What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Taste of Africa from Malawi

Old Fogey

Attachments

• 20201121_113846.jpg
    20201121_113846.jpg
    983.5 KB · Views: 63

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Hey @Old Fogey , Sounds to me like you're judging my Oil by the colour of its Skin. Just kidding!! I've been using the same Oil extraction method since 2005 from Bliss Cameron and Veronica Greene's book "Marijuana Cooking: Good Medicine Made Easy". Bad Kat (Kitty) does have some wicked good recipes, thanks for recommending.

Mine does look more like that when it's melted. Using Bud and Kief keeps it less Green.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Old Fogey

Hey @Old Fogey , Sounds to me like you're judging my Oil by the colour of its Skin. Just kidding!! I've been using the same Oil extraction method since 2005 from Bliss Cameron and Veronica Greene's book "Marijuana Cooking: Good Medicine Made Easy". Bad Kat (Kitty) does have some wicked good recipes, thanks for recommending.

Mine does look more like that when it's melted. Using Bud and Kief keeps it less Green.

View attachment 18744674
Very nice.

This is my food grade 96% alcohol extraction, made from kief only.

Attachments

• 20220113_182112.jpg
    20220113_182112.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220319_135823.jpg
    20220319_135823.jpg
    959.8 KB · Views: 69

IndicaFarmer

Power of the Malawi

Power of the Malawi

Tested M13 first thing this morning to give you a better idea of her effects.Great day starter and motivational weed.
The intensity of the high comes up fast and hard.Can be scary at first,like at the top of a rollercoaster going over the edge.
Then settles into a super stoned feeling and lasts for hrs.
I have been stoned all day on this plant.It has been over 5 hrs since I smoked last and I still feel it in the head.Just wicked smoke.
Great energy and good for exercise.Also great for appetite.
The mouth has a dry woody aftertaste and the smoke is smooth.Food and water goes well with Malawi.
Hard to finish a full joint.A few puffs and set sail.

M13 gives the,I'm so stoned feeling and don't want anymore.
I like to have a bit more at this point and go over the edge.
Always testing the boundaries of space,time and the mind.

Super sensitivity and heightened awareness.The sensitivty of the body is that of an antenna.
You can feel and sense everything,even air pressure against your body,not just wind.
Can feel the body vibrate and tingle,mostly in the head and eye area.
Eyes open or closed the mind is soaring and M13 provides clear vision.
You can see experiences in front of you,but in another time or place and out of reach.
Makes you realize what you think is projected outwards.Thought becomes reality and reality is a reflection of thought.
Provides great insight to many things.

I was so stoned,I reached over to grab my toast and take a bite,but realized I grabbed my mouse instead.
Your mind is so occupied with deep thought,the body sometimes operates on it's own.
Do not operate heavy equipment under the influence of Malawi.

Some pics of M13 in a baggie I am working on.Can't wait to get to the bottom.
Puts me in my place and wanting more.Does that look potent or am I bsing you?

Last pic is the first M13 clone near 3 weeks flower.

I grew something called Malawi Gold over 20 years ago.I got the seeds directly from a person in Africa.
I ended up with 10 ft leafy plants without resin.I only have an 8 ft ceiling.It was a jungle in there.
People who have never experienced good African weed can do so now.The high is worth it.
Things sure have improved since then.Thx dubi and all involved.

Sticky Buds Stay Tuned
Great job man, love the Malawi. Looks awesome. I love the leaves, the structure and the budz, they look much frostier than I would have imagined. This must be a pretty well worked over strain, most African landraces are potent but lack sticky trichomes compared to modern hybrids. Ace did a great job with the selection on this.

IndicaFarmer

Zandar, your plants look about as healthy as they can be, and such small pots! I can't believe how awesome the buds on these plants are, I know this was a while ago, but I hope yer still killing it with growing, and also growing landraces specifically and producing some seed for yourself. Preservation is key in this day and age, so many polyhybrids and crosses.

IndicaFarmer

Hi wutwut

In your original description of this, you wrote the seedlings have shown this leaf variation from the start. Since the plants have grown all along with this weird looking leaf formation, and continue to grow well as you say, it must be just the way that plant is. The plants are individuals, not always the same. I've had plants do similar weird things, and often it is a phase that is outgrown later in life.

My own Malawi plants' leaves are not quite as symmetrical and "perfect" as with other strains I've grown. These Malawi have a wild look, a real un-tamed weed, wow I am looking forward to harvest! Maybe you should get out the microscope and check for pests as Dubi suggests, just to be certain. But I tend to agree with sativaman514 that it's nothing to worry about... particularly since the plants are growing well.
they say, give me some nitrogen! and a drink of water!

OZZ_

Veteran
Any pics ? It sounds exactly like a friend's plant. It was a sudden and unexpected change in the PH of his starting water. After being on the res for 24hrs the poor plant was looking like it had been nuked. A proper flush and resumption of feeding at the correct PH will get them back when in veg, if that is the actual problem. In flower it's not so easy of course so good luck.

I've been growing out homemade Blueberry x Malawi and Malawi x Blueberry beans in coco for over a year now. Hand watering to 20 - 30% runoff twice daily at EC around 2.2 - 2.4 during peak floral production. They don't handle any PH above 6.0 in flower whereas they lap it up at 6.2 during veg. I aim for 5.7 - 6.0 in flower and 5.8 - 6.2 in veg and they have been very happy. They like plenty of PK 13-14 too. I trickle the PK 13-14 at 1/3rd to 2/3rds of a teaspoon per gallon (0.4 - 0.8mls/litre), all the way through flower until the final week.They definitely love a flush every 7 - 8 days, from end of the second week after germination.

