What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A brief history of The Devil's Harvest Krew...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonshine*

Rare Dankness
Veteran
Ive thought about putting this story on here for quite some time. It was written for a friends cannabis magazine that never took off. Im proud to have been a DHK member. No matter what has been said or will ever be said about us on here or any other site; we (the members) know what we stood for. Hopefully this will shed a little light. Sooner or later the whole hoarder thing will be replaced with the truth......................................Moonshine

Anyone named here that didnt want to be named. Sorry, just setting the story straight.

The DHK......

Many strains of cannabis and the people behind them always seem to have a bit of mythology to them, the story I tell here is no mythology, its the True story behind the most notorious internet based cannabis genetic trading KREW……The Devil’s Harvest Krew…….

In the late 90’s and early part of the new century one of the greatest cannabis growing resources existed in the form of Overgrow.com. This place was the true wild west, grow information from all aspects of the globe were shared openly. Huge outdoor grows fully documented,, Greenhouse grows from all over the world, original breeders of many of todays popular strains openly talking and sharing info.

Shortly before Overgrow was taken down by the RMCP and the servers seized; a group of dedicated friends made an promise to acquire and spread quality cannabis genetics across the country by any means necessary . The Devil’s Harvest Krew was born.

From this initial, well intended, idea many relationships were destroyed, reputations tarnished, and a few people even fell into the hands of the police. BUT In the end, what started as 4 internet friends ballsy decision, in reality, changed the cannabis scene in this country by moving over 300 elite/clone only and choice seed selections of cannabis into every nook and cranny of the good old USA.

Until the creation of the DHK most strain trading was done in VW vans at Dead shows by way of bag seed or between very close friends. The only purpose of the DHK was to openly trade clones amongst members, protect the greatest genetics by securing them in trustworthy gardens and spread the rest into the surrounding communities with the hope that the diversity of genetics would encourage others to grow. …….And it Did….

A few of the original members of the DHK were Weedzilla, Outdoor Grower, Erawk, and myself (Moonshineman). There were many members later (you had to have 2 recommendations from existing members to join) but these 4 were the primary clone traders and who most people recogonize as the DHK. I’ll add there were many individual growers/collectors who never were official DHK members but contributed heavily to the onslaught of genetics that were traded during its prime. ORgn kid , MrDank Katsu , ThaDocta, Cronique, Swerve, OgRaskl, Romulator, just to name a few.

For over 5 years every vacation, free weekend, moment to chill, the members had; was spent moving clones from the West Coast to the East Coast and vice versa. It was a wonderful time to be a cannabis lover, many people didn’t even realize that there was a slow change of local genetics until it was too late. Until 02’ it seemed the only herb you could find in Boulder County Colorado was “The Blue” or “Cough” then overnight it seemed the whole Front Range was growing something new. I’m not going to take credit for changing the palate of stoners in the Republic of Boulder over the last decade, but the DHK probably had more to do with it than you realize.

If you have had the pleasure to smoke any of the following strains in your area, (outside of the hot spots in Cali) most likely they were brought there or ended up there because of a DHK member. Hash plant #1, Amnesia Haze, Trainwreck, G-Haze, Old Blue, HP/13, DHK Black Domina, Sage n Sour, SoCal Bubbleberry, BubbaKush, Romulan, GDP, Elvis, Godbud, Cherry Ak, G13, Laveau, Og Kush, SFV OG kush, Pure Kush, Chemdog, Schrom, Blowfish, Jackie -O, P91, Pink Kush, Purple Urkle, West Coast Dog, Cali-o, Chocolate Thai, Wrigley, Krystal Spike, Cinderella 99 , MsM’s Mr Nice , Purple Indica, Sour Kush, Tangerine Haze, the list goes on and on……

One of the most often overlooked elements of the DHK was the ability of its members to grow out multiple identical packs of seeds, compare the best females in order to find true Keeper’s. The DHK “Tangerine Haze” is one such example. Members picked up the original G13/Haze x NYCD from Soma seeds in 03-04 and over the next year each grew out his pack of seeds, compared the best females and it was obvious which female stood out (at least in flavor). Nicknamed Tangerine Haze this strain is still fairly horded even though it has been passed freely for the last couple of years. You guys can thank Erawk for that find!

With all the good intentions the DHK had in the beginning; a few unfortunate events started the untimely doom for the Krew. Diseased cuts, Trash talking but Ultimately it was a couple of the original members simply having enough of the internet drama that finally broke up the DHK.

