What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Taste of Africa from Malawi

Taima-da

i have to post this weird malawi (feminized). it's growing well, but it has these weird looking leaves since start. in my past round i got similar looking pheno from critical strain and it did hermed. i'm not sure about this one. anyone know what is this? i'm sure it has something to do with feminizing. (last two photos has normal looking phenos)
I have had very young seedlings attacked by aphids or thrips (sometimes only one strain, once it was only the Honduras that they liked) who transfer mosaic virus or similar by their infected mouthparts. When it happens early in the plants life a greater proportion of the overall plant, or even all of it, may show mutations similar to your pics.
I have one batch of seeds (dread bread f2) that show this to some degree in about half of the offspring and the parental plant (almost certainly) had a viral infection early on in its life.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi wutwut it could be variegation of that individual, or symptoms of micro spider mite (Polyphagotarsonemus latus and similar, just to mention it makes me feel sick, sorry). If you have seen such symptoms recently in your garden in other plants and the plants showing them have stunted growth, then it's most probably the second thing. Check the under leaves of the affected leaves with a 50-100x microscope to know for sure and look for mites and their eggs.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Does anyone know how frequent the long flowering pheno is (16+ weeks)? Maybe a better question for Dubi since he's grown the different generations. How many packs would it take to find one? I got one first try but it doesn't feel like a 1/10 plant 😆.

I looked through zanddars original report and couldn't find an ultra long flower time.

I'm mostly asking to try to get some data for breeding, I'm testing out Malawi hybrids and the long flowering pheno indeed seems recessive so far based on my poor sample size of 1 plant flowered and several vegged. The long flowering Malawi hybrids are like 50% smaller than the old killer hybrids and seem to take a backseat to the other strain, while the old killer can imprint quite strongly on the hybrid.

This seems to indicate to me that using the long flowering Malawi is probably better for a grandparent of a new hybrid since the genetics seem to mix more vs dominate, and F2 gen might be more interesting since it won't be dominated by old killer's rude aroma. Old Killer is a cheat code 😄, and IMO adds TOO MUCH power and hybrid vigor. If I wanted a super easy powerful sativa hybrid I would just give up and order from Ace again. I'm looking for new genetic recombinations.

I recall Dubi saying he selected away from the ultra long flower, and I can guess why based on the my experience with it, but I'm curious if anyone has attempted to work it as a line.

At you can imagine making a long flowering hybrid takes a lot of time so any data that can help me select further gens is helpful 🙏 I know someone else out there has to be pretty deep into Malawi breeding!

Hi nldfarmer You can hardly find such long flowering phenos you describe nowadays in our Malawi fem, i have been selecting and breeding the line in the opposite direction. The regular version still can produce recessive longer flowering phenos, maybe not so long as 16 weeks flowering, but slightly longer than 3 months stated stated in the strain description, if you grow around 10 females from the regular line changes are high you find one.

It's not clear to me whether your comments about Malawi hybrids is regarding to your own Malawi hybrids or ACE Malawi hybrid releases, In the second case i always try to add the potency, long lasting and profound effects, resins, vigor, yield from Killer Malawi in our Malawi hybrids, while at the same time improving the terpenes and type of effects with the other part of the hybrid.

nldfarmer

Hi nldfarmer You can hardly find such long flowering phenos you describe nowadays in our Malawi fem, i have been selecting and breeding the line in the opposite direction. The regular version still can produce recessive longer flowering phenos, maybe not so long as 16 weeks flowering, but slightly longer than 3 months stated stated in the strain description, if you grow around 10 females from the regular line changes are high you find one.

It's not clear to me whether your comments about Malawi hybrids is regarding to your own Malawi hybrids or ACE Malawi hybrid releases, In the second case i always try to add the potency, long lasting and profound effects, resins, vigor, yield from Killer Malawi in our Malawi hybrids, while at the same time improving the terpenes and type of effects with the other part of the hybrid.
awesome thanks this explains exactly what I was looking for and matches what I'm planning on doing with some home grown Malawi hybrids. I'll open a proper thread once I get some good data!

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Hi wutwut it could be variegation of that individual, or symptoms of micro spider mite (Polyphagotarsonemus latus and similar, just to mention it makes me feel sick, sorry). If you have seen such symptoms recently in your garden in other plants and the plants showing them have stunted growth, then it's most probably the second thing. Check the under leaves of the affected leaves with a 50-100x microscope to know for sure and look for mites and their eggs.
okay , hmm growth isn't stunned so i hope it's not that second thing. also the plant has very long "stem hairs" if compared to normal one. every leaf has colour change or curling or this weird dissymmetry since cotyledons. stems are very flexible and feels a bit like rubber.

xtsho

I have some Malawi currently in flower.

malawi515b.jpg

malawi515a.jpg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
you will need to check it out under the microscope to know for sure wutwut

nice to see your Malawis in mid flowering xtsho Looks a bit overfeeded, lower down a lot the Nitrogen from now onwards, yet keep PK reasonably high until it produces the last reflowering.

xtsho

you will need to check it out under the microscope to know for sure wutwut

nice to see your Malawis in mid flowering xtsho Looks a bit overfeeded, lower down a lot the Nitrogen from now onwards, yet keep PK reasonably high until it produces the last reflowering.

Yes I was too heavy on the feeding. I've cut way back. I'll know next time. I've just used General Hydroponics MaxiBloom 5-15-14 in coco from the start so I didn't think I was feeding too much nitrogen but obviously I was.

Emeraldo

i have to post this weird malawi (feminized). it's growing well, but it has these weird looking leaves since start. in my past round i got similar looking pheno from critical strain and it did hermed. i'm not sure about this one. anyone know what is this? i'm sure it has something to do with feminizing. (last two photos has normal looking phenos)
Hi wutwut

In your original description of this, you wrote the seedlings have shown this leaf variation from the start. Since the plants have grown all along with this weird looking leaf formation, and continue to grow well as you say, it must be just the way that plant is. The plants are individuals, not always the same. I've had plants do similar weird things, and often it is a phase that is outgrown later in life.

My own Malawi plants' leaves are not quite as symmetrical and "perfect" as with other strains I've grown. These Malawi have a wild look, a real un-tamed weed, wow I am looking forward to harvest! Maybe you should get out the microscope and check for pests as Dubi suggests, just to be certain. But I tend to agree with sativaman514 that it's nothing to worry about... particularly since the plants are growing well.

Attachments

• Malawi23.05.22.jpeg
    Malawi23.05.22.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Emeraldo

Dubi, I wanted also to say I am thankful for your work on the many wonderful ACE strains, and for being here in icmag for us who need to talk about them. I am growing three of your strains this year, Malawi being one of them. I would like to post photos and questions about the grow, of course, in the appropriate thread!

Greetings,

Emeraldo

ipchains

Does anyone know how frequent the long flowering pheno is (16+ weeks)? Maybe a better question for Dubi since he's grown the different generations. How many packs would it take to find one? I got one first try but it doesn't feel like a 1/10 plant 😆.

I looked through zanddars original report and couldn't find an ultra long flower time.

I'm mostly asking to try to get some data for breeding, I'm testing out Malawi hybrids and the long flowering pheno indeed seems recessive so far based on my poor sample size of 1 plant flowered and several vegged. The long flowering Malawi hybrids are like 50% smaller than the old killer hybrids and seem to take a backseat to the other strain, while the old killer can imprint quite strongly on the hybrid.

This seems to indicate to me that using the long flowering Malawi is probably better for a grandparent of a new hybrid since the genetics seem to mix more vs dominate, and F2 gen might be more interesting since it won't be dominated by old killer's rude aroma. Old Killer is a cheat code 😄, and IMO adds TOO MUCH power and hybrid vigor. If I wanted a super easy powerful sativa hybrid I would just give up and order from Ace again. I'm looking for new genetic recombinations.

I recall Dubi saying he selected away from the ultra long flower, and I can guess why based on the my experience with it, but I'm curious if anyone has attempted to work it as a line.

At you can imagine making a long flowering hybrid takes a lot of time so any data that can help me select further gens is helpful 🙏 I know someone else out there has to be pretty deep into Malawi breeding!

Hi nldfarmer, dubi,

I can attest recessive phenos can be found in Feminized line as well. I've grown about 20-25 Malawi fems and had one such a beauty - long internodes and slender leaves, stretches madly, smells like peppery fruits with a bit of sandalwood (no oil, no wood flakes and hazelnuts as in Killer phenos), takes 16 weeks to mature and is more euphoric and way less killer than usual phenos.

Cheers,
IpChains