What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A5 s1 - Koon's wannabe Dutch experience

Koondense

Veteran
Hello fellow ganja lovers,
first a BIG THANKS to Karma, he gave away quite a number of these A5 s1 seeds and crosses not long ago, this is the A5 s1, not hybridised so let's see how this girl develops.
For me it's not the first time with A5 genes, had two runs with the A5 x Malawi Killer by Ace, both were very nice and made me appreciate the plants even more.
This one though is a selfed individual, has less vigor than A5 hybrids and looks more "ancient" to my eye than most cannabis plants I've seen.
So it's a good start, actually had some issues with her nutrient uptake, the plant was getting pale(yellowish), no salts or N increase did not help...then I made some aerated compost tea and she returned fully green and healthy in a couple days. Enhanced organics is the way to go with this girl.

Basic setup:
Enhanced organic soil + nutrients
Probably a 40L fabric pot
Led lights - cree cxb 3590 cobs(25-35W/sqft)
some lst, pruning, maybe topping.

A5s1 top, still in veg
picture.php

Can't say more for now, she will get the pretty much standard treatment as all the girls until now, except the "enhanced" organics will now become the new standard, after seeing how nicely she reacted to it.
Expecting some more veg time as it's one hell of a summer and holidays are around the corner.
Changed the location again, so more travel and more work will be needed...hopefully in the end it will go well but I can't make such promises, life is too hectic sometimes.
Wish me luck

Once again thank you KarmaG for the free seeds, means really a lot!

Cheers

el mani

Veteran
:wave:

I agree with you, this year I have the whole garden full of haze hybrids (KA5hz, AG13 bx, MM x Nh, WL, SSSDHxJh MHz and A5s1) and the a5 seems the most "ancient".
good luck

TheDarkStorm

Hello fellow ganja lovers,
first a BIG THANKS to Karma, he gave away quite a number of these A5 s1 seeds and crosses not long ago, this is the A5 s1, not hybridised so let's see how this girl develops.
For me it's not the first time with A5 genes, had two runs with the A5 x Malawi Killer by Ace, both were very nice and made me appreciate the plants even more.
This one though is a selfed individual, has less vigor than A5 hybrids and looks more "ancient" to my eye than most cannabis plants I've seen.
So it's a good start, actually had some issues with her nutrient uptake, the plant was getting pale(yellowish), no salts or N increase did not help...then I made some aerated compost tea and she returned fully green and healthy in a couple days. Enhanced organics is the way to go with this girl.

Basic setup:
Enhanced organic soil + nutrients
Probably a 40L fabric pot
Led lights - cree cxb 3590 cobs(25-35W/sqft)
some lst, pruning, maybe topping.

A5s1 top, still in veg
View Image

Can't say more for now, she will get the pretty much standard treatment as all the girls until now, except the "enhanced" organics will now become the new standard, after seeing how nicely she reacted to it.
Expecting some more veg time as it's one hell of a summer and holidays are around the corner.
Changed the location again, so more travel and more work will be needed...hopefully in the end it will go well but I can't make such promises, life is too hectic sometimes.
Wish me luck

Once again thank you KarmaG for the free seeds, means really a lot!

Cheers

That looks like a very interesting pheno you have there...good luck lets hope its a special one

Koondense

Veteran
Hi guys,
one week around and she just had a haircut or another defoliation, not much again, it's nice to keep her clean.
She has a "mom" status even if I did not take clones yet but I let her grow big, actually the longest veg of all my seed plants, she's awaiting transplant in a 40L fabric pot.
Still very green even if I neglected her a bit during the hottest days and she got very dry and droopy but recovered perfectly.
Not much changes for now but there will be soon enough.

A5s1 mom
picture.php

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Transplanted in 25l fabric pot, put under a net. Looks like a not easy to grow plant, more to come in future days.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
After transplant she suffered for some reason, I have a hard time with keeping her happy but somehow I manage.
The A5s1 is now under 12/12 for a day and will start to stretch soon, by her low vigor the stretch should not be too crazy so I hope to be able and manage the canopy well enough so the other plants and this will start to flower at the same level and time.

