What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Bird In The Hand

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I had a crow stalker for a while once long ago..it would raid my veggie garden and sit on power line out front making horrible sounds..when I came outside it would fly by over me ..if I went anywhere on property it would follow and land nearbye and make a racket..this went on for almost a month..till the day I woke up mad and with a hangover..grabbed the 22 and whacked his/her ass..fed it to my feral cats..no waste

paper thorn

Veteran
^^That reminds me of my brother years ago. He had a big tom cat that would bug him till he went out and shot a bird for him to eat. I had forgotten that. Hmmm, crazy brother of mine.

paper thorn

Veteran
Saw a Redtail fly across the road in front of me yesterday with a bird in his talons. He landed 50 feet from the road.

Couldn't tell for sure, it could have been a dove. But I think the wing looked like a Burrowing Owl wing. Predator preying on another predator.

I got some good buzzard pics somewhere. I hat to see critter getting killed on the road, but it does feed a lot of vultures. Saw 18 vultures sitting on power poles down a dirt road. Not normal Turkey Vultures, these guys are all black except for the ends of their wings which are white and their heads are white, not red like a Turkey Vulture. I need to google them.

Last edited:

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
There's an owl that hunts out of the tree in my front yard every few days in the middle of the night I hear him going hoot hoot. Pretty sure he took out a cat last week.

paper thorn

Veteran
Saw an Osprey flying with a fish in his claws. He usually just takes it up to the top of a telephone pole to eat, but another Osprey from the next pond over was flying after him. The first one made a turn to the right and the one following took the inside lane and cut him off. The bird with the fish tried to go up but the other was up to no good and outmaneuvered him and the Osprey dropped his fish.

I watched it falling about 30 feet down and the thieving Osprey dove for it and snagged that baby in mid-air. So cool.

It was badass. He flew off, the first one followed for a bit but then went back to the pond to try to get some more supper.

Last edited:

paper thorn

Veteran
Saw 7 Javelina a couple days ago, 5 Coyotes, and 6 Roadrunners.

Speaking of Roadrunners, a few years ago I was on a new home construction site, walking through a house that had just been framed and roofed. Standing in the garage between the studs of the garage wall, watching a pair of doves by the house next door.

The male was up on a pallet of something watching the female and a young squab, that was obviously on his first day away from the nest. The momma bird was on the ground near the baby. Then she saw me and did the broken wing thing, trying to lure me away from her baby bird. She went flailing between the houses towards the back yard.

I tried to tell her I was no threat, and then a Roadrunner came from the other side of some pallets of stuff and ran straight over and grabbed the baby dove in his beak and ran off with him.

Wow! totally freaked me out. Never thought of roadrunners as predators like that. I mean lizards and snakes, sure, but other birds. I guess you eat what ever you can in this desert.

paper thorn

Veteran
the osprey has been gone for a long time, but I did see him once the other day eating a fish on top of a telephone pole.

Right now, it's young sparrows, starlings and kingbirds, crying for momma.

Dready_jake

I've got a story about hummingbirds for you. Most people think of humming birds as drinking flowers and sugar water but they're omnivorous! One time I was fly fishing and there were two hummingbirds one upstream and one downstream and they are just buzzing around randomly I couldn't figure out what they're doing and then I realize they're chasing all the little bugs that are flying over the water and eating them. It was really cool cuz they didn't mind me at all and got really close

Betterhaff

Veteran
I was on a boat on Skagit Bay near Deception Pass and a bald eagle swept down to the surface looking like it was going to nab something. It extended its feet into the water and suddenly went completely under. I turned to the mate and said “did you see that?” He said “yeah, it probably hooked into a large salmon and couldn’t release”. Evidently raptor talons are one way, so they don’t lose prey as they fly. When it hooked into the fish way bigger then it was capable of lifting the fish dove and took the bird with it. We watched for quite a while and the bird never surfaced.

paper thorn

Veteran
So true, jake.

Was about ten years ago while waiting for classes to start one morning at a local community college. 20 feet away a hummingbird was hovering. Every few seconds he'd buzz over a few feet sideways, up down, to the other side, and then he would return to the same spot.

When i walked a little closer, I could see a swarm of gnats around him. He was picking them off one by one.

Holy cow betterhaff! that's a freaky story. Poor bird.

That's just crazy.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Here’s a funny hummer story. I feed them with feeders and plant hummer friendly plants. I haven’t put the feeders out yet or planted as it’s been a cool spring and I haven’t checked the migration maps.

I have rather large windows facing the patio and this past weekend I happened to look up and a ruby throat was hovering, moving back and forth looking in the window...like he was saying "hey, what's the deal, where's the food?"

waveguide

Veteran
yeah i put out a water bowl. if someone drinks it all in the night, i get woke up early in the morning by a thirsty fucking bird.

western humans don't give anyone credit. brought a plant in, ant on it, four hours later i go look and the ant is running in circles on a white plastic cup. that's daily for me, like a beetle will crawl all the way up to my hand so i will help it get out of the house.

better company than ignorant civilised people who try and tell me only they are capable of intelligent thought.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I am surrounded by ravens ...they are here as thick as pidgeons in the city.....very cool...KAWEAH= RAVEN CRY...........yeehaw...hung my new humming bird feeder yesterday...there was like 50 turkey vultures at the lake last trip ..I caught a whiff of death while out yakkin...someone ran over a turkey out front..sad waste

waveguide

Veteran
shot a cactus wren in the ass, it lives around here and decided to mess with me one day. lots of magic and shit around here. old time bird too so it was serious business.

bird survived, and we get along pretty good. you think most people you shoot them in the ass, that relationship is over, but i've gotten wasted outside and it didn't peck out my eyes or shit.

apart from surviving, it's worth noting to me because of the language.. different birds, different individuals are different, some birds know about new technology and ideas. these birds have "raucous voices" (and they move in squads like ninjas, most arizonans can tell you about that) and are hard for me to understand, but i noticed this one uses the construction "day-day-day-day" to indicate the passing of time. low tech like.

it's like listening to ring modulation, ~20-30 Hz modulator, you can hear through it sideways.

paper thorn

Veteran
Well, I have not seen the Osprey at the pond for a long time. I guess last year was "the year of the Osprey."

Years before that and this year, not so much.

I moved into a new house a few months ago and have cactus wren nests in my trees. They make the coolest nests. Covered with a long entrance.

One pair was a bit late with tjheir baby raising. Hit 115 degrees for a few days. One of the babies was sticking his head out of the hole panting. The next day both babies were dead. Wicked heat, the babies were too small to fly so could not get water.

Pulled my car in and saw the mom and dad fly up by my car. I worried that I could have run over their baby if they had him out on the ground. He was on the ground dead from the heat. They were hanging around...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
all kinds of birds at lake ...very healthy bird population ...yeehaw.. I seen some kind of duck like bird with like 22 babies...feel bad for that momma...yeehaw...