What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

additives that can be used in hydro ?

coxnox

Veteran
Hi,
what do you use as additives in your rez ?

here allmost nothing, base and silica that's it. all other additives make my rez go bad, like smell bad with some mud at the top of it.
i have an ebb & flow system with rockowwol, i never change my rez i only top it....

so i dont use additives or when i do i do it manually by hand watering them.

what yu guyz do ?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
" i never change my rez i only top it...."

This is the problem. Res change once a week makes all the difference the world in the end product.

I only top off during the week with plain water and adjust pH back down to 5.8.

My res contains the following:

Botanicare Pure Blend Pro
Botanicare Cal/Mag
Hygrozyme
Protekt DynaGro
AN Big Bud
AN Overdrive

Weekly spray with Growsafe seedling to flower set.

coxnox

Veteran

This is the problem. Res change once a week makes all the difference the world in the end product.

Botanicare Cal/Mag
Hygrozyme
Protekt DynaGro
AN Big Bud
AN Overdrive

so yu clean yu rez, pump.... weekly ?

LostTribe

Premium user

Botanicare Cal/Mag
Hygrozyme
Protekt DynaGro
AN Big Bud
AN Overdrive

Drain, flush with RO and refill every 7-10 days. Ph should stay as close to 5.7-5.8 as possible but I never adjusted more than once per day.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I also never change out a hydro res, unless the balance is off for some reason. Your plants should be using everything equally, so adding back plain r/o (and nutes at the pH turn point) keeps things straight without overfeeding anything. The natural swing in pH as nutes are used up makes the largest difference for full nute absorption.

I prefer the same style. Base nutes, epsom, maybe silica if on hand, r/o. I used to use Floralicious+ but don't bother much with it the last few years.

Ditched it all (20+ years of hydro) for plain soil and rabbit manure for the sheer complexity and expression of terps. ;)