What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Hillbilly's memoire of organic outdoor grown canadian strains.

XLNordic

Canadian early genetics have always had my interest as the climate is similar to the Nordic/Scandinavian.
Ive purchased Guerilla Gold 1 and 3 and just have some Mighty Mite from Seedheaven in the mail that should arrive within the next few days.
Due to time and grow spot constraints ill be reproducing seeds on GG3, Mighty Mite as well as Royal Dane and Leb27 at my guerilla as spots in forrest and corn, as well as early strains and autos in my own garden.
In Nordic lattitudes you have to use early genetics if you want them to finish outside

XLNordic

I hear ya Nordic, similar challenges here, they have to be really. Have you tried Iranian autoflower by Dr Greenthumb? I got some this year, grew them to a foot tall inside and put them out. They are budding right now. Will be interesting to see how they do.
ive looked many times at his genetics.
Also his Endless Sky for indoor and maybe crossing with some early nordic but his prices are out of my current budget
most of them are around 200 usd a pack ( the ES regular is 250) and since its outside EU and above the 125 usd high value custom limit, so they would be hit with 25% vat, then 25 usd in tax collection fee and then an extra tax for high value which im not sure about, but all in all a pack of seeds might be around 350-400 usd before they reach me :(

the IA sounds awesome.
please keep us posted on the progress

even back in my last grow period ( 2007-2010) there was rumours of Reibsis awesome Auto Affy.
i was also very active on another forum where we shared seeds and clones and we tried hard to get it to Europe but never managed to.
it could be a game breaker for breeding early genetics

Last edited:

Hillbilly69

Oh wow, didn’t know about the taxes, that would be too expensive. I did get the Iranian on sale, was $120 Candian for 10. BUT, I was actually lucky again to get my hands on some auto affie a few weeks ago. Came from a friend of a friend. Pretty sure it probably originally came from Reibsi. Has those distinctif 3 finger leaves. I'm currently giving them 24 hrs of light and once they hit 18" - 20" and the weather gets better they'll be ready for their outdoor pots and the start of flowering. LOVE this strain!! Will be interesting to see how the Iranian compare to the auto affie!

20230610_145211.jpg

XLNordic

Oh wow, didn’t know about the taxes, that would be too expensive. I did get the Iranian on sale, was $120 Candian for 10. BUT, I was actually lucky again to get my hands on some auto affie a few weeks ago. Came from a friend of a friend. Pretty sure it probably originally came from Reibsi. Has those distinctif 3 finger leaves. I'm currently giving them 24 hrs of light and once they hit 18" - 20" and the weather gets better they'll be ready for their outdoor pots and the start of flowering. LOVE this strain!! Will be interesting to see how the Iranian compare to the auto affie!

View attachment 18852452
that sounds really awesome.

if the AA turns out to be the real thing then make some s1
i would cut off my hands for some if that was an option :)
having those genetics to cross with others would open a whole world of possibilities regarding OD genetics

Hillbilly69

I was going to make some seeds this year with some STS I got my hands on but after the second spraying of my selected females my body blew out into a bunch of crazy itchy, blistery hives. Not sure if it was that, but the timing was right. Had to go on meds to get rid of them, doc said it looked like a reaction to chemicals or poison ivy. Have no poison ivy in yard so figured it had to be the STS. I Didn't want to take a chance so got rid of everything.

XLNordic

I was going to make some seeds this year with some STS I got my hands on but after the second spraying of my selected females my body blew out into a bunch of crazy itchy, blistery hives. Not sure if it was that, but the timing was right. Had to go on meds to get rid of them, doc said it looked like a reaction to chemicals or poison ivy. Have no poison ivy in yard so figured it had to be the STS. I Didn't want to take a chance so got rid of everything.
That doesnt sound well
Hope you are ok after it?
I never heard STS should be dangerous, unless you drink too much and turn blue, but i suppose some might be allergic.
I just purchased some small silver bars to be able to make my own STS later

