day or so to water, automatic watering system makes it easier to set and forget, but in organic soil plants can take up different rates of water especially when its multiple strains, so Im wondering if oxegenating the water could act as a buffer to prevent some plants from being over watered, so roots wont get drowned out on those plants that take in lower amounts.

Tomatoesonly

I feel you, my main purpose of organic soil though is to have quality organic end product, and if some tinkering can improve said end product im all for it! Plus I love to tinker!🤣
Also one reason Im looking into this is because its hard for me to get to my garden every other day or so to water, automatic watering system makes it easier to set and forget, but in organic soil plants can take up different rates of water especially when its multiple strains, so Im wondering if oxegenating the water could act as a buffer to prevent some plants from being over watered, so roots wont get drowned out on those plants that take in lower amounts.
If you're using something like a Grobucket, they have 2 ways to basically gravity auto water their system.
You can have a float in each bucket or a single control bucket that feeds all the other buckets. If all your buckets are on the same level, then system 2 is the best option.
With that system, you are only limited by how large your main res would be. Since the main part of the bucket is organic, no need to run anything but water in your res. Also, they are well proven that you don't root rot or drown your plants with these SIP systems.

St. Phatty

That sounds like the kind of TLC that won't hurt, unless the aeration changes the pH.

I like the sound when I bucket water a 30 gallon pot.

You can hear the water percolate through.

Then you can hear the air get sucked in from the top.

Which admittedly is only 20% oxygen.

Ca++

Freshly fallen rain is one of the best water sources. I'm sure it would do more good than cause issues. Hell.. I use hydrogen peroxide in my soil. Their response to it is unquestionable.

How long will this res be sat about? you may need to bubble it as simple maintenance. Especially if it's warm

Latest posts

Latest posts