In the end the DHK was known to be a group of “Hoarders” (Elitist growers who don’t give out genetics). The good we did was lost to a lot of internet hearsay. For every 1 strain we kept to ourselves we handed out 15 to 20 without even asking for a gram of herb back. On top of everything we stood for NO money EVER exchanged hands for genetics. A True Kinship amongst friends with a shared interest that existed even though we all lived in the most oppressive anti cannabis country in the world.

Never Be Complacent……Don’t let others tell you it cant be done…….I devoted the last 16 years of my life to cannabis and I wouldn’t trade a single day of it……

I appreciate this chance to set the story straight and at least give some insight to the rest of the canna universe as to the efforts of a few, well meaning, cannabis lovers that ended up making it a lot easier for many of you to experience these wonderfully rare strains.

To my DHK brothers who may be reading this: I hope we can all forgive and forget at some point. You guys were an inspiration and my best friends for the last decade.

Moonshineman

Last edited:

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
nice story...good know what was goin on back in the day. Thanks for playing your part in the spread of all those fine genetics...take care

jgrow

Why hoard any strain then, if you dedicated your life to it, why hold back. You may have passed along great strains but why keep the very best to your self?

ddrew

Veteran
There are many groups that don't go anywhere near the net, that have been operating in large numbers for years and years, they stay low, and quiet, but have had a major impact on the scene all the same.
Motor cycle clubs, the Vietnamese, etc... just to name a few
Most people don't know how big their contribution has been because they don't go around bragging about it.

Last edited:

Moonshine*

Rare Dankness
Veteran
There are many groups that don't go anywhere near the net, that have been operating in large numbers for years and years, they stay low, and quiet, but have had a major impact on the scene all the same.
Motor cycle clubs, the Vietnamese, etc... just to name a few
Most people don't know how big their contribution has been because they don't go around bragging about it.

Yeah, most of those groups are also responsible for spreading coke, heroin, meth and a bunch of guns and shit. That would be the "trading done in the back of VW vans reference" I made.

DHK only operated to spread cannabis. BIG DIFFERENCE. We also never hurt anyone or extorted money. Many of us never met face to face. How many people or those other groups did that. Give up freely what you cherish most to someone youve never met and only know as an online persona.

JGrow, No one kept anything to themselves. Pretty much anything kept by one member was in another members garden which meant it was also in the gardens of the local friends of that DHK member. For myself, anything super high end I got I gave it to 2-3 of my best friends. That way if anything happened I could get it back. Most folks dont realize that just a few years ago many of the "normal" strains around WERE the super elites.

Not bragging. Just telling the truth. Just a story just like the Chemdog stories OG kush stories etc. This story can be verified.

I knew posting this would ruffle a few feathers. There were many DHK haters. Like I said, I hold my banner high.

Moonshine

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dec29 002 (1024x683).jpg
    Dec29 002 (1024x683).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Twigster

Thanks for doing what you do, glad to see strains be shared with others. So we have chance to enjoy those elite strains 2:thank you:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow bro, that doesnt sound like a story w a happy ending...friendships destroyed, people in jail...just trading clones?and growing multiple packs of seeds to find the best pheno? man, that sucks...depressing. people have been doing this for years w out the disastrous results you describe... and still do this all the time, its commonplace...what went wrong w this crew? and why verify it? its just people swapping cuts right? we believe you...what exactly are you setting straight? im not sure i get the point...im really high...and tired...but curious about the truth re: the 'whole hoarder thing'....ha...lemme read it one more time...

zenoonez

Veteran
Thanks for the info Moonshine. It is good to know that there are groups really passing things from coast to coast and not just holding them.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Strain hoarding is pretty much a thing of the past but in a way still very much alive in Cali since peeps out west still very much clone dependent , at least in the indoor scenes . Always looking for the Holy Grail or the cash cropper the past 10yrs has seen runs on certain popular cuts /strains like the purples & kushes mostly "clone-onlys" that get hoarded & sometimes passed around ...and end up being done everywhere by everybody .
Californians being a very trendy bunch , lol we have seen the winding down of a massive push on the purples/PK & now its the SourD , HeadBands & OG's for the indoor while the OD guys doing alot of BlueDream, TW, Afgooey, D.O.G (west coast dog ) & again the SD , HB & the OGs .

