What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Achieving a cleaner burn

Aphatspliff

Easy people,

Always looking to achieve a better quality end product, got some nice strains that tick the boxes looks and smell wise but find I get inconsistent results when it comes to a clean burn. I grow from seed, in the ground using organic amendments so don’t have the option to flush like you can in pots. I’ll have one plant when dried and cured smokes nice and then will have a plant right next to it that’s had the same treatment ends up burning black as soot… Anyone know what causes thos? and is there anything I can do get a more consistent clean burn throughout my whole crop?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Easy people,

Always looking to achieve a better quality end product, got some nice strains that tick the boxes looks and smell wise but find I get inconsistent results when it comes to a clean burn. I grow from seed, in the ground using organic amendments so don’t have the option to flush like you can in pots. I’ll have one plant when dried and cured smokes nice and then will have a plant right next to it that’s had the same treatment ends up burning black as soot… Anyone know what causes thos? and is there anything I can do get a more consistent clean burn throughout my whole crop?
That's a good question friend. Where the roots live in the ground there can be an excess of salts in the soil. It's really important to incorporate the amendments evenly and lightly when plants are young. If a person is adding amendments "especially nitrogen" all season they can build up in the soil causing a bad taste in the weed. Less is best.