What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Adjustawings HELLION Mixed Spectrum Room

butler

Damn nice grow buddy. I wish you were my butler! Ok hell, I wish anyone was my butler.
Nice grow man.:bow::good:

THANK YOU Fred! I really enjoyed these last two rounds — there's always so much to learn — I love this journey! :) Thanks again for the encouragement :)

butler

Just wanted to drop in and say the clealiness of the grow is amazing. There's a subtle, dare I say, beauty to your setup that's inspiring.

Appreciate the kind words, fellow Student. :dance013: I try and keep things super simple and just pay attention to the EC of my run off — best advice anyone ever gave me for soilless container culture.

Thanks again :biggrin:

V

ValleyHill

Hi Butler Really nice and tidy.will be very interesting to see your overall view of this new lighting.and how it compares.
What lighting have you ran in the past mate.
Atb vh

butler

Hi Butler Really nice and tidy.will be very interesting to see your overall view of this new lighting.and how it compares.
What lighting have you ran in the past mate.
Atb vh

Thanks buddy. I've grown and bloomed three cycles using 630W DE-CMH. One time I used a 3K for bloom, and the other two times (will be documented here) I used a mix of 3K and 4K DE-CMH to supplement 2 X 600W DE-HPS in this chequerboard pattern.

As far as HID is concerned I've used 250W - 1000W single-ended metal halides, 400W - 1100W single-ended HPS, dual arc tube 1000W (600W HPS + 400W MH), 315W CMH and twin 315W CMH fixtures from the US using the first generation Philips CDM lamps, 600W, 750W and 1000W DE-HPS, 1000W DE-MH (10K spectrum).

LEDs: I've tried everything from blurple to the higher end stuff: iSunlight T5 replacements, SunPar, AgroLED 1440, Fluence Rayzr, SpydrX, SpydrX Plus (all first gen), SANLight S4W and Q6W.

Other stuff: T5s, T5+UV, CFLs, etc. I've also used sulphur plasma and the Luxim plasma technology. (Gavita LEP).

The new generation CMH and DE-CMH lamps have an enhanced spectrum with more deep red. It seems to help with encouraging branching. UV output is pretty much exactly the same as it was with the first generation according to the manufacturer's stats.

The big takeaways as far as I'm concerned are threefold:

1) Mixing spectrums really seems to take the plants to the next level. Maybe it was my seedlings expressing themselves more fully on the second run (it happens!) but there was insane resin production and dense, chunky nugs with really complex aromas when I ran the keepers for the second time. The new generation CMH and DE-CMH lamps seem a lot brighter and, dare I say it, harsher on the eyes — wear your shades!

2) Distance from canopy is only 45 cm / 18" during peak flower (wings at widest setting). I believe this is only practically possible because of the Super Spreader (heat deflector) and the reflector design. You can just get the whole fixture a lot closer than is possible with a greenhouse style DE shade. The light emits at quite a wide angle from the reflectors, meaning there is significant crossover between the DE-HPS and DE-CMH — the plants don't just get diluted "mixed spectrum" as they do when you hang a 315W CMH next to a 1000W DE-HPS both bolted 7' above to a ceiling — all colours are present at high intensity. This, I believe, is what Emerson et al were really talking about. :) The Japanese light researcher, Inada, famously said that as intensity increases, spectrum becomes more and more important (in order to achieve a proportional photosynthetic yield increase) — so I'm definitely sold on this method of mixing spectra.

3) The reflectors themselves are the "DEfender" style from Adjustawings, the white titanium oxide coating. It's not common knowledge (as far as I know!) how superior this reflective material is to PVD (especially the ubiquitous silicon dioxide PVD from Germany) as it does not absorb UV. This means more UV on your plants and less heat build-up in your reflector materials. Some folks will point out that the titanium oxide coating is only 92% reflective (manufacturer's own stats) compared with 97% reflective for Miro PVD. However— the footprint is a lot more even with the titanium oxide — PVD is great for SE lamps, but with the increased intensity of DE the light sort of "collects" at the edges of the footprint leading to hotspots in the crossover. Very weird! So I strongly recommend white wings for DE lamps.

butler

Count me in butler when I saw mr danks it got my attention I thought it was Bradley Danks member on here you meant, but when I read it noticed it was not either way im in good luck.:tiphat:

Thanks buddy — I'm not sure how to increase my photo upload limit. Any idea?

V

ValleyHill

Thank you very much for your in depth reply
Let the show commence
Atb vh