What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A great hydroponic system for small spaces

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
This system is very easy to build and it's also easy to obtain the parts to do so.Most of the stuff can be purchased at Wal-Mart.You can choose which size box suits your needs.You will also need an aquarium power head.The cheap ones at walmart work just fine.You are going to need a 3-1/2 inch hole saw and a drill to turn it.
The rubbermaid plastic storage bins are what I usually use although I have used the square 4 gallon buckets to run one plant on many occasions.And I have used the longer storage bins to run up to 15 small plants.

You use the 3-1/2 inch holesaw to cut the holes for your tumbler cups or similar strong plant container to hold the grow-rocks and the plant.I use a drill bit that is just small enough to hold the grow rocks and drill the bottom of the tumbler cups out very well.I also put a couple of holes in the side of the cup down low for an overflow safety.
You are going to have to go to LOWES or Home Depot to get the rain-drip parts.These are little plastic connectors,tees,elbows,black 1/4" tubing for the feeder lines and the 1/2" poly tubing for the main water line from the power head.This main line is just folded over and tie strapped to close the end and make it watertight.I use a trim nail to punch holes for the feeder lines to go to the cups.The feeder lines are continuous feed.This is a very clean system as grow rocks are the only medium besides the cube used to root your clones.
I'm going to post several pics to show the basics of the set-up.The first pic is of a running system with 2 of my mother plants in it.The rest are self-explanatory.If you have any questions,just Photo URL:
161Capt_s_pics_2905-med.jpg

let me know.Take care.................................CCPhoto URL:
161Capt_s_pics_2908-med.jpg
Photo URL:
161Capt_s_pics_2917-med.jpg

Capt. Crip

Veteran
more pics

more pics

pics of hydro boxesPhoto URL:
161Capt_s_pics_2913-med.jpg

Photo URL:
161Capt_s_pics_2916-med.jpg

Photo URL:
161Capt_s_pics_2912-med.jpg

Photo URL:
161Capt_s_pics_2910-med.jpg

Capt. Crip

Veteran
one other thing

one other thing

I usually paint the boxes if they are clear.I paint them flat black first to black out the light inside the grow-box.I then put a coat of white paint on them to reflect light and keep the boxes cool.Take care.....................CC

I love it!!!!......

I love it!!!!......

.........I got questions too:p DO you ever have root-rot or oxygen problems with the roots in either system? Also do the roots ever grow thru the drain holes in the bottom and if they do what effect does this have on the plant? I got NFT and my gullies are so full with roots its unbeleivable!!! I love your ideas thou especially how you ran the drippers thru the hole in the pot!!! Holding them babies down was always a problem for me so I tore them out but know this idea makes me think about runnin them again.;)

Capt. Crip

Veteran
Clam

Clam

Yes!they definitely come through the bottom of the cups,and they just grow down into the nutrient solution.No you don't have a problem with rootrot.The water never stops moving so it stays saturated with oxegen.. I've grown plants from seedling through harvest with no problems.I've been running these little systems for more than 10 years now.They work great and are very inexpensive to build.Photo URL:
161Capt_pics_024-med.jpg

Capt. Crip

Veteran
pic

pic

Photo URL:
16126-med.JPG

here's a pic of several boxes being used.They are on the floor in front of the table.

That's a table full of Superfruit in the rear!!!

It's all good....

It's all good....

..........yeah Mon....... I guess the hardest part is putting the drippers in the main line did you use a regular drill bit and then shove a rubber bushing in then the drip line? My system is a store bought amazon nft/drip system I can run either one. I started running the drippers then went to the NFT. I have to hand water seedlings for about five days then the roots are in the gullies so I run regular water for ten days then the nutes. I am thinking of using your single plant dripper on some mother plants thou. I am wavering between this idea and soil right now for mothers. Good show :D

Capt. Crip

Veteran
connectors

connectors

LLCB,I think you are talking about the connectors,the little plastic piece between the feeder line and the main line out of the powerhead.I use a trim nail,actually the nail is on a piece of wood to make it easy to push through the black poly main line.Just a little hole is needer and the connector can push right in.The connection is always watertight also.The second to the last pic in this thread shows some Sensi Star seedlings in a green tub.You can see the main poly line and the connectors stuck in the line.

As far as mothers go,,I would use soil.It's just easier to maintain and the plants are more mobile.I only have 2 mothers in hydro now.Over 20 momma's and pappa's in soil.It's just easier to deal with.
The little boxes do work well for projects and for setting up in closets.They give super-fast growth,but I know you already know this by using your system!
I've always been one to mix up soil and hydro growing.Hydro is so much cleaner,and soil seems to give a more compact,flavorful product,although you can make very tasty hydro buds also!!!!
Take care friend............................CC