What's new

Accusations by GML about LED industry

Ipotato

So as far as i can tell HGL isn't a sponsor here so I guess it's OK to post this. If not please remove. During a live stream 2 days ago GML blev the lid on how LED companies are faking their results by sending special lights with top shelf LEDs to testing labs which are not same as retail. You only need to watch first 18 minutes, the meat of the story starts at 10. Make up your own mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Vil5wdiyY

Edit Got the acronyms wrong meant HLG

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I got lost in the acronym shuffle, but you might be talking about a banned brand that sounded like hlg. There were knowingly selling lights that would cause real RFI issues for local equipment such as radio's and data networks. They refused to do any testing regarding this or any type approval, and were just making the cheapest rubbish possible. People were outing them for past businesses they were involved with, and how they were pretending to be people they were not. Eventually it came forth that a warranty claim would be met with the fact they had your address and knew a policeman. At which point, they and all their posts were gone. Though they had in fact paid for adverting here, IC won't side with people just for financial gain (unlike most rival sites)

Ipotato

I got lost in the acronym shuffle, but you might be talking about a banned brand that sounded like hlg. There were knowingly selling lights that would cause real RFI issues for local equipment such as radio's and data networks. They refused to do any testing regarding this or any type approval, and were just making the cheapest rubbish possible. People were outing them for past businesses they were involved with, and how they were pretending to be people they were not. Eventually it came forth that a warranty claim would be met with the fact they had your address and knew a policeman. At which point, they and all their posts were gone. Though they had in fact paid for adverting here, IC won't side with people just for financial gain (unlike most rival sites)

No this is about Horticulture Lighting Group and a guy called Grand Master Level but thank you for info about hlg too. I had no idea

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
No this is about Horticulture Lighting Group and a guy called Grand Master Level but thank you for info about hlg too. I had no idea

I have said nothing about hlg. I thought you just did. The banned one's have a similar set of initials. HGL perhaps.

HLG have a reasonable reputation. Though I can see they are quick to cut costs at the expense of long term reliability

Edit: About 10% separates the best and worst bins, when speaking about the LM301 variants. I always buy expecting to get short changed, so just go direct to China and pay appropriately. If you demand that top bin, you buy from a real brand. Not one aimed at us.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds more like scammie cammie,horticulture lighting group in my experience stands behind their products,i had an issue with one of their lamps and they had a new one to me in 48 hours with a return ticket for the old lamp

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Yea scammie was HGL - HydroGrowsLed I have one in my 2x2. It is the light that I have used the fewest hours but a couple diodes burnt out after 6 months or so.
I use it for a new clone quarantine or quarantine for pollen producing plants.

Ipotato

Oh it is about Horticulture Lighting Group the guy was their sales rep for Canada. Now I got my letters confused in the first post but mostly it's about the whole industry. The video got taken down by the guy that posted it (GML) and lots of disclaimers got put in but it comes down to it's about him shilling for a big company to make $, bullying and discrediting independent testers and now after he left the company blowing the lid on practices in the industry. So he's not painting a pretty picture of himself either.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I wonder what the production numbers are on the different bins. I presume Samsung want to make top bin every time, but sometimes miss the mark. That's how it appears, with batch testing finding the bin, rather than production efficiency (speed/supplies/Friday)
Everybody only sells the top bin LEDs. The rest just go in the bin surely? :)

I'm sorry to hear of lights failing at 6 months. That smells of thin steel pcb tracks where heavy copper was wanted. With LED's that were barely tested and solder times that barely got the solder to flow. The worst bit is that the LEDs were likely running at full power and beyond, and when some bust, the other must take the load. At some point, cascade failure is on the cards.

Corpselover Fat

I wonder what the production numbers are on the different bins. I presume Samsung want to make top bin every time, but sometimes miss the mark. That's how it appears, with batch testing finding the bin, rather than production efficiency (speed/supplies/Friday)

They produce the diodes, test each one and bin them accordingly so light fixtures won't end up with diodes of different colour and brightness.

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
And only about 10% of diodes end up being top bin

10% ?
That's the info I was looking for, but just 10% is very low. As the H is for horticultural use, I don't see many finding their way into other applications. The Horticultural sector will be taking all of them, and they will be priced to make sure of it. This is a better gauge of what's in our lights, than many manufacturer claims. We know their will be fakes out there to, so that 10% chance is lower still.