Many problems arose with the rise of clone business in the Dispensary end where many just so-so genetics would end up being bought up by 100's of (new wannabee) growers & passed willy nilly around . Can think of the Erkle , GDP & one particular Grape Ape cut that was very guarded for yrs as the purple market dominated . Funny thing was that purples weren't that highly regarded in other markets outside of Cali . Only just more recently with the rise of so many seed vendors are we seeing a return to some variety & access to the elites like the OG's are more common. But not all clones are equal & almost hardly ever do u see any clone vendor actually ever do any rigorous beta test grows of their strains or clone selection with pheno selection in mind . So still many watered down versions out there along with just so-so midland genetics ....

** I've heard even recently bout this old school DHK group & that very many of the seed vendors themselves recieved their original cuts from these/you guys . Only recently was said to me that Rez recieved his original ecsd cut from the DHK . Sorry to hear these older alliances fell apart , there's always new alliances to be made & still a believer in teamwork to some extent & supporting each other along the way .

Nice read MM , thanks for putting it up

mrose

hiker

Moonshine, very informative and interesting. Funny how you can still catch grief for just trying to do some good with your passion. Wish I had met up with you folks at some point of my life, so much of the time I have spent growing has unfortunatly had to be kept to myself. Keep up your good work and I hope you had a good Christmas and that your health is continuing to improve:thank you:

E

EverLast

Thank U Moonshine U are real Cannabis Knight!!!

Last edited:

Moonshine*

Rare Dankness
Veteran
wow bro, that doesnt sound like a story w a happy ending...friendships destroyed, people in jail...just trading clones?and growing multiple packs of seeds to find the best pheno? man, that sucks...depressing. people have been doing this for years w out the disastrous results you describe... and still do this all the time, its commonplace...what went wrong w this crew? and why verify it? its just people swapping cuts right? we believe you...what exactly are you setting straight? im not sure i get the point...im really high...and tired...but curious about the truth re: the 'whole hoarder thing'....ha...lemme read it one more time...

Some of us are still friends. Some of us have recently begun to talk again.

Its true there are and have been groups who have done things similar. Though to my knowledge NONE did so big (we are talking 300+ genetics through the mail) over such a long period. And none did it right in front of everyones eyes on the net.

What went wrong? Honestly I think nothing and everything. Folks getting sloppy with packaging cuts. Post office and UPS catching on BIG time in 06'. Too many folks just hating on what we were accomplishing. Personally for me it was the death of my Uncle and one of my closest friends tossing himself off a hwy overpass that I just said enough. Took my break from the internet and lost contact. All good stories have ups and downs.

It wasnt "just clones". We were getting and trading clones no one had back then except the original groups that held their cuts tight. Those "just clones" were the ones people were paying 10K. We got em free and traded em free.

Why verify it. Simple. We ae at a point where cannabis is about to be accepted on a global scale. Our history is writing itself and there need to be some truthful footnotes. There are sotries of Shanti and Nevil traveling the globe there will be stories of those people in the US that added to the spread of genetics as well.

The story should also be a lesson. Go for it and do it big. But watch out cause it can also come crashing down. And for myself I wouldnt be where I am today if I hadnt flown my DHK banner as hard as Ive flown it.

Moonshine

Last edited:

monkey5

Veteran
MoonshineMan, Big ups to you! Thank You for the seeds! Thank you for making them for us! Thank you for telling that story, too! monkey5

Moonshine*

Rare Dankness
Veteran
No need to thank me. I never did any of this for thanks. I love cannabis, I did it for Her, it.

Ive said it a thousand times. Ill say it again. I wouldnt change anything in my life. Even with the last few years its been a learning experience the whole way along.

The main reason for this thread is the negativity that surrounded the group and not enough people remember OG and tha crazieness that went on there.

Gotta keep those new to the web up to date on the last 12 years worth of goings on before they joined us.

I should add, I was never on CC. There was a dude on that site like on Th@frmr that uses the msm handle. I was on OG and then IC mag is where Ive resided for the last 7-8 years. You find a msm somewhere else, it aint me.

aligee

Veteran
salute to you my friend ... oh i miss reading for hours on end on overgrow !!! good post =)

Space Case

Veteran
Nice to hear these stories. I've heard some insane things from old school growers i've met that were on overgrow. I, personally, was of the type that was way too paranoid to even type in a URL address of a canna-site, in those days! Just assumed we were being tracked each and everyway. Only glimpsed at overgrow back then a few times from people's houses that weren't growing. I always assumed back then that there was a massive worldwide underground network for clones, as there still is one today!

Another chapter in the book of modern cannabis, to be added to the good and bad that came before it...much like you said, with Sam, Neville, Shanti, and Arjan, we seem to have glimpses of perfection before all goes to shit, and then the next generation builds on the remains!

Keep spreading the goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts