What's new

Aarrrgggghh, Snapped Plant

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH, i was bending one of my nl in order to tie it down, i went a bit far and CRUNCH it snapped, not totally, still attached by 1/3 the thickness of the stem, this snap is about1/4 way down the plant from the top. i taped it, and gave it a splint, what do u guys think r the chances of recovery, should i chopp where it snapped and put it back in veg? or should i leave it taped up, have i helped with the tape/splints. stupid, stupid, stupid......... slaps self round face cant believe i did it. thanks, all advice gratefully welcomed and rewarded with good vibes, going out 2 ya 1st timer uk

Dont beat yourself up too much - not the first - wont be the last
I agree with farmer john - it will probably mend ok

I keep masking tape handy for such disasters - its strong enough to hold the plant together until it mends - but will split as the stem grows - so it dosn't constrict the stem later on

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Thanx guys and/or gals. feel a bit better, been 2 check on em, and its ok, 2 of the 6 sun leaves looked all curled up, and i chopped em so it can concentr8 on mending, besides, it looks fine

G

i actualy snap on purpose if the plant gets too tall,it makes an elbow and seems to grow better ,dont know why. i got the idea from soma
the plant s always repair the damage to the tissues in a few days ,no harm really
peace and good luck
:D

The Herbalist

SHE'LL BE ALRIGHT

SHE'LL BE ALRIGHT

The snap wasn't a big deal. Just make sure you give it proper time to heal before you mess with it. This will only give the secondary branches a chance to grow will she regroups. Next time spray the break with a little water and then splint, and tape it. Don't worry she'll be alright.

syko2

I have had this happen a few times no big deal, you did right tape is all that is needed. Never lost any either...

Good luck

Syko2

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ahh hell, we snap our tall ladies' necks all the time as regular cultivation practice. Worry not my friend. Sleep well.
cc

Vapour

The Herbal Gerbil
If you use candlewax instead of tape it cuts the shock time by around half and helps to resume normal growth. Just melt it over the cut and it will prevent infection, hold the plant and allow it to heal quickly. Quick and effective.

syko2

That's a new one to me...I don;t think I would do that. Of course it does sound like it would work but does the wax chip away easy and quickly? Does not sound sterdy either.

How many times have you tried this?

How to bend plants without snapping

How to bend plants without snapping

If you squeeze the stem flat for about 2.5 cms (1" ) to 5 cms (2")
around the point you want it to bend then you should be able to bend the stem without snapping it - hope that this helps for next time

Vapour

The Herbal Gerbil
Hundreds. I promise you it's easy and effective. I've held up very big plants with just the wax and no, it does not chip away easily if applied liberally. Try it n some plants outside to test the theory if your unsure. If weight is an issue you can always add a wrap of fishing line or other non porous ties.