I use FlashClean to flush at 1.5 - 2.5 teaspoons per gallon and use half to two thirds the volume of the pot per pot. A 1 gal pot gets 6 pints or so, a 4 gal pot gets around two gal of flush. I don't PH the water at all when making up the solution. My starting water can be as high as 6 8 but the FlashClean works with that and I have not once had any sign that the plants don't like it. Quite the opposite, they love a flush and respond within a day. And unlike other flushing agents I've used, FlashClean has zero influence on the smell and taste of the buds. I really recommend it.

Btw! Just realized I didnā€™t thank you for this thoughtful an informative post, Iā€™ll definitely take all that into consideration when I re-run them but thatā€™s exactly what happened. PH spiked on me while I was away on a trip hitting 6.2-6.3 and locked her out while burning her at the same time. As mentioned Autopots are quite different than DTW ā€¦ mainly the need for lower ECs but still that was a very informative post full of useful information.

Thanks!!! šŸ¤˜šŸ¤˜šŸ¤˜šŸ‘Š

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I have grown out Ace Malawi regs running 11:30hrs on/12:30hrs off all the way from seed. A very nice fruity pheno with good yield showed its sex on day 34 and finished in 112 days from germination.

I have grown other strains 12/12 from seed too.

From my observations, a plant will grow through a regular 14 to 18 day seedling stage irregardless of the amount of light it is getting. It then progresses through a truncated adolescence before entering the flowering stage as per normal when under 12/12 from seed.

I have now come to believe that a 15 day start at veg level light is recommendable. It assists the plant in two ways; 1) the extra energy promotes root growth at a critical time in the plant's development and 2) the subsequent, necessary drop in light hours to induce flowering promotes the production of many of the enzymes involved in setting a plant for flower.

To summarise: I have had good results growing Malawi regs 12/12 from seed but my next run (of Malawi feminized seeds) will be "veged" through the seedling stage of 15 days at 18hrs on/6hrs off.

fully agree with the points you mention in this post @Old Fogey thanks for sharing your experience and insights. In fact, we recommend in the Malawi strain description > Additional Information > Growing Tips to provide Malawi seedlings at least 15 days of growth indoors before switch to flower, although i (think i really mentioned it in other threads that in a perfect world) i prefer to flower plants indoors that have already reach their sexual maturity indoors during growing stage.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Well I am gutted to report Iā€™ve unfortunately burned this Malawi as well as a doors x original haze. I am running them in the same tent as some modern day heavy feeding hybridsā€¦ additionally, this was my first grow on new equipment ā€¦ An 8x4 tent, with autopotsā€¦. And Iā€™m still learning the ins and outs of growing on reservoirs apparently. When I built the system I intentionally added two reservoirs so I could account for situations just like thisā€¦ that is, feedings of different strength when running different strains at the same time.

When I began this grow I had full plans to put the satties on one reservoir and all the hybrids on the second reservoir, but I did not do it from the start. During veg both the Malawi and the Doors x Ohaze were happily eating just as much as the hybrids. Then i flipped them and we headed into stretchā€¦ much to my surprise, they STILL were eating the same EC as the hybrids and because of that I thought to myself ā€œwell look at that I think they are going to chug right along beside the hybrids the whole way throughā€. Ummm ā€¦. No :rolleyes:

We went out of town on a trip all through week 4 of flowering, just as they began really starting to flower (and the hybrids were already well into forming buds) and when I returned the Malawi and the Doors x Ohaze were burned up fairly badly.

I definitely wonā€™t be doing that again. It seems that the minute they finished stretch and switched into flower production their EC needs dropped drastically. Lesson learned! Satties always on their own res and I wonā€™t try pushing them. On my previous panama grow those guys were beasts and chewed through 1.8 EC no problemā€¦ here 1.9 burned these beauties up.

I am working on recovering them now and I still have them going so if I can get them to rebound sufficiently Iā€™ll report back here. I still have the mother plant as well as another Malawi mom held back so I will definitely make another attempt at them and probably stay down around 1.5 EC when I do.

Sorry Dubi! Haha i feel like Iā€™ve failed the genetics :ROFLMAO::oops::whee:

Sorry to hear it @OZZ_ and no worries:huggg:cultivation is a learning curve and it's normal to find new problems when you change environment/growing media.
We also learn more from the failures than successes, and sharing your experience sure will help others.

Yeah, i think to feed the Malawis up to 1.9 EC during the transition to flowering was too much. Depending on the pheno, i like to feed the Malawis with ECs between 1-1.4 at that point, also during early flowering stretching. I only like to push the feeding up to 1.8 EC with the New Malawi Killer (and such Malawi phenos are the ones that tolerate higher ECs) in the peak of flowering production, that's the healthy limit with this strain i would say.

OZZ_

Veteran
Sorry to hear it @OZZ_ and no worries:huggg:cultivation is a learning curve and it's normal to find new problems when you change environment/growing media.
We also learn more from the failures than successes, and sharing your experience sure will help others.

Yeah, i think to feed the Malawis up to 1.9 EC during the transition to flowering was too much. Depending on the pheno, i like to feed the Malawis with ECs between 1-1.4 at that point, also during early flowering stretching. I only like to push the feeding up to 1.8 EC with the New Malawi Killer (and such Malawi phenos are the ones that tolerate higher ECs) in the peak of flowering production, that's the healthy limit with this strain i would say.

Excellent and very helpful advice.

I just took another Malawi cutting but this time it is off a Fem plant from seed purchased in 2021 so itā€™s likely to have a higher chance of being a NMK phenotype I would guess. Sill Iā€™ll follow your advice and stay at 1.4 during stretch and probably will get even more conservative and give a max of 1.6-1.7 just to be safe. If she asks for more then thatā€™s a different story šŸ‘šŸ‘