A5 s1

picture.php

picture.php

Getting a bit greener with increased feeding, I feel she would need less but requires constant levels of N otherwise she fades quickly. A not easy plant, hoping for at least some decent buds.

Cheers

unnamedmike

After transplant she suffered for some reason, I have a hard time with keeping her happy but somehow I manage.
The A5s1 is now under 12/12 for a day and will start to stretch soon, by her low vigor the stretch should not be too crazy so I hope to be able and manage the canopy well enough so the other plants and this will start to flower at the same level and time. Getting a bit greener with increased feeding, I feel she would need less but requires constant levels of N otherwise she fades quickly. A not easy plant, hoping for at least some decent buds.
Cheers

Hey Koondense :wave: Not sure, in fact im far from sure xD but to me, look like there is too much light for the plants. If you low the eC, the problem gonna be worse. My solution was move the lights a few cm away. I repeat that im not sure, i only saw that one time before dim my lights.

cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Hi mike,
I think it's not too much light, the cobs are dimmed at 50-60% so around 35-40W per cob, she had more before the transplant. The metabolism on this plant is slower compared to most seeds I try, the last time I gave her compost tea, she regained all the green in a week and stayed green until the transplant, so I guess she needs more power to the roots, some microbes and maybe mycos to help her absorb and metabolize the food. Also I gave her some magnesium and fish fertilizer, expecting her to bounce back soon, in fact the first signs were seen after a couple days already.
Maybe it's because it's an old line accustomed to mineral nutrients or who knows under what conditions she has been grown in the last 20 years, to give her some more vigor I plan to dust her with original haze pollen and see how the progeny behaves. Can't hurt, right ;)
Oh, and all clones I took were almost dead for two weeks, now they are alive and thriving. Interesting plant.

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
Ok, please don't scare me now Royal :)

I took a photo of the plant yesterday, she is much happier with her feed and is starting to form the first flowers. There will be lots of colas and probably lots of pruning to do, all depends on the stretch, but my gut is telling me there won't be too much stretch. Pics are coming later.

Cheers

Sensiman12

Hey Koondense I'm having the same issue keeping 3 of them happy. All at 10wks, 1 is starting to throw nanners and the other has a weird leaf thing going. I also have one that seems ancient due to being 10wks in flower and looks like it's at maybe 3. They definitely seem hungry but not at the same time. Hopefully we can compare notes and figure out how to tame these bitchy plants

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Hey Koondense I'm having the same issue keeping 3 of them happy. All at 10wks, 1 is starting to throw nanners and the other has a weird leaf thing going. I also have one that seems ancient due to being 10wks in flower and looks like it's at maybe 3. They definitely seem hungry but not at the same time. Hopefully we can compare notes and figure out how to tame these bitchy plants

What EC/PPM are you running them on?

LostTribe

Premium user
They look much better than mine. Something must be wrong in my tent, they didn't want to bloom under LED qb but did when they went under hps. Are you on 12/12?

Best
LT

Koondense

Veteran
Hi guys,

sensiman, sorry to hear about your trouble with a5, maybe try shortening the photoperiod to 11/13 and reduce N in the feed. She seems sensible to N and has some issues with uptake.

LostTribe, thanks man, hopefully your plants will respond better to 11/13 as mentioned, mine are under 11,5/12,5 schedule and will get a reduced day length after 4-5 weeks.
As mentioned in earlier posts, i feel this plant line is spoilt with commercial grow nutes and lightning, probably having everything delivered easy she has trouble with different substrates and spectrum. The compost tea made a huge difference, the soil microbes help her get what she needs and hopefully she will behave for the next 10 weeks as i expect her to finish fairly early(11-13wks).

All the best