IMG_20230611_031553.jpg
IMG_20230611_031918.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you got a dog or a cat and plays in the woods they can expose you to poison ivy. Poison ivy inches bad and has blisters.

iStruggle

Yup, I have a receipe that I use that seems to work really well. Only need to water until a few weeks into flower, then add a few supplements to finish them off.
Mostly made of high porosity peat mix, earthworm castings, soybean meal, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, a high P source (either bone meal or bat guano), and some powdered dolomitic limestone.
Let me know if your interested in trying and I can share the mixing details. 👍
How much lime do you add per gallon? I bought some DtE d lime but it doesnt have directions for indoor containers, dont want to add too much because it will raise your soil ph iirc

Hillbilly69

That doesnt sound well
Hope you are ok after it?
I never heard STS should be dangerous, unless you drink too much and turn blue, but i suppose some might be allergic.
I just purchased some small silver bars to be able to make my own STS later

View attachment 18853083
View attachment 18853084

Colloidal Silver is safe, but the ingredients for STS can be an irritant. Might not even be that, but I was elliminating all possibilities so that it didn't continue to spread. Was VERY uncomfortable.

Hillbilly69

How much lime do you add per gallon? I bought some DtE d lime but it doesnt have directions for indoor containers, dont want to add too much because it will raise your soil ph iirc

I use powdered dolimitic lime at a rate or 1 table spoon per gallon of peat based soil (promix). If you're using a different soil that has high PH I'd put less. Some soils can be closer to neutral so those wouldn't need lime, I'd just supplement with CalMag if needed.
Here's the base recepie I use with ProMix... I sometimes add a little chicken fertilizer pellets too, a local product that includes chicken poop, feather meal, bone meal (NPK 4-8-6).
20230411_130516.jpg

St. Phatty

View attachment 18852452

Your plants would prefer it if you covered the soil with mulch - as a Sun-break - and painted the pots white or covered them with something reflective.

Cannabis does better when the roots are 70-80 F, not 100+

When I'm too busy for that, I give the plants afternoon water, to cool off their roots.

Hillbilly69

Thanks for the input St Phatty. I agree 100% on the mulch over top. I used rock over my potted freezeland for now. But our weather here is cooler, nights go down to 8-12 degrees Celsius and days are rarely over 27-28. So the issue isnt hot roots, but more too cold roots, especially in the ground. That's why I like using rubbermaid containers, promotes faster warning of soil.
Cheers!

St. Phatty

Thanks for the input St Phatty. I agree 100% on the mulch over top. I used rock over my potted freezeland for now. But our weather here is cooler, nights go down to 8-12 degrees Celsius and days are rarely over 27-28. So the issue isnt hot roots, but more too cold roots, especially in the ground. That's why I like using rubbermaid containers, promotes faster warning of soil.
Cheers!

Mine is "nothing fancy".

The extra little grow thing I need to get around to doing is,
tape some mirror-paper from a shipping package
onto one of the black 32 gallon grow container.

The other one has a white-ish fabric drop cloth wrapped around it.

It looks like that thing Obi Wan Kenobi wore over his head in Star Wars.

About 5 months a year, it's like the Desert Sun Tatooine around here.

Except we don't have 2 suns.

Hillbilly69

Lol! You obviously get way more heat and sun than we do. We only get 2months in the summer where some days goover 25. The rest of the growing season varies from 10-25 degrees.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Lol! You obviously get way more heat and sun than we do. We only get 2months in the summer where some days goover 25. The rest of the growing season varies from 10-25 degrees.
Sounds like a cool dream to me, with only 2 months of heat. Here I only get 2 months of cool and the rest is hot and humid. I couldn't even imagine living in cool temps like yours hillbilly. I bet it gets colder than hell in the Winter where you're at too.

Hillbilly69

Oh yes my friend! With the cooler summers comes long winters. Snow usually starts in November and can go until April. We get 3 months that don't usually go above -10 to -15 with days that can dip to -35 🥶
Want to trade